Question about Math recommendations.

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Molly

Question about Math recommendations.

Post by Molly » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:28 am

Carrie, I see you recommend Videotext Algebra. My blossoms are using Singapore, at which level would you suggest they finish up to move onto Videotext Algebra. Thanks so much, I'm just trying to work out where our direction will be for math.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH

my3sons

Re: Question about Math recommendations.

Post by my3sons » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:22 pm

I'm not Carrie, and she would know best, but I can say that Wyatt, having finished Singapore Primary through 6B, and Discovering Math 7A, could go right into Foerster's Algebra 1 with no problem. :D I think he could have without doing 7A. It probably depends on your student, and how mathy each of them are. I do think Carrie will get back to you, but probably later as she is in the heat of her writing season now and is 100% swamped! :wink:

Ladies - Has anyone else gone into VideoText? And if so, how far did you feel you had to go before you started? If anyone has that personal experience, they'd be the best to share here! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:30 pm

Molly,

If your child is doing well with Singapore 6A/6B and having few problems it is possible to go into VideoText Module A after that. If your child is on the young side, or has some areas of difficulty, you could consider doing a Pre-Algebra course to bridge the gap instead. Otherwise, if you wanted to start in VideoText early with a strong math student, I know VideoText has a recommendation for spreading the program out over 3 years when starting with younger students. You may want to give them a call to have them explain that option to you. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Molly

Post by Molly » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:16 pm

Thanks so much Julie and Carrie. That is great.

I think I will try Videotext after 6B, only because I am hoping I can get it all via the internet, as postage costs are so high to get anything over here to NZ so anything I can save is good. Even if it means I have to sit alongside her as she does it.

mamanlait

Post by mamanlait » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:25 am

Molly,

We moved over to Videotext after we were midway finished with 6B. I actually paused after we started and decided a Pre-Algebra course would be beneficial for my dd. She needed a short review course. If your child doesn't make simple mistakes in 6B (like forgetting to invert the second fraction to multiply in division problems) then VT might be okay directly after 6B.

As an aside, are you doing ok in NZ? I know the South Island has been plagued lately with God's rumblings.

Praying for you!
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)

Molly

Post by Molly » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:26 pm

Mamanlait,

Thank you so much for that. It has really helped. I will search and see what I can find for after 6B that hopefully won't cost too much. I figure I would rather they have a good grounding than try and get them through in a hurry.

We are great over here, blessed to pieces in a beautiful country, even one that rumbles and jumps. We have not felt any of the recent ones, they have been central New Zealand, so been bothering those at the top of the South Island and the bottom of the North Island. We are also an hour and a half drive south of Christchurch so have been blessed to only experience the big ones from there. I do ask though that you pray for those in the areas, as I am certain many are still very traumatised. I have friends from Christchurch who have moved down here, and others who saw horrific things. It certainly has been a very difficult time for many and I think there will be repercussions in lives for many years to come. I pray that through all this God will be glorified.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:08 am

Hi Molly! You could try Richard Fisher's PreAlgebra. He is a wonderful teacher, it is inexpensive, easy to use, short segments of DVD lessons, and does not take long to move through. HOD carries his Algebra course, but not the PreAlgebra. It is available many places though. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie