Anyone buy 2 teacher guides?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
arstephia

Anyone buy 2 teacher guides?

Post by arstephia » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:22 pm

I am considering buying another teacher guide for the Geography course. My son now does school in his room since I am so chatty with the youngest with the read alouds and things and he needs the quiet. It was hard dragging the guide back and forth for us (his room is on a different floor than our school room) and I know things got missed because he would come narrate, discuss, etc. but I wouldn't have the guide so I wouldn't necessarily be prepared to make sure all points were covered. He is a diligent worker, so it isn't a work ethic thing, but he and I both have to read something a couple times to get what we are supposed to do and to be sure we are on the same page, but I like to read it aloud and he just likes to reread and visualize what he's to do. Also, I am easily distracted and have a hard time concentrating if he just tells me what he's supposed to do. I need to see it for myself and get myself in the right time period to continue. (This was especially important when I was doing Bigger, RtR and MTMM last year. My mental historical timeline was all over the place and constantly being tested. LOL!) :lol: Sometimes at the end of the week when I would "grade" his notebooking pages we would have an empty box but not find out what/where was missed so it resulted in some backtracking. Sometimes he needed a supply/map, etc. that I wouldn't have ready or he doesn't know where I keep something, so there would be an interruption in a younger child's time. I have just been thinking having a guide in my space would eliminate some of that wasted time and I could keep better track of what I need to be interacting with him for and what he should just have completed alone. He doesn't like the distraction of post its or highlighting in his books, but I thrive on color coding, so I haven't marked up the guide book, and I think that has been part of my problem. The guide is well written and organized, but I want to highlight and make notes so I don't miss things. I haven't needed it for the younger grades, but I'm feeling I need a different approach for my highschooler since we aren't sharing a table anymore. Just wondered if anyone else has purchased 2 teacher guides and if it was worth it for you.
I've done all the guides now with at least one child and still feeling the HOD LOVE. LOL!
DD 9- Preparing
DD 13- Rev 2 Rev
DS 15- Geography

Motherjoy

Re: Anyone buy 2 teacher guides?

Post by Motherjoy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:20 pm

We don't have a two story house, ours is pretty tiny so we haven't had a problem with him bringing me the guide. Now, often FORGET to ask to see it, and wel will have the same backtracking, looking for what is supposed to be in an empty box.

But, if you can afford it, and you really think it will help, then go for it. You can always resale later. :) One if my favorite books about organization talks about having duplicate items in various places instead of trying to cart something all over the house. So it could totally work for you.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH