Finished Bigger....

If you are using "Bigger Hearts for His Glory", please share your experience with us.
moedertje

Finished Bigger....

Post by moedertje » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:08 pm

This was our second time around using Bigger in our family. Ds was well prepared to start it and did phenomenal during his year of Bigger Hearts for His Glory. Second time around is always such an improvement in my understanding of teaching a guide. :D my firstborn paves the way! :oops: :| we finished about 1 1/2 month ago, but my schedule did not allow for much computer time.

He quickly grew into understanding the Eggleston books and being able to answer questions and narrating. He was thrilled to learn about the Wright brothers, doing all the really fun hands-on experiments. His favorite was to show airodynamics with the blow dryer, the ping pong ball and the airlift with the balloon! :D

I was super impressed with his ability to do his note booking pages, his time line and his vocabulary words with minimal guidance from about the middle of the guide on to the end. :shock: :D

I also made a check off system (thanks to an idea from Julie, a few years ago) :!: with all his subjects on a Velcro board and it taught him independence early on. Toward the last 14 units of the guide, I did not even have to help get anything ready, he was able to get the Velcro subjects on the board, got the books ready and moved the subjects over as they were completed! :D

Ds started with dictation and rarely missed one, so naturally he loves dictation. :lol:

Math on the other hand, has to click and until it does, I get blank stares, that cause this Mom to get a bit anxious :( :oops: . So, sometimes we get Dad involved, he seems a bit less uptight with teaching only 1 subject :lol: we worked on 2B and 3A.

This little guy of mine loves to have his scripture verse memorized by day 2 and loves it when I am blessed that he knows it so quickly. I also enjoyed discussing the passages, getting his perspective on the verses as he usually touches on the verses from another angle! He's my deep thinker, which also requires a bit more time to come up with answers. When rushed, I got no answer! So much to learn for us Mom's. Patience is a virtue! :wink:

He loved singing his hymns and I'm so happy to see that he learned to write his cursive so well with 'Cheerful Cursive"! His favorite craft was the bear facemask he made to remember how Kit Carson fought off a bear by punching it in the nose repeatedly! Boys will be boys! :lol:

So, we are well into Preparing at the moment and I feel that ds was very well Prepared, no pun intended :lol: to move on to his next guide.

A big thank you to Carrie and her family to making homeschooling a success in our home! May The Lord bless you abundantly with His goodness and loving kindness, for all you do for the homeschool community!
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

Gwenny

Re: Finished Bigger....

Post by Gwenny » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:13 pm

Great update! Thanks for sharing. You will so enjoy Preparing. My daughter is about to finish and we both love it!

We are about to finish Beyond with my son and I'm excited to move into Bigger. It will be our second time also, and I think that I "get it" more this time around. I'm more prepared. The improvement in his skills from the beginning of Beyond to now is amazing. I couldn't see how he would be able to do Bigger, but now I do! Carrie is a GENIUS! :lol:
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG