Doing too much?

If you have used "Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory", please share your experience with us.
deut6family

Doing too much?

Post by deut6family » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:55 pm

Hey everyone!

I have not been on these boards very much, except to check out everyone else's experiences! I am loving the encouraging stories! I started Beyond with my 1st grader last year. We only got through week 14. I found it hard to "fit in." In addition to HOD we were doing All About Spelling, Calendar Time, IEW handwriting/writing, Draw Write Now and Math u See instead of Singapore. We are going to be starting 2nd grade in a few weeks and my plan is to continue and hopefully finish Beyond by January and then start Bigger Hearts. So now that it is a new year- I am wondering if I should cut out all the "extras?" If that would help us to get through the guide at a better pace? I feel so encouraged by everyone else's posts, so I don't know why I am hesitant to go with the "recommendations"- Except that I have a teaching degree (which doesn't make homeschooling any easier!) and so I am a bit of a curriculum addict!

Here are my main questions:

1. Is just doing the Beyond guide "enough?" for 2nd grade

2. Should I add in English- even though it is not added in officially until the Bigger guide?

3. Should I add in cursive? (she really wants to learn cursive, so she can begin to read cursive)

4. Does anyone have experience with Math u See vs. Singapore? Would it be easy to transition from Math u see to Singapore?

Thanks so much for everyone's advice!!! I want to do the "Best" thing for my daughter- and I constantly struggle with the fear that I am not doing enough!

StephanieU

Re: Doing too much?

Post by StephanieU » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:49 pm

At second grade, finishing Beyond should be enough. There is some grammar in it, and that is probably enough for her. Since she wants to do cursive, I say let her. But, say you are going to do some of the other work first. If you cut out some of the other things, you should have time for it though.

As for MUS vs Singapore - I say if MUS is working, stick with it. If one or both of you isn't loving it, then consider switching only after looking at the end of course exams on the Singapore page. Math is one of those areas where there are lots of options, and each one has its pros and cons. So, the key is finding one that you are happy with and is working.

Oh - and ask these questions on the main board :) That is where most of us check first. I just saw a new topic here, so I checked in.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)