needing help with math?

If you have used "Little Hearts for His Glory", please share your experience with us.
ckhunt

needing help with math?

Post by ckhunt » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:52 pm

Hi Everyone,

Our curriculum box arrived and I'm so excited. I was glancing at the math which I had not ordered because I wasn't sure about the fit with Singapore. But I love the hands on activities however I'm struggling with where to place my 7 yr old. She could use some Kindergarten math learning the teens, skip counting (by 2's), number value (less than/greater) etc. but already knows some of the material covered in the Kindergarten level. If I push her ahead to 1st grade, I wonder if she'd be overwhelmed as I heard Singapore tends to be a level higher.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kristie

StephanieU

Re: needing help with math?

Post by StephanieU » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:35 am

Skip to the middle of the guide and see if the material in the B book for K is about where she is. You could start there and then move into 1A half way through the year. The A book for kindergarten is quite simple, but the B book does pick up pace some.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

ckhunt

Post by ckhunt » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:17 am

Ok, I was wondering if I could skip ahead? I'll check out the book...

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:47 pm

I skipped A and started in B and it has been plenty challenging. This is where teens are started, along with simple addition (which Singapore approaches from several different ways so you don't want to skip it just because she can do simple addition already, the mental grasp of all the different ways to look at it are important to move on).

I think a lot of less than/greater than is covered in A though. And again, I wouldn't necessarily suggest skipping it just because she's familiar with a lot of it. It's much better to start with easy stuff they can breeze through and make sure they have a very firm grasp on it. The only reason I skipped A was because we had just finished another preschool math book that covered pretty much everything in it already.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven