Our First day of Preparing

If you have used "Preparing Hearts for His Glory", please share your experience with us.
wdworkman

Our First day of Preparing

Post by wdworkman » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:07 pm

We just finished our first day of Preparing. We got started about 8:30.
I had to take a 45 minute break at 9:00 for Grandpa's weekly trip to the grocery store, so I left Luke with his "Research" assignment & Draw Through History pages. Both were done by the time I got back! '
We were able to get everything but Math done before lunch.
I could definitely tell that his cursive writing & reading out loud skills have been neglected over the summer, but if every day goes this well, I won't complain!

Is anyone else starting this week? Does my time sound about right for a day of Preparing?

lovetobehome

Re: Our First day of Preparing

Post by lovetobehome » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:37 pm

Hi Janet! I am not sure if I will be using Preparing....I started back on Bigger last week. We did the first 4 weeks in the spring. So, today was day Unit 5 day 5 with it. I do love it, but I also think it is a little light for my 8.5 son (who is gifted), and I have Preparing on the way! If Preparing looks doable for us to enjoy at this stage, we will begin it next week. Otherwise, we will continue on with Bigger and enjoy a light year, and enjoy adding in more things that I don't usually make time for....foreign language, crafts, piano. I am amazed at how God is multiplying my time using this. Honestly, I have never had such a relaxed enjoyable but full school day. I feel like we are accomplishing so much in so many areas, in a very reasonable time---we have been quite productive, and I feel like HOD is a perfect fit for us. We can do LHFHG (for my just turned 6yo)and Bigger(for my 8.5 yo) all together , with math, spelling, RS english, and all that is in the guides in 4-5 hours. That with a 14 month old in tow! I have never felt like we were 'done' at the end of the day. There were so many things I never felt we had completed, I was always feeling under the gun. Now, by 1pm, I am DONE and I can pack it all away and feel a huge sense of accomplishment. And then, the kids can have free reading, play in the creek, play with friends, do chores, I can make dinner and play with the baby.....it is WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't say enough good things about HOD!
DS 11 Finished CtoC! Moving on to RtoR!
DD 9 Preparing- Hoping to give her the best year possible, and sticking to the guide as written!
DS 4 All About Reading, R&S preschool workbooks, maybe some Little Hands

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:59 pm

I'm not doing Preparing...but Bigger...I wanted to share anyway. :? I agree that it is such a relief to have a curriculum where everything is planned out, ready to go, and all I have to do is pick it up and start! We've only completed 4 days of Unit 1, but it is so refreshing to be done by lunchtime. We can get everything completed, eat lunch, then I can do LHTH (30 minutes) with my younger son. It's still a total of only about 4 hours, and that's way less than we were spending last year when I used a different package with my older ds. I do have to add the reading program but don't expect that to take more than 30-45 min. extra a day. I'm so glad it's going well for you ladies...just wanted to share in the 'happy dance' you were doing! :wink:

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:22 pm

Janet,

I'm so proud of your son for what he accomplished while you were gone! And on the first day no less! I told my hubby... "That little guy deserve a hard-working medal!" You must have trained him very well. Way to go mom too!

I think your time sounds right. We plan for Preparing... to take about 4 hours total, including all subjects. :D

I'm glad you ladies are having a great start to your year and are feeling a peace about what you're accomplishing! God is so good, isn't He!

Blessings,
Carrie