Rod and Staff 2

This folder contains threads that have been requested to be marked as FAQ threads. If you see a thread that you think should be in here, just shoot us an e-mail.
Polly

Rod and Staff 2

Post by Polly » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:07 pm

Can someone give me the brief but concise version of how to use Rod and Staff 2 Language arts?

I am going through a divorce, sending a child on a missions trip, starting one in college, keeping up with a preschooler.... I just don't have time to figure it out. Any advice would be great. I need something I can hand to a friend or family member that might be helping me homeschool that day as well.

Specific questions:

1. Do I do everything?

2. Do I do it orally?
Polly

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:03 pm

I'm using that now with my 8 year old and a little with my 6 1/2 year old.

Usually Carrie has us doing 2 pages in Bigger. 1/2 to 1 of those pages is usually instructions, the rest is work. I read them the instructions/info, then show them what I expect to do and they (so far) have been able to do it with little help.

We dont write in the book, we just use the info and write on normal paper.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:48 am

Polly,

At our house, with Rod and Staff 2, I usually read aloud the lesson straight from the kiddos book. This is because I want them to follow along and focus on what I'm saying instead of figuring out how to pronounce words etc. Then, we do much of the next part orally or on a white board in quick fashion. Last, I assign one small portion of an exercise to be done on paper. :wink:

With the upper levels of Rod and Staff, I still do it in much the same fashion. This keeps our lessons short and sweet. I do begin with the oral review listed in the beginning of the lesson in the Teacher's Guide. These are very well done from Level 3 on up. My older son could do much of his grammar on his own, but for now I enjoy discussing it with him (and he loves not having to write it all out). :lol: I usually keep his written portion short and make sure he does the diagramming in writing (to make it stick)!

Blessings,
Carrie