Week in Review - 6/27 to 7/1

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

Heidi in AK

Week in Review - 6/27 to 7/1

Post by Heidi in AK » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:37 pm

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Heidi
loving teaching my rewards!!!
Girlie (dd7) - Beyond, 4 days/week
Boy-o (ds4), LHTH, along for the ride!!! (all boy, whatever he can get his hands on, FULL OF ENERGY!)
Psalm 78:3-7

http://heidihovan.blogspot.com

Heidi in AK

Re: Week in Review - 6/27 to 7/1

Post by Heidi in AK » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:11 pm

We love HOD! What an easy and fun curriculum. Pray we get our camera thing sorted out. We can't find the small one with good resolution. :(

http://heidihovan.blogspot.com/2011/07/ ... eader.html
Heidi
loving teaching my rewards!!!
Girlie (dd7) - Beyond, 4 days/week
Boy-o (ds4), LHTH, along for the ride!!! (all boy, whatever he can get his hands on, FULL OF ENERGY!)
Psalm 78:3-7

http://heidihovan.blogspot.com

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:32 am

Hi Heidi :D glad you had a fun week.

Beyond week 26
We finished the Liberty Nature Reader,and Nathan loved it[non fiction is much more his thing ].Im tempted to find the 2cnd reader in the series.We have been reading a story in history about a boy called Nathan -and that was fun .I didn't make him pledge allegiance to the flag though, :wink: .We are going to watch a war of Independance re-enactment this weekend though-and he is trying to decide whether to wear blue or red. :D We have been enjoying reading Paddington [and thats very british :D ].I was dissapointed to find we had packed the wooden horse DH had made him-because it would have been perfect for this week.
We enjoyed the food colouring experiment

- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:40 am

Week 25 LHTH
Stanley has been learning about the parables of Jesus.We watched Miracle Maker as part of our studies.He knows his letters so well now,and each day he asks when he can start LHFHG[and I keep saying this Fall].We try and take school outside whenever we can,so I drew a barn with chalk and let him fill it with blocks.He drew a bigger one and filled it with blocks .He had so much fun doing this,as the blocks all represented something- tables,chairs ,beds and he would tell me exactly what they were.It was the perfect lesson[for us both].We are about to downsize and move somewhere new ,and it helped us to talk about not storing up treasure in barns or houses .
currently Using

KristinBeth

Post by KristinBeth » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:05 pm

Hi ladies!
Another great week. Heidi, I posted on your blog but I'm going to have to get that tortilla recipe! :wink: Spidermansmum, we're on the same lesson this week. I was a little camera-happy :lol: and took quite a few pictures of our LHTH lessons about Jesus' parables.
http://www.broomandcrown.com/2011/07/we ... ables.html

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:08 pm

Kristin-I think your barns were much better than my chalk ones- wow its hot where you are
currently Using

KristinBeth

Post by KristinBeth » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:23 pm

spidermansmum, the funny thing is I couldn't remember what a barn looked like and had to look one up in a children's book! :shock: :lol:

Dustybug

Post by Dustybug » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:33 pm

Mine is a little late this week! We had some unforeseen things go on that made us postpone two days of school and we didn't finish up until yesterday, so here is our week in review. We just wrapped up LHTH Unit 24(I think.lol) Is it bad that I am counting down the last 9 units of LHTH (even though we love it!)because I am SO super anxious to start LHFHG with my DD? :shock:

http://reachtothemoonandback.blogspot.c ... ek-25.html
Dusty
Mommy to
Gabriella (7) BLHFHG, ETC, Song School Latin
Aron (5) TMJ's Fruit for Tender Hearts, ETC, Singapore Essentials Math K
Lydia (3) Learning letters, numbers, shapes, and colors
http://www.tothemoonandbackblog.net

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:02 pm

Dusty -great pictures.I loved that Mater made it onto the brown page.Stanley asks me every day -is it my new school book today?.Im having very mixed feelings about moving him up to LHFHG though.
currently Using

Dustybug

Post by Dustybug » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:34 pm

spidermansmum wrote:Dusty -great pictures.I loved that Mater made it onto the brown page.Stanley asks me every day -is it my new school book today?.Im having very mixed feelings about moving him up to LHFHG though.
What are your misgivings about? I've hesitated, but only because I've heard so many say that it is a better first grade program, but Gabby fits perfectly on the placement chart I'm scared if I wait another year, she will be beyond it.
Dusty
Mommy to
Gabriella (7) BLHFHG, ETC, Song School Latin
Aron (5) TMJ's Fruit for Tender Hearts, ETC, Singapore Essentials Math K
Lydia (3) Learning letters, numbers, shapes, and colors
http://www.tothemoonandbackblog.net

KristinBeth

Post by KristinBeth » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:54 pm

Great post, Dusty! I'm excited to start LHFHG too, but I'm trying to hold off a little bit (considering starting school in winter since Fall is a time we can actually get outside again) because my older will just be turning 5. Thinking maybe half speed for a bit to get used to it.

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:21 pm

Stanley will not be five until next Feb and he has some language delay...I did LHFHG with Nathan when he was 5 .5 when we started LHFHG and it was such a perfect fit ,Stanley will only be 4.5 when we start ...and that has me nervous.However Nathan and Stanley are very different.Stanley fits LHFHG in many ways ,he knows his letters,is beginning phonics,so he is ready for phonics.He has started writing his name-so we have begun writing letters .The only area Im not sure he will cope with -is the listening and narrating the story.Partly his language delay make sit hard for him to express just how much detail he absorbs from stories.
I plan to continue LHTH at a leisurely pace and then start LHFHG at half speed and see how it goes.If he struggles we will have to rethink.
currently Using