4-10-08 Weekly Check In

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

MamaMary

4-10-08 Weekly Check In

Post by MamaMary » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:04 am

Ok Girls,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

mom2boys030507

Post by mom2boys030507 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:51 am

We have had a good week. All the boys are feeling better.

This week we studied the Revolutionary War. Bryce liked hearing about how our nation won its freedom. He had lots of fun sailing a boat across the icy Delaware River - our sink. He also loved learning to sew like Betsy Ross who made the first American Flag. We sewed lacing animals. Now he would like to make a blanket for his bed. He is a little ambitious, so we might make a blanket for one of his stuffed puppies.

This week I was reminded yet again what a blessing this curriculum is - it is so easy to pick up and do even with the health stuggles that I am having. I as a "teacher" am having so much fun and so our my boys. I am so thankful for having found HOD and the impact that it is having in our home.
Karen - mom to Bryce 02/03, Micah 03/05, and Matthew 05/07

susie in ms

Post by susie in ms » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:01 am

Hannah has really been enjoying herself this week. We have had some little successes that bring a smile to everyone's face. For one she has counted from 1 to 6. Another thing was grasping the difference between the capitals E and F. When I pulled the tape off of the floor to go from e to f I showed her how the letter changed. It was like an ahha moment for Hannah. :lol:

Hannah's favorite book of all:

I bought her the other Bible option for LHTH but she doesn't like it as much so we continue with the above. I think it is time for tape and glue. :lol:

I drew 6 pillows on the number sheet, I am so dissapointed you will not be able to see my wonderful artistic skills because I drew in pencil. :wink: I a gave Hannah some finger paints to color them with. She actually did good, but then decided the rest of the paper needed some help:

She automatically knew what to do with the Hide and Seek E sheet. She sat down and circled half of the e and then followed the lines. But that didn't last long enough for her so she decided that a little paint and a few random circles would help:

Now don't laugh at my Egyptian! At least I tried. :lol: Hannah likes this kind of thing. One day I didn't want her to play Crayola art any more so I told her we were gonna do something else. Her eyes got big, her forhead wrinkled, and she excitedly asked, "Glue?" So needless to say she loved painting the glue to hold the "sand" in this desert:

And boy did she ever crack up when we played pick-a-boo with Joseph!

Finished letter E e.

I know I have told y'all how much she loves the music. Well here is proff. Our player is on top of my box I keep books to sell in. Hannah will kneel right down beside it for 10 minutes just listening and then get up and play. As soon as it goes off she will start complaining, "Music, more music."

Now we have moved on from Joseph to Moses. She loved this story! Here is her art activity. I helped her to finger paint baby Moses in the basket. Now look, I hear you laughing!! You know my skills are better than yours! :lol:

Here is a page she did from Rod and Staff's About Three before I knew she had the book out of the book rack:

Hannah really enjoyed acting out the story of baby Moses. This is a first for her so it is really special. Look at my baby praying for baby Moses to be safe:

Now don't laugh at Moses being a girl and all pink like! The most masculine figure we have in the house was a scarecrow. Dh took offense to baby Moses being a scarecrow so he would not hear of it. So humor us and pretend that Moses is a boy in a white linen blanket. :lol:
Susie ~ servant to Christ, wife to Ricky for 25 years, mom to Trisha 22, Kris 21, Joshua 19 and Hannah Grace almost 4.
Loving Little Hands to Heaven!

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:36 am

This week we began reading The Cricket in Times Square for our Storytime block. I love how excited Hailey (and my son who is not even doing this program!) is about the story. She always wants me to read more...I just tell her she will have to wait until tomorrow. :wink:
This is our memory verse for the week. I copied it on an index card...it makes it easier on mom for dd to be able to just go grab the card each day and read from it. I do this with her. We'll check today to see if she's actually memorized it yet!
Hailey's read-aloud this week was Buffalo Bill and the Pony Express. Again, she wanted to read ahead, but we stuck to the schedule. She's doing a great job with her reading, increasing her speed and fluency. :)
This week's copy work. Hailey enjoyed reading the poem aloud to me. She has improved greatly with her handwriting...she's excited to begin cursive with ARFH in a few weeks. She's been concentrating on printing as neatly as possible.
Our day 3 spelling. Sometimes I have Hailey dictate her sentences to me and I write them on her paper, then she copies them. This week, I wrote the sentences on a small white board and she copied from there.
Art activity: Trinka the cow has been an enjoyable part of our day in History. We like reading about Peter's adventures with Trinka! The art activity consisted of creating a cow, grazing. Hailey went a little further and added ears and a tail. :? (not sure why this photo is so large :shock: I made it the same size as the others in photobucket...sorry!)

We are having such a great time with BLHFHG! I'm so glad God led me to switch back to this completely. Our week has gone so smoothly; it really does make for a shorter school day, even though I'm doing two different programs every day, and working in LHFHG 1-2 days a week with youngest ds. How does that happen? Carrie truly knows what she's doing with HOD! Thanks so much. :D :lol:

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:51 am

Oh ladies, I love all of the pictures! What fun!

This week in "Little Hearts for His Glory" my little guy is loving the rhyme "Celebrate Christ's Birth". He has learned all of the months of the year just by saying the rhyme! He said to me, my birthday is after the 4th of July, because August is after July! I was amazed. He also loved somersaulting when we said his birthday month during the rhyme. :D

In "Little Hearts..." we're also loving Danny Meadow Mouse and his many tricks. My little guy especially loves the writing days in the Storytime box where he gets to give the characters in the book advice! :wink:

We're also coming along with our reading, and I'm thrilled that my third little guy is starting to read some VERY simple books. This little one of ours has had some hearing issues and required speech at age 2, so we're thrilled with the slow, but steady progress in reading.

As far as "Bigger..." this week, our second little guy is really loving the poetry study that we've been doing as scheduled in Rod and Staff. He's r taken the lessons from our poems in "Bigger.." to heart (rhyme, meter, etc.) and is writing all sorts of poems. 8)

In "Bigger..." my son is enjoying "The Wright Brothers and Their Sister". I catch him peeking ahead, although he knows he shouldn't! :lol: He enjoyed showing the 3 routes Milton Wright could have taken to Oregon on the globe, and really understood how much travel has changed since then! He's also loving "A Pioneer Sampler" in science. His favorite this week was the experiment with the ziplock bag full of air that we popped like a popcorn kernal (with a much more scientific explanation). We all enjoyed eating the popcorn afterwards. :wink:

The boys are laughing their way through Emily's Runaway Imagination. I love it too! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:51 am

Little Hearts for His Glory:
The hands-on math activities in LHFHG are really teaching my ds addition well. In the picture above, I drew a train track with boxes for train cars, and also a train station. My son used crackers as train cars to act out addition math problems, like: There were 3 train cars on the track. 1 more came. How many altogether? I wrote the matching addition sentence on a marker board as he worked it out, and he got to eat the crackers at the end. He really understands addition so well due to great hands-on activities such as these in LHFHG. He also decided to color the train and tracks in his own special way!
Bigger Hearts for His Glory:
I love the poetry. My ds has begun to read it with such emotion, and he truly enjoys it so much! He is not a very demonstrative child like this, so I cherish it when I can see him excitedly reading poetry, even singing it to his own tune sometimes! In the picture above, BHFHG had him draw a picture of the imagery in his mind as I read the week's poem. He did a beautiful job. I'm always reminded of one of my favorite moments from one of my favorite movies when I see this love of poetry growing in my ds. It is in the movie "The Notebook", where Noah reads aloud poetry on the porch with his dad. I always think when I see that, how that is the kind of love for poetry I hope my dc have - and with HOD, I can see they will!

I enjoy reading all of your uplifting check-in's! What an encouragement it is to all of us here already, and what a testimony to those that are visiting the HOD site and seeing what it is all about! Keep 'em coming - they're inspirational!

In Christ,
Julie
Last edited by my3sons on Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:15 pm

We are in Little Hearts, unit 27 the Revolutionary War

We loved learning about George Washington! The activities and rhymes have been sooooo much fun! Here's a picture of Washington crossing the Delaware. They kept doing this one over and over!

We also enjoyed the Betsy Ross activity. They practiced making 5 pointed stars for awhile and then stitch up the best one. The stitching did not come out perfect (I only had embroidery thread, no yarn) but was fun none the less!

We are really enjoying Buster Bear. They just couldn't believe that there was a new character living in the forest! We are almost to the part where Buster and Farmer Brown's boy meet....the suspense is killing them!

We also read Benjamin Franklin by the d'Aulaire's this week. What a great book! And (perfect timing) Little House on the Prairie was about Benjamin Franklin yesterday! They were so excited that they knew all about the kite experiment.

And the perfect ending to our week....we had some pretty rough storms yesterday and looking out, saw God's beautiful promise. I apologize for the lovely propane tank as it was still pouring rain and I did not want to get off the porch!

Have a great weekend everyone!!
:D Mel
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

mom2boys030507

Post by mom2boys030507 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:53 pm

Mel

That is great about your kids wanting to "cross the Delaware River" over and over again. Bryce didn't want to touch the boat because he knew the water would be cold from the ice - so I was able to get him to do it once and that was it.

We also had fun with the sewing. Your daughters stars look great.
Karen - mom to Bryce 02/03, Micah 03/05, and Matthew 05/07

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:24 pm

I always enjoy everyone's pictures and reports. Keep up the good work moms.
Visit our blog for our review of the week http://escuelitaaparicio.blogspot.com/2 ... ew_08.html
Dorla

momof4

Post by momof4 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:20 pm

Hi Everyone!!

He is a link to our weekly review. http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/pazzaweekinrev/514727

Susie, your daughter is so precious!!

I love everyone's pictures!

Laurie
dd's 22, 17
ds 9 - Bigger
dd 5 - LHFHG

granolamom6

Post by granolamom6 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:32 pm

Here is the link to our week:

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/granolamom6/515559/

I love seeing all your pictures! It is so inspiring and encouraging to see what everyone is doing in their homes. And, you all have the cutest kids! It is very obvious that they are all very well cared for and loved. Good jobs, moms!
Christa, wife to Sonnie since '93

ds- 13
dd - 10
dd - 7
dd - 4 — LHTH
And another blessing due in March '09.

Visit my blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/granolamom6/

1shortmomof4

Post by 1shortmomof4 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:50 pm

Well, I've lost track on what unit we are on - I think it is 11 or 12, but what I do know is we are still having fun!!!!!! This week the science project was about how leaves get the water. The first picture I took (I really need to learn to have the kids get their chores done before picture taking) wasn't very good so I don't have a "see what happened" picture to share. My youngest, who is not doing any curriculum, was very stressed when he learned how no water meant the leaf was not going to live so we had to make the second leaf alive with water. Ahhh, my little life scientist, keeping me on my toes at all times.

We didn't quite get the unit finished this week with spring temps in the high 70s - boys just have to get outside and stretch their wings or else drive those of us inside a bit nuts! No stress, we have all summer to learn at our own pace.

Heidi