Week in Review 8/4 to 15/4

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

spidermansmum

Week in Review 8/4 to 15/4

Post by spidermansmum » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:55 am

Ok fellow HOD'ies- What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

Mandy

Re: Week in Review 8/4 to 15/4

Post by Mandy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:00 am

I hope I have this in the right spot. I was a little confused by the dates. We just finished up Unit 3 in LHFHG. We're going to be taking the next week off to focus on Easter. I'm looking forward to reading everyone's posts! Here's a link to my blog about our week:

http://lllath.blogspot.com/2011/04/kind ... nit-3.html

Mandy

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:22 am

I wish we ran MON-FRI weeks that corrresponded with a weeks lesson plans.We have covered the two days from week 19 and 3 days from week 20in Beyond .
This picture is not a good picture-but I love it ..because its says so much about why I feel called to homeschool .
This photo was taken during our week 19 bible study in Beyond -
Psalm 119: 105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.
108 Accept, LORD, the willing praise of my mouth, and teach me your laws.
111 Your statutes are my heritage forever; they are the joy of my heart.
The boys had so much fun with this.We had to do this at least 3 times-and the boys were so happy and giggling all through this it was definitely the willing praise out of their mouths and they were full of joy.Ive taught sunday school for 20 years and scoured resources to find activities that make learning the Bible this much fun.And here they are in HOD guides -every week .Well done Carrie.I love this unclear picture because it reminds me of the fun we had .but also reminds me why I chose to homeschool them.

Beyond suggested we made a numberline on the floor-we developed this idea a little-I made a number line from Kitchen paper roll.Just because I knew that Nathan would obsess about where one number started and the next ended.We had a very energetic math lesson :D
currently Using

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:29 am

end half of week 19 -begiining of week 20 LHTH

This activity -Stanley had to place the number of food items on a plate.Stanley is going to be a chef or involved in serving people food when he is grown .This boy loves pretend tea parties.He has a little tikes kitchen,a microwave and he has taken my handknitted mittens to be his oven gloves.... he loveD this activity.I loved combining his favourite game with teaching about Daniel and the Bible.
currently Using

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:39 am

Mandy-Im sorry the dates confuse me we write the dates -day /month/year.I often make mistakes in converting. I could have made it monday to friday-but then somebody might school on saturdays . 8)
Those little feet phonic games in your blog looked really good.Im really looking forward to re-doing LHFHG next year :D
currently Using

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:00 pm

Well, I didn’t think it would take me two weeks to get back to posting our week in review!!! We’ve had a lot happening! If you recall, about two weeks ago, I posted our short week because we were going on vacation. We left that Friday for Kentucky! Destination: CREATION MUSEUM!!! All I can say is, WOW! That place is incredible! We just had the most wonderful, educational, and spiritually amazing time there. The whole family got to experience some really wonderful things. Some of our favorites were: walking through the garden of eden, meeting Adam, Eve, Methusalah, Isaiah, King David, and the Apostle Paul just to name a few! We took in some shows there, too! We got to see Buddy Davis in concert, the Men In White presentation in the special effects theater and took in a few sessions at the Star Gazer’s Planetarium. We even had the honor of meeting and talking with Ken Ham while we were there! The kids just loved being able to meet the man that has written so many of the books they've loved! So many that HOD uses as well! I just can’t say enough for what a wonderful family time this was for us and highly recommend it for anyone wanting to dig deeper into God’s Word!

Image Image Image

We were able to tour through Noah’s Ark when he was building it, and learned so much along the way. We also walked through the botanical gardens, and got to meet a camel up close and personal. So what does this have to do with HOD, you ask? Almost everything!!! So many times through our trip, the kids kept commenting, “Mom, look! Remember, we learned that this year!!!” God has really blessed this trip by giving us the foundation of learning that we have with HOD. So much of what we saw went so much deeper into the minds and hearts of my children (as well as my husband and I), because of what we’re learning in school!

Image Image Image Image

I thought we’d be able to pick up with school when we came home, but the kids were pretty tuckered out from everything and we just decided to take Wed.-Fri. to finish out our spring break. My plan was to start up school on Monday. Well on Sunday night we returned home from the evening service at church to find this:

Image Image Image

A tornado with 140mph winds hit our property. PRAISE THE LORD we were at church when it happened, and we are all safe and sound! Our house, by the awesome grace of God is perfectly safe, too!!! In the one picture, trees were across our road and lines were down in the road making it impassible until the next day! We did have some damage to some other buildings, although minor, and as you can see we lost a lot of trees! One of the trees pictured was over a hundred years old!

I had started coming down with what I thought was a bad cold on Sunday night, and then by about Tuesday, I couldn’t deny I was sick. I went in and found out I had strep throat and two ear infections! I don’t know if we’ve ever had a crazier week! PRAISE THE LORD, we were able to get a full week out of school anyway! I don’t know how it all happened, but with HOD it was so easy to just pick up our books and have the comfort and stability that it provides. Through all the crazieness, my children were encouraging others and each other by reciting so many of the verses that they’ve learned this year. Most of all I kept hearing Psalm 4:8, “I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.” How true that is! Thank you HOD for allowing God to use this curriculum for His glory! :D

We really enjoyed so much of our school time this week. I didn’t capture the pictures I wanted to, mostly because we just so enjoyed our time together and I didn’t worry about finding my camera. I think my card was full anyway from trip/tornado pictures! :roll: I did get one of the beautiful meal my son prepared for us, for his Unit 25 Medieval Meal. It was so good and such a great learning experience!

I hope everyone had a much calmer week than we did! :wink:

Blessings! :D
Last edited by momtofive on Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:37 pm

Lisa -Im so pleased you were safe .One day I would love to take our children to the creation museum .Love the pics :D .
currently Using

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:20 pm

We're thankful, too! :D To God be all the glory! Seeing His Hand through all the circumstances is just amazing! The big tree that came down, was leaning towards our house. There was almost no way of cutting it down without it damaging our house. God used the tornado to safely take down the tree, saving our house! Crazy, but we're thankful! :D

I hope it's okay to post all the other "life stuff" on here that isn't directly related to HOD. To us, it was all linked to HOD, because of the way God has used this curriculum in our lives. It's more than just school work! :wink:

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:47 am

Those dates are a little confusing...but then I realized the momma posting it is from the UK...that, and we don't have a 15th month. :lol:

Sorry I have been MIA for a bit. We have had lots of obligations and busy days over the last 3 weeks and I haven't posted my updates like I planned to do. :(

The week of April 8-15, we took time off from school to recoup. We had a yard sale a couple of those days and I got the house cleaned and the laundry caught back up. We have 5 weeks of school left and will hopefully finish up by May 20. I already have next year's HOD on the shelves and ready to use, but we are taking the entire summer off this year and will not start back up until mid-August.

We had a very good first day back to school today (4/18), so hopefully I will have a great update for you all on Friday! God be with you this week of Easter and may each of you remember that Jesus took the scars, the pain, and the suffering so that we could be redeemed! I am so unworthy of His love...yet He loves me anyway.
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:39 pm

Yes Im sorry-I try really hard to reverse my days -but alas-my englishness shines through ..If I edit the dates now then it would make the other posts seem off-so I left it .I will try harder next time :D
currently Using

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:00 pm

Ladies,

I really enjoyed reading your week-in-reviews. :D

Mandy,
I loved seeing your kiddos' smiling faces and their scented experiment! What cute pictures. It looks like you are enjoying LHFHG!

spidermansmum,
What a precious picture of letting the Lord's word be a light unto your boys' path. :D I am so glad to hear about your kiddo's progress and all that they are learning. What precious boys you have! :D

Lisa,
Your visit to the Creation Museum sounds wonderful! :D I am so glad that both you and your family were safe during the high winds you had! What a blessing for your kiddos to encourage one another through Scripture this week. The medieval meal looks delicious.

Rebecca,
It sounds like you're on a good schedule to finish up your year. I've enjoyed reading your weekly check-in's and following your family through this year. :D

Thanks to each of you for sharing a glimpse into your lives this week. :D So many, many families are encouraged by what you share. It inspires each of us to finish the journey the Lord is equipping is to take! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:48 pm

spidermansmum wrote:Yes Im sorry-I try really hard to reverse my days -but alas-my englishness shines through ..If I edit the dates now then it would make the other posts seem off-so I left it .I will try harder next time :D

haha - no need for revisions. I like it. :) You just have to give us slow westerners time to catch up. LOL :wink:
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.