4-3-08 Weekly Check In

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

1shortmomof4

Post by 1shortmomof4 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:01 am

Oh gosh, no pictures this week. It was kind of a strange week when daddy works long shift work and we take extra oddball school time to spend it with him sooooooo things get somewhat off track but it all does get done in the end which is the BEAUTIFUL WAYS of HOD! Family and faith and then school.... at any rate, my ds (Beyond) made a beautiful map of the Plymouth and enjoyed the Indian (that should be capped right?) stories. Still working wonderfully through his spelling and I need to focus more on the Bible portion. We still have 2 more days from the unit to complete. It is just soooo nice to hear him be happy about coming to the table to do school. Well, guess that is all to report this week - little brother wasn't too interested in joining in this week as his mission has been "little green soldier" missions and battlefields but that is okay as he is learning a lot of creative thinking and mastery of the minds (I do believe I saw daddy helping him make a battlefield of hills with pillows and blankets and then carefully strategizing the placement of tanks and air support - did I mention Dad was/is a Marine?). ha ha!
Heidi

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:47 am

Elmeryl,

I wanted to just pop-in and give you some encouragement as you begin "Bigger..."! :D If your son has been used to a workbook-style curriculum, then it is going to take him awhile to adjust to this change in curriculum styles.

Often workbook type kiddos have gotten used to being able to fairly quickly (and sometimes mindlessly) fill in papers and have been pretty much in control of their day (when I complete "x" number of pages I'm done)! So, this is a shift in their comfort zone to read but then have to discuss, do, retell, recite, etc. It requires a whole different type of thinking and responding. :wink:

When developing new skills, it is hard at first and requires more adjustment, but you'll also see a different kind of fruit then you have seen in the past. You will see more connections being made, more long-term retention of concepts, and more habits being formed that serve to encourage life-long learning. So, I'll just encourage you to persevere in good spirits knowing it will take at least a month to get acquainted with a new style of learning. I want to assure you that the memories of learning together that you'll create as you go will be worth the effort. :wink:

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:08 am

Carrie wrote:Elmeryl,

I wanted to just pop-in and give you some encouragement as you begin "Bigger..."! :D If your son has been used to a workbook-style curriculum, then it is going to take him awhile to adjust to this change in curriculum styles.

Often workbook type kiddos have gotten used to being able to fairly quickly (and sometimes mindlessly) fill in papers and have been pretty much in control of their day (when I complete "x" number of pages I'm done)! So, this is a shift in their comfort zone to read but then have to discuss, do, retell, recite, etc. It requires a whole different type of thinking and responding. :wink:

When developing new skills, it is hard at first and requires more adjustment, but you'll also see a different kind of fruit then you have seen in the past. You will see more connections being made, more long-term retention of concepts, and more habits being formed that serve to encourage life-long learning. So, I'll just encourage you to persevere in good spirits knowing it will take at least a month to get acquainted with a new style of learning. I want to assure you that the memories of learning together that you'll create as you go will be worth the effort. :wink:
I want to encourage you as well, Elmeryl! I agree with what Carrie has said here so much. My ds would be quite content being a workbook kid - he's good at them, he likes to check them off, and quickly move on. I myself could have been that way. Did you ever do SRA as a kid? It's kind of like that. Cards you move through independently, level by level. I LOVED that - but it really didn't teach me much.

I think this is exactly the reason my ds needs the other skills so much! He needs to learn to respond with words, actions, creativity, and emotions. This is hard for him. It does not come naturally to him. He likes predictable answer, predictable outcomes - and workbooks give that to him. They don't parallel real life very well though.

As you can see from my check-in post this week though, he is really getting it now, building those important skills, and enjoying it too! In future relationships and jobs, I know he'll need to have all of these skills too, so I'm so glad he's learning it now, rather than learning them later. Give it a little time, and you will surely see the fruits of it in your ds!!!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

SheriPrescott

Oops...

Post by SheriPrescott » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:55 am

I'm new to posting information about our week and I think I made another subject instead of just adding to everyones. Sorry!

But, I have posted a great painting on my blog of little Savannah (4-years-old) enjoying painting a picture of Jesus going back up to his Father in Heaven! (http://sheriprescott.blogspot.com) We are very thankful for "Little Hands to Heaven!"

Have a great week everyone and again I apologize...

~ Sheri
http://sheriprescott.blogspot.com
Sweet Daughter ~ 5 years old, 1st grade, Little Hearts For His Glory
Sweet Daughter ~ 2 years old
Precious Baby Boy ~ Due August 20th, 2008

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:03 am

Sheri,

What a precious picture! Thanks so much for sharing! I"ll remove your other thread, since you posted it here too! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Re: Oops...

Post by my3sons » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:29 am

SheriPrescott wrote:I'm new to posting information about our week and I think I made another subject instead of just adding to everyones. Sorry!

But, I have posted a great painting on my blog of little Savannah (4-years-old) enjoying painting a picture of Jesus going back up to his Father in Heaven! (http://sheriprescott.blogspot.com) We are very thankful for "Little Hands to Heaven!"

Have a great week everyone and again I apologize...

~ Sheri
I loved your beautiful blog! Your little girl painting was precious. Thanks for sharing, Sheri!

I wish I could respond to each person, but I think by the time I do, we may be at the next check-in... so, I'll just say that reading these weekly check-in's is a very treasured time for me. Thanks for keeping it upbeat and personal!!!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie