Weekly Review 11/22 to 11/26

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

my3sons

Weekly Review 11/22 to 11/26

Post by my3sons » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:24 am

Ok Girls,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Re: Weekly Review 11/22 to 11/26

Post by my3sons » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:43 am

Happy Thanksgiving! :D We had a short week of school due to the holiday, but we still had such a good week I thought I'd post a bit about it. Since my older 2 sons went on a deer hunt with my dh on Friday, I did the most school with my littlest guy.

Little Hands to Heaven:
Gluing, gluing, gluing - my ds cannot get enough. The more glue the better, but getting his hands sticky he does not like. So lots of glue, and lots of dropping from high heights the cereal pieces, hoping upon hope they land on the large pools of glue on the letter. Mom comes in and saves the day to move the ones that missed back into line. :wink: M-M-Marevlous work but a M-M-Miracle if it ever hit the glue! :D
Image Image Image

This weekend my ds sounded out M-U-G on the mug root beer can he was drinking. I dare say we may need to begin some easy phonics soon. We always do 1 1/2 to 2 years of it anyway, so why not start? If there's one thing I do love, it's when my dc can read. It is a QUIET activity to be enjoyed by all - most of all mom, as 3 boys are not often engaged in quiet activities. :wink:

Pouring, pouring, pouring - my ds cannot get enough. The Bible story was about the miracle of the oil jar never being empty until all the jars the lady had gathered from her neighbors were full. The first activity was to place empty jars/bowls all around the house and have Emmett knock on the "door" to ask to borrow the jar. At the first door, he knocked and looked at the bowl and said, "Rapunzel, can I have a jar?" (long story, I'm growing my hair out, my dh has a funny sense of humor, etc.) Anyway, I politely told him I was not "Rapunzel". Utter confusion on his face. At the next door, he knocked and said, "Uhhhh, hey lady, may I please have a jar for my oil?" I let that one fly - better than Rapunzel, right? I believe my ds has said the "hey lady, I need some oil" phrase at least 30 times now, for he reenacted that story again... and again... and again.. over the week. :lol:
Image Image Image

He also LOVED the yellow food coloring and the pouring of the water in the different bowls/glasses, and did that again... and again... and again... We are now out of just the yellow food coloring. I wish they sold those separately - do they? 8)
Image Image Image Image

The prayer of thankfulness at the end was my favorite. :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:02 pm

Bigger Hearts for His Glory:
The food chain we learned about in John Audubon's book was fun for my ds to do his science experiment on! He rearranged the cards, "owl", "mice", "plants, berries, etc." in a row, and learned the meanings for "herbivores" and "carnivores". He liked doing his lab sheet because he drew the owl with the mouse in his clutches flying over the berries. He was quite proud of his interpretation of the food chain! :D
Image Image

Riley enjoys the art projects of HOD so much, and this painting of the tree was a favorite! "It looks very authentic" Riley said, and I agree! Plus, he learned about symmetry. You have to love it when art teaches math too! :D
Image Image

Resurrection to Reformation:
I did a pitiful job of taking pics of my oldest ds this week. I will strive to do better next week. :( Wyatt is doing a great job on his research. He uses Wikipedia online, and then puts his answers in the form of a postcard in his RTR Student Notebook. He really has gotten good at it, and it is something he truly can do independently. Finding answers in resources such as search engines is important in today's world, so I'm glad he can already do it pretty well. On a side note, we do have the rule of no computers in bedrooms, and no online time without another adult in the room already. I figure it will hopefully reduce temptations that may arise in the future.

Wyatt's RTR Student Notebook is coming together so well. It really is going to be a neat keepsake of the year. He really loved his Storytime book about John Wycliffe - I am so glad we have those kinds of books in the plans too. I look at them as little vignettes of learning that come along side the bigger picture woven in the Reading about History books. Together they make a powerful impression of the time period. Wyatt saves the last few page for me to read, and I enjoy that - they are good books. :D In general, I see my ds becoming more and more independent with his work, and taking confidence and joy in that. We are doing "Boyhood and Beyond' together (an outstanding book BTW), and it is about becoming a man. He is! It's happening before my very eyes - kind of exciting, kind of scary, but a blessing to behold over all. Thanks for the guidance in this regard too HOD - coming from a family of all girls to raising a family of all boys, I need help! It is appreciated. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:27 pm

Julie, your boys looked like they all had fun this week!

Here's the post from my blog about our week with LHFHG:

http://cherish-each-moment.blogspot.com ... ek-16.html
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:17 pm

We had a wonderful and blessed week this week. We did not do school, but we did spend the week with my momma for Thanksgiving! :) After we ate Thanksgiving dinner, my girlfriend, my mom, and I headed out to start shopping. :) It was just CRAZY - we left at 11pm on Thurs. night and got home at 11am Friday morning. :) A little nutty, but it was lots of FUN!

Now, my mom is back home and the rest of us are just relaxing and enjoying the remainder of our break. My house is clean and the Christmas decor is up - all except for the big tree (which won't go up until the 19th of Dec).

We are excited to get back to HOD and school on Monday. Breaks are great, but so is our routine! :) Hope everyone has a wonderful upcoming week! :D
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

gazelle

Post by gazelle » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:42 pm

This week was insane as the weather in the northwest went from 60degrees F and sun to snow blizzard and 19degrees F within a day. Our power was out for 33hrs (we did have heat from a wood stove) and the pipes froze so we had no water (10 liters of bottled emergency H2O) :shock: Yet through all this, HOD was our life and stress saver. We lit the candles and I said let us do school. The children relaxed and cuddled as we read and jumped and sang their way through the blizzard. Hurray! Each day was stressful as I was being a pioneer woman, but the children cheerful and made connections ever day.
Unit 7, day 5 to unit 8 day2 LHFHG
Abbey (5) wrote out Psalms121:2 My help comes form the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth. Her hand writing was upper/lower case combo, the letters were formed well as a product of the fine motor skills taught from HOD. We sent it to an elder women in our church and Abbey commented that we need help right now, don't we. I said, "yes, but..." and we all quoted the verse. God has great timing. :D
Isaiah (6) had a great time hitting the Goliath target on day 1. Every time he hit he shouted "our God is stronger then any one else. The battle IS the Lord's" he once looked out the snow and shouted the same thing. He loved helping his sister act out the Peter Rabbit story and loves reading Laura's Animal Adventures. They giggled when Pa hit the tree stump. :lol: Isaiah thought about Ma holding the baby when Pa didn't come home, and asked if I worried if daddy would come home in the snow. I answered with Psalms 56:3 when I am afraid, I will trust in You. :shock: Talk about those verses being important this week.
The power is on and we now have water and the snow is all gone. The children did well and really applied their Schooling to life. Thanks
Karen
Married to my love and best friend 16 yrs
Ds 11 Preparing, rightstart math D
dd 8 Preparing, rightstart math C
ds 6 LHFHG, rightstart math A
dd newborn (my gift from God)
Done Little Hands, Lhfhg, Beyond, Bigger

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:00 pm

gazelle wrote:This week was insane as the weather in the northwest went from 60degrees F and sun to snow blizzard and 19degrees F within a day. Our power was out for 33hrs (we did have heat from a wood stove) and the pipes froze so we had no water (10 liters of bottled emergency H2O) :shock: Yet through all this, HOD was our life and stress saver. We lit the candles and I said let us do school. The children relaxed and cuddled as we read and jumped and sang their way through the blizzard. Hurray! Each day was stressful as I was being a pioneer woman, but the children cheerful and made connections ever day.
Unit 7, day 5 to unit 8 day2 LHFHG
Abbey (5) wrote out Psalms121:2 My help comes form the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth. Her hand writing was upper/lower case combo, the letters were formed well as a product of the fine motor skills taught from HOD. We sent it to an elder women in our church and Abbey commented that we need help right now, don't we. I said, "yes, but..." and we all quoted the verse. God has great timing. :D
Isaiah (6) had a great time hitting the Goliath target on day 1. Every time he hit he shouted "our God is stronger then any one else. The battle IS the Lord's" he once looked out the snow and shouted the same thing. He loved helping his sister act out the Peter Rabbit story and loves reading Laura's Animal Adventures. They giggled when Pa hit the tree stump. :lol: Isaiah thought about Ma holding the baby when Pa didn't come home, and asked if I worried if daddy would come home in the snow. I answered with Psalms 56:3 when I am afraid, I will trust in You. :shock: Talk about those verses being important this week.
The power is on and we now have water and the snow is all gone. The children did well and really applied their Schooling to life. Thanks
Wait until you get to Beyond next year...the kids will really be able to identify with those Pioneer children in Plymouth! Glad you all survived the week and praise God for wood stoves!! :)
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.