Week in Review 10/18-10/22

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

John'smom

Re: Week in Review 10/18-10/22

Post by John'smom » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:14 am

lovetobehome wrote:WOW, I just discovered this section of the board! I was wishing the board was more active, I like to check what is going on. And I found this section! Just wonderful!
We finished our week today, a short week. My kids have their standardized testing tomorrow, and Friday is our co-op day. We completed week 5 of CtoC. My 8yo DD cries almost every day because she wants to do all the fun things that my son is doing in CtoC. She does the painting with him, and I bought her the notebooking pages, so I will try to start her on it this coming week. I have not yet put her in a HOD program because I have been so busy with other things and am not sure what is the best fit for her, or if I should put her in CtoC. Also, I really wanted to concentrate on her math, spelling, writing and English for a bit and was afraid I would get distracted and let those slide.
My son thinks HOD is wonderful. He really, really enjoys it and is learning so many new things. He asked yesterday if he could switch to all the things HOD recommends, because he is liking it so much. I told him we would not be switching our math, but we could try WWB instead of IEW. He is feeling so proud of himself and what he is accomplishing. He schedules his subjects as he pleases, which keeps some variety for him. It is a wonderful feeling to know he is gaining independence and ownership of his schooling! And I thought it would be so sad to let go and have him work on his own. I wanted to keep directing him, but it is a blessing in many ways!
Anyway, I am so glad to have found this section. I will look forward to posting more and to reading more!
I am so happy for you!!! I just wanted to chime in like Rebecca and say I would either do Beyond or Bigger with your dd who is 8. Check out the placement chart. I am currently doing Beyond with my two dc. If I don't count Math, Spelling, and English, the things you said you wanted to focus on, the rest of the stuff we do with Beyond is about one hour to one hour and fifteen minutes extra. This includes copywork (our handwriting), music, bible study, storytime, poetry and rhymes, reading about history, the emerging readers, and then the box that alternates between science, art, geography and history activities. Very efficient and you could focus on the subjects you mentioned you were wanting to do with your dd while she was getting to do fun activities on her own level. Not sure how much time bigger would add as I've not done that yet. Just a thought to let you know that it's not overwhelming and gives you plenty of time to focus on the 3 R's.
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM