3-20-08 Weekly Check-In

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:19 am

This week in "Little Hearts..." my third little guy loved being Queen Esther and playing a version of "King, May I?" to get to the throne of the King (each time I raised my sceptor to signal he could proceed). 8)

He also loved listening to Peter Rabbit and laughing as Peter planned to hibernate! We really enjoy Thornton Burgess at our house.

In Singapore Math we enjoyed "stepping off" with our feet the lengths of various pieces of furniture. It was fun comparing my foot-size compared to my son's foot size to see why there were differences in our measurements. :o

This week in "Bigger Hearts...", my son loved making a watertight pouch like the peddler used in "Pioneer Sampler". He is really into oragami these days, so this was a hit! :wink:

He also loved searching through the house to find items made of rubber and realized how blessed we are to have rubber soles that make our shoes waterproof. Thanks goodness for Charles Goodyear!

We're really enjoying Singapore Math. We started 3A this week and are transitioning to no more math activities. But, it went very well and the transition was smoother than I thought it would be. The examples in 3A Textbook do a good job of helping him visualize his math! :D

Last, we were also on the digging for gold activity, and as my3sons posted pictures of that, you can imagine how much fun the kids had doing it here too! My oldest son (12) also got involved and even made pick-ax's and miner hats! :lol:

Hope your week was good too!

Blessings,
Carrie

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:47 am

Wow, I'm looking forward to all these other activities as the years go by.

This week we took off the first couple of days. DD had a cold and it was a MOPS week so I had a bunch to do there to get ready for our meeting.

Anyway, yesterday we studied the 10 Commandments in LHTH. We took the activity one step further and actually made a set of tablets from construction paper. I briefly wrote the commandments and had DD trace them as her handwriting practice for the day. And Daddy liked the song from the CD. That CD has so many varieties of music it's great for our family. It's like a little something for everyone. I know I find myself singing songs from it throughout the day. And reviewing all these great Bible stories are fabulous. It brings back details of some of the stories that I've forgotten over the years.

Today, DD was able to do a video conference over the computer with grandma in Michigan (we're in PA). She read 2 of her phonics books to her. It's so great to see her excited to read.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

kfrench

our week with lhth

Post by kfrench » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:13 pm

Hi, I am slowly starting Lhth. We haven't been consistent but my 3 1/2 yo ds love this curriculum. At first he wasn't interested in the little finger plays but this week he loved the Noah's ark unit. We had some plastic little animals and he has a fisher price pirate boat that we played with all week. He loves all the little letter activities and especially likes the big letter taped to the carpet. He turned the circles of the b's into his oceans for his noah's ark. We will have to be more consistant and get to week 3. It has taken us 2 months to get through 2 weeks. He has remembered his letter and their sounds and surprisingly he points out a's and b's in the books we read and signs and everywhere without prompting. he is still confused by numbers but we will keep working on that slowly. For some reason I did not think school started until kindergarten with my girls- perhaps the lack of internet- but I am really enjoying spending this time with him doing fun stuff not just letters and numbers. He really loves preschool and has been begging for it everyday even the weekends. This curriculum is just right for him.

netpea

Post by netpea » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:56 am

I have sick kids with high fevers so not much work for us.