Week in Review Sept 19-24

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

countrymom

Week in Review Sept 19-24

Post by countrymom » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:10 am

Ok Girls,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

countrymom

Re: Week in Review Sept 19-24

Post by countrymom » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:25 am

We are on a Sun-Thurs schedule so are done with our week:
LHTH: I got to teach Little J one day this week (dh usually teaches him). Here he is doing his action rhyme, the "B" rhyme, so fun!

FUNNY OF THE WEEK: We are on round 2 of LHTH so have revised a bit. We are including a short nature segment and I was reading a book about Giraffes to Little J. It was explaining that the female giraffe is called a cow and a baby giraffe is called a calf. Little J threw down his hands and with all the fanfare of a child telling the world how it is and declared, "Moommyy, let's have cows be cows and giraffes be giraffes!" Kind of like his logic. :lol:

BEYOND:
Another fun week in Beyond. Here is the dike Big J made. It held the water back fine, but when he made the hole he could not plug it fast enough to prevent his "house" from being flooded.
Here are his poem and illustration for the week. It was a long poem, but he included a lot in his picture, ocean mist, trumpet on the left, ship, and bird, corn field, and belfry on the right.
ImageImage

We added another picture to the timeline this week. Big J couldn't "cheat" this time because our scanner is broken (I had been shrinking his pictures down to fit the squares for him), so he had to draw to size. He did good though.
Gotta love math with M&M's! :D

No, HOD does not require students to get on the computer for Beyond, but it does require the student to dictate spelling word sentences to mommy for the student to copy. Mommy has concluded her handwriting is not up to standards :oops: so we are using the computer. Of course Big J wants in on the act so he types his spelling words, plus a few extra words here and there.
We had another great week!Thanks HOD!
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography

Tabrett

Post by Tabrett » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:34 am

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:26 pm

We had another wonderful week with HOD! The only thing I am hating right now is that we are behind on our days in the guide and I can't post finished projects today! LOL

Here is a bit of ds11 did in CTC:

Finished up his Unit 5 Student Notebook pages (and got started on Unit 6, not pictured).

Made animal tracks in air dry clay for Science...we even got the cat and dog to participate in the "prints" by using their real prints!

And got a beautiful start his Unit 6 Poetry Painting. The black stuff is tape (we couldn't find masking tape, so we used black electrical tape! LOL) to make fireflies. This is just the background, but I love the colors and I think ds did a nice job with the paint. :)

And...A little of what we did in Beyond:

Ds6 has been working very hard on his copywork and it is paying off! :) He is not finished copying this poem, but will finish writing 4 more lines by the end of Unit 6 next week. His birthday is coming up next week too and he is very excited to be turning 7.

And these are my favorite pictures of the year so far. Here is ds cleaning like a boy from Holland! LOL He really had fun doing this, believe it or not. And hey, I now have some mighty clean windows!

~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:00 pm

Countrymom, it looks like we are on the same week in Beyond. How fun!!!

Rebecca, I love seeing your older ds' work. Shows me what we have to look forward to. :D Oh, and can't wait to get to the "cleaning day" in Beyond. :D

You can see our week with HOD here. This week I only posted about what we've done with HOD. I think I like this format better. :D I included my dd's (6) narration of a chapter of Benjamin West. Too cute!
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

Mom4Him

Post by Mom4Him » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:24 pm

Countrymom- How fun!! My girls were peaking over my shoulder & are now excited to do Beyond next year! :D We love LHTH too!!
Rebecca- Those pictures are wonderful. I can hardly wait to do all those fun things with my girls (although I am very much enjoying where we are at now!!)
I look forward to popping over to the other blogs! :D
Here's a like to our last 2 weeks with LHFHG. We've had a great time!!
http://ourfamilyforhisglory.blogspot.co ... glory.html
Jessica

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:34 pm

Johnsmom, that is neat that we are on the same week in Beyond, but we are going 1/2 pace so you will get ahead. We are very sad to end Benjamin West also. We loved the book but know the next one will be good too. You dd's narration was very good. We have some work to do on that.
Countrymom
Wife to J

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:35 pm

Edwena,

Which of your children wrote the poetry coypwork you posted and how old is he/she? I ask because the writing is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! And both of your kids look so young! Great job!
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:28 pm

Tree House Academy wrote:Edwena,

Which of your children wrote the poetry coypwork you posted and how old is he/she? I ask because the writing is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! And both of your kids look so young! Great job!
Rebecca,
The copywork was done by my son, John. He turned 8 in June. I'll have to let him know what you said. It was very kind of you and I'm sure it will be a blessing to him. :D
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:52 pm

Please do let him know! It is truly gorgous and for such a young fella. I posted what my turning 7 next week'er is doing handwriting wise and it doesn't even compare to your son's. His looks like an adult could have written it. Amazing!
~Rebecca~

Bramble

Post by Bramble » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:55 pm

I get to the end of the week and I have trouble remembering what took place. LOL!

LHTH w/ my just-turned-3 yr. old daughter:
*I love hearing her re-tell me the Bible stories throughout the day.
*She enjoyed acting out the princess finding Baby Moses, and gluing a "basket" hiding in the "grass."
*I wrote a "block" F on a paper and she filled it w/ purple play-doh. She loved that!
*She still loves the fingerplays.

LHFHG w/ my 5 and 7 yr. old sons:
*Well, first I have to say my 3 yo keeps trying to join in LHFHG!! LOL She enjoys the rhymes and listens in on some of the readings.
*My boys continue to love Reddy Fox.
*They are disappointed when there is not a reading scheduled for History for Little Pilgrims.
*They thought it was interesting to sniff different scents on cotton balls, and guessed them all correctly.
*They enjoyed the nail punching of their name.
*I love Devotions for their Children's Hour. The author says it in ways that haven't occurred to me.
*I love watching them learn their memory verse together.
*LHFHG is "just enough" school for these boys.

Bigger w/ my 9 yr. old son:
We finished Unit 2 and began Unit 3. My son does not complain about school like he did in years past. He desperately wanted to do Bigger Hearts after viewing and hearing about both Beyond and Bigger. I have struggled with him in the past, and told him that he would have to step it up if he was going to use Bigger. He agreed to and is doing very well. He still dawdles some sometimes. The timer does help to keep him on task with items that are cut and dry. If he has to choose what to draw, for example, then it sometimes drags on and on. So some days we do not complete an entire day of the unit and I have been asking him to finish a couple things on the weekend. It was my goal to complete at least 4 days per week, and now that we are having a baby next May/June I am trying to get 5 days in as much as we can.
*We struggled w/ the waxed paper art project. I guess we should have made a wider line of wax or used less paint? because when it was finished, we could not see his fish. It was disappointing to my son as this was the second art project we struggled with (the first being the mixing of the paint to get 3 shades of purple.) I told him he could try it again in his free time if he wanted to.
*He enjoyed the compass rose activity.
*He was not thrilled about the line drawing of the tree. I emphasized that I was not looking for perfection and he could do it over, but he doesn't want to re-do anything. LOL He asked why he had to draw a tree, and I read him the keypoint of the activity. Then he asked why he had to sketch and use only one line instead of carefully drawing the tree. :lol:

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:11 pm

We have once again been enjoying our school time after our baby break. :D I find that I have hard time getting to the computer though - not that I mind having a whole lot of time spent cuddling my sweet little baby! I want to share our week though. It's a whole lot of fun using HOD, and I like being able to look back and see what the kids and I were learning along the way. :wink:

CTC: Unit 5 & 6

Grant jumped back into Ancient Egypt. He is doing so well working independently when he's supposed to and making good use of his time! :D This is not something that came naturally for him, and we spent a LOT of time the past 2 years working on him not dawdling. So those of you that are dealing with a dawdling 8 yo, it is worth your effort to keep working on this charcter quality in your child. S-L-O-W-L-Y but surely, you will be able to see progress in this area if you keep working on teaching & training it! :D

I found that I did not take many pictures of Grant. Oops! :oops: I'll have to make sure that when I have two hands I pop in and snap a picture of him during the day. :wink: Here is one of him working on his Egyptian Palace bread. He was super-excited to make it...but no one in our house really loved eating it. We'll stick with Chocolate Chip Cookies & Brownies here. :lol:
Here's a shot of him working on his column this week. It turned out beautiful with pictures of God's judgement of Egypt in the 10 plagues.

Since I don't have many pictures of Grant, I'll share a little of his writing this week. Here is his narration from his history reading this week.
The Amalekites gave the Israelites a surprise attack. When Moses prayed, he found out if his hands were lifted the Israelites would prevail, and if his hands were down the Amalekites would prevail. He had Aaron and Hur help support his arms. The Israelites rejoiced in their victory. No one else dared attack the Israelites for a long time.

He finished his 1st lesson in Write With the Best and has a descriptive paragraph of an object. I was amazed at how well he did with the assignment all on his own! :D

Me and My Trusty Friend

I woke early on the cool, crisp morning and took down the faithful break action 20-gauge shot gun, worn and scratched with years of use. As I climbed into the truck I admired its shiny metal and its break action barrel. When I took my seat in front of a big tree I heard a turkey gobble. I slowly slipped in a shell and heard the snap as I pulled the barrel up. There was a click as I pulled back the hammer. As I took aim I lined up my eye, the sight, the bead, and the turkey’s head. I slowly pulled the trigger. There was a ka-boom! I was glad my faithful friend and I woke up early that morning.

:D Kathleen
Last edited by Kathleen on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:34 pm

LHFHG: Units 17 & 18

Allison & I jumped back into Jesus' last days on earth, and the spread of the gospel in the early church. It is so encouraging to hear her excitedly whisper, "Mom, I know about that! We just read it in school!" while we're in church. It seems to be happening for her a lot lately. :D (I love that she's reading so much of the Bible through our history time and also the Emerging Readers.) The family Bible study that we're going to has the "adult" part of the study on the Holy Spirit...and we talked a lot about Him in our school time, too. :wink:
Here are a few of our activites that go along with history. Jesus' hands with nail prints (done in chocolate :D ) - reminding us that Thomas had to see them to believe.
ImageImage
THIS activity was our FAVORITE!! 8) Raisins rising and falling to remind us of Jesus ascending to heaven. This one took a while to get going...but then brought lots of excited squeals from Allison & Garret. We all came running to see the floating raisins many times.
Here is the tongue of fire on Alli's head - reminding us of Pentecost.
And, Allison's "beast of the field" (an elephant), that we used in our reenactment of Peter's vision before sharing the gospel with the Gentiles.

Because we didn't go half-speed with math last year, we're nearing the end of EarlyBird 2B. Here are our months and seasons. Allison LOVED drawing pictures to go with them! :D
ImageImage

When Allison isn't doing her school work, she LOVES to help with Asa. It is so fun to see her be a little mama to him. They both seem quite happy with the arrangement. :wink: She's got the natural, God-given "baby bounce" and talk. :lol:

Homeschooling mom to 6:
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:50 pm

LHTH: Unit 8 & 9

Garret jumped back into school in the Exodus. This reenactment of crossing the Red Sea has been a favorite of my kids' all 3 times we've done it. :wink: There's also a picture of him painting the Red Sea.
ImageImage
Picking up manna in the wilderness...
Putting stickers in a number 10 book (after reading about the 10 commandments). I was so proud of his work on this, as I left him to do it on his own when Asa decided it was time to eat. He traced the numbers and then added the right number of stickers to each page. Way to go, Garret! :D

During our school time, we're usually joined by this little happy guy. Garret, "The Hugger" in our family, loves to make him feel welcome & loved. :wink:
ImageImage

This week, our school time also had THIS exitement going on out the window. :D (Garret loves tractors, trucks, machines!) The neighbors were combining the corn field across the road. You can guess where Garret was for the entire morning minus the 30 min we spent on LHTH. :lol: That day was our day to glue on the letter "H"...so we glued corn (that he has from the bin to play with, with his combine) on the H for "harvest"!! Here are our other "G" activities, too.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

Homeschooling mom to 6:
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:20 pm

Kathleen-Im loving the baby pics :D
Bramble- When we used LHFHG-the two year old loved to join in so much -we couldnt keep him out .
Countrymom-we are doing BLHFHG and LHTH too-its great to see the pics of another family doing what we are doing.Your sons copywork is far better than anything we have produced thus far
Treehouseacadamy- CTC looks like so much fun-what obliging pets you have :D
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD