Week in Review Sept 12 - Sept 17

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

gotpeace91

Re: Week in Review Sept 12 - Sept 17

Post by gotpeace91 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:54 pm

I'm sorry that I keep posting so late. I will try to be more diligent next time.
CTC Unit 5 ~ Unit 6 Day 1
DS put in a full week last week. He made pawprints for science and we all enjoyed that because he got the idea to use our cat Abbey and dog Lucy's footprints. :D He wrote a descriptive paragraph about the cat for WWTB and he did very well with this I thought. WWTB is so awesome! It really eases the kids into creating interesting writing all on their own. He also wrote a paragraph about milk for R&S 5. I'm not really sure how much correcting I should do in the area of writing and as I'm sure you've noticed, my writing skills are lacking a little. If Julie or Carrie has any input on how they're doing with written narrations and creative writing I'd appreciate it. :D

Bigger Hearts for His Glory Unit 2 Day 5 ~ Unit 3 Day 4
DD did an extra careful job on her Science notebooking page this week. She has been struggling with oral narrations this week. Arggh. She keeps reading her paragraphs over again and then saying she can't remember what she read. I know that several of the words are hard for her in History and Science but she was doing pretty well in the first unit so I will try to keep her going this week and see if we can get past it. Her cursive is looking pretty good to me. I love to hear her singing every day with her hymn. :) I'm wondering if her written narrations are looking OK Julie?

Last edited by gotpeace91 on Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

Marcee

Post by Marcee » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:09 pm

The kids really enjoyed the science expoloration in Bigger this week. They made a beach with cornmeal and raw sugar, added walnuts, fruit snaks and a few other things. Then added water. I think they may have shaken in some pepper too :lol: Boy did they have fun! We also really enjoyed making a beach and putting small, meduim and large "bird food" on and under the sand. What a cool way to learn about different size bird beaks and how they function.

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:25 pm

I love reading everyone's reviews each week. All the guides look like so much fun and I can't wait to get to do them with my son!

Here's my post about our week with LHFHG http://cherish-each-moment.blogspot.com ... eek-9.html
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:13 pm

gotpeace91,
I think your little honey's written narrations are looking good! When editing them, we just use the Written Narration Skills List in the Appendix of the guide in exactly the way its explained. So, we begin with the first skill on the list and expect to see that within the written narration. If the first skill isn't done correctly, then we help the kiddos fix that until it is. Once the first skill is mastered, we move on to expecting skills 1 AND 2 to be correct. If they are not, we help the kiddos fix their work until both skills are done correctly. As the year moves on, we progress in order down the list of skills, adding a skill each time the previous skill is pretty much mastered. We do this throughout Preparing Hearts, CTC, and into RTR with written narration. The editing goal is for kiddos to eventually master the skills on the list to have a correctly written narration. :wink: For WWTB, we utilize the checklists in the back of that guide in helping kiddos complete the writing assignments to fit that expectation. :D You can feel good about your child's writing. :D Thanks so much for sharing! I enjoyed seeing both of your kiddos work and hearing about your week! :D It's never too late to share. :wink:

Marcee,
I'm so glad that your little sweetie enjoyed the science in Bigger Hearts. We loved the experiment that you described too. It was a favorite here! :D Thanks for sharing a peek into your week! :D

Samuel'smommy,
I enjoyed seeing your little guy's fiery painting and his math with snacks math lesson. :D Hooray that he is done with phonics! Definitely time to celebrate! I'm so glad you shared with us. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:12 am

LHTH- we are getting very lax with keeping the blog / WIR -up to date-weeks just fly by :D
http://stanleysmagicgarden.blogspot.com ... 13-14.html
Highlight of our recent fun -was definately marshmallow construction of a temple.We found some sugar free marshmallows-which were not as big as I would like-but still lots of fun.

and a picture of Absolom'shair caught in the tree
Last edited by spidermansmum on Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:14 am

WEEK 7 BLHFHG blog post
http://stanleysmagicgarden.blogspot.com ... -lhth.html
Highlight- was him flicking a can up a step
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR