Week-In-Review 7-19 to 7-23-2010

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

moedertje

Week-In-Review 7-19 to 7-23-2010

Post by moedertje » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:36 pm

Ok Girls,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

moedertje

Re: Week-In-Review 7-19 to 7-23-2010

Post by moedertje » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:24 pm

This week was a great blessing, thanks to the way HOD is set up. I have not been able to do school with the kids, because of a recent surgery. I am in the 4th week of recovery. My best friend has been keeping up with school. It is a blessing that we are able to stay in the same guides so far.

For Bigger 1/2 pace: We did unit 14, first 3 days.

At co-op he drew the most beautiful bird and I was extremely proud of him! :D He has made so much improvement in drawing since he is very much gross motor oriented!

We mostly enjoyed guessing how far an eagle sees and than going outside to measure. We talked about distance a bit since his guess was that an owl could probably see 100 miles. So, after explaining how far that was, he could see that the guess should be a little more thought about. So tonight after church he was explaining to Daddy how far an eagle can see! ds was able to do the measuring with just verbal instruction as I could not bend down to help him in my current condition. I can already see that he will be very disappointed when we are done reading through John Audubon, :cry: he has very much enjoyed the science and the life of John Audubon. :D
ImageImageImageImage

Bible Study and learning about leadership was very enlightening as he is the oldest one and he decided to show more leadership when he is playing with his siblings in sharing and teaching them to share with a happy heart. We discussed the greatest attitude of a leader was to be a servant!
His narration is improving, he asks before the reading if it is a narration session and I have told him that it is good to always listen as if he has to narrate and be ready! So he did great and remembered many details about Thomas Jefferson.

Elijah has been so excited to listen to the hyms and even reading the story himself. Image

I was most excited that Elijah did so well finding his vocabulary word and my Mother-in-law was here helping out and was most impressed with the sentence he came up with! Image

For LHTH: We did unit 24

We learned about Jesus raising Lazarus from the death! We discussed the fact that when one is sick or dies that it does not mean that God does not care or does not love that person or even that it is punishment. Luke made a great connection today when he saw a resurrection picture of the stone being rolled away at Jesus's grave, that we learned about Lazarus! :D He had fun making the cave and the stone out of play dough and I had a craft stick that I drew a face on and wrapped it in white tissue.

Oh the letter T was fun to make all on his own and write all on his own and jump off. He has actually gotten all of the letter sounds under his belt, but he likes to teach little sis. The kids get very excited and even my older one comes over when we get the choc. syrup out to write letters on the plate. :P I guess little sis was gone with grandma so she enjoyed her writing later. ImageImageImageImage

Luke has been enjoying reading his Bob Books. With my surgery I have decided to put moving on with phonics and going to the long vowels till after total recovery! So we have been reading Bob books and he finished box 1.

For Finger play I had big brother do it with them, since jumping, spinning and activities alike are not allowed for me yet! :cry: It was rather sad, because I absolutely love getting into the finger plays with the kids (sometimes I might be the one enjoying them the most, but it gets catchy for them!). :D

It was also very nice to have my Mother in law around in the mornings she enjoys watching the kiddo's learn and she was summoned to do the Devotions with them the last 2 weeks, since we have both the ABC dev. and the "Small Talks about God".

At co-op Luke did his craft and his letter T decoration. For letter T they did toothpicks and tool stickers. He came home and told me all about what he did at co-op as he has gotten accustomed to the last couple of weeks, since I do not attend co-op at the moment.

Once again even while mostly in bed I was able to have the kids do school 3 times this week, because of how HOD is set up. :D
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:36 am

Moedertje, isn't it a blessing! Wishing you a speedy recovery but so glad you are able to continue your children's schooling. Looks like they are having lots of fun.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:23 am

Your kids are so cute Moedertje! Looks like they really enjoy school. :D I hope that your recovery goes quickly.
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:45 pm

Thank you so much! They did have fun and I am so thankful that school can be fun :D We are looking forward to this week! :P
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:41 pm

Im at a wonderful spot right now.We are on week 4 of BLHFHG-and Nathan is reading all about king David in his beginners Bible for his reading lessons .Stanley is on week 14 of LHTH-and learning about K K King David.Perfect .We are not planning long breaks-as I think we need to keep school work as fairly constant and consistant.But we are only doing 4 days ,occasionaly 3 day weeks-so our weeks do not neatly fall into weeks-whichIm struggling with -but overall this seems the better option.We will be going camping in August and then taking a week to visit Grandma-sothat will be our summer break.
Here is the link to my blog post for the week
http://stanleysmagicgarden.blogspot.com ... hg-34.html

Here are some pictures ofour science experiments
Image.
Can I just say how wonderfully my son is doing at Math-he is so much more confident now.
Last edited by spidermansmum on Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:53 pm

We have been doing week 14 in LHTH.[again her comes my explanation-Im stretching LHTH over two years and so sometimes we just sit somewhere if we are really enjoying ourselves]Psalm 23 has a really special place in my heart especially with Stanley.Stanley -he decided that breech was the way to be born .Given that-we 'chose' to do C section.It didnt go well.Ive never had an epidural before-it turns out that Im one of the few that reacts to it badly.Stanley was not as 'cooked' as expected,and had no surfecant in his lungs.I got a quick cuddle before he turned blue and was taken to NICU to be helped with his breathing.It was such a tough few days.Day 4 was the toughest.

I sang Psalm 23 over Stanley in NICU-when I got to the point where I just gave up. I gave up screaming at God.Gave up begging Stanley to show the tiniest sign of improvement.Gave up trying to convince the NICU staff that my baby was improving-even if they couldnt see it.Just said Okay God-lets do it your way-whichever path you take me on.I just havent got anything more in me to fight with.Im done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-qLa_2GPcM

The following morning I got to see my baby's face properly for the first time.He had been taken off the breathing machine-CPAP .He had hair,beautiful black hair.The CPAP is like a minature dryer hose -attached with straps over the face and a hat.
So I cant sing Psalm 23 without being back at that point -and I still cry[Im such a sap].Its been a really special week :D
currently Using

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:10 pm

Wow, wonderful story Sam! God is so good! Glad you are having a wonderful time with HOD! :D :D
~Leah

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:01 pm

We started back to school this week. Samuel is super excited to be in Kindergarten! We are still continuing on with LHFHG at half-speed.
Here's my blog post about this week - http://cherish-each-moment.blogspot.com ... eek-1.html
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:08 pm

I saw your blog and it looks like your little guy is having so much fun! I love his creativity with his coloring. :D
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:53 am

Sammuel is getting so big.Looks like he is so enjoying school
currently Using

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:36 pm

CTC Unit 2~Day 1

Sorry this is so late but I figured better late than never. :) We only did 1 Day because we had vacation for part of this week. However, we did make our Nature Journals. I think the kids are really going to love these when they're finished. :)

~Leah