Week-In Review 4-5-10 to 4-9-10

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

Mom4Him

Week-In Review 4-5-10 to 4-9-10

Post by Mom4Him » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:20 pm

Ok Girls,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!

Mom4Him

Re: Week-In Review 4-5-10 to 4-9-10

Post by Mom4Him » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:39 pm

Hi Ladies! It has been another great week of using Little Hands to Heaven at our house! :D Amidst sick kiddos (& a sick Mommy :( ) we were able to enjoy every day of doing HOD!!
This week we finished Unit 26... we talked about more of Jesus' parables.
The letter this week was "u"- the girls had fun saying the sound of "u" as they walked their animals/babies on the large letter- later in the week they had fun writing U's on our giant window- it was covered- & got nice & clean! :D :D I really appreciate how my children are learning & remembering their letter sounds through using LHTH (even the ones that already seemed to know them)!
Image Image
The Art Project is one of my daughter's favorite activity each week. She could sit all morning working on it. :D
Image Image Image
The Color Page is another favorite at our house! My oldest gets soooo excited to look through magazines/catalogs/etc. to find pictures to cut out. I've enjoyed seeing their fine-motor skills developing more & more. My 3-year-old's hand got tired very fast at the beginning of the year- but now she is able to cut out pictures without any problems.:D
Image Image Image
To end the week- we had a banquet... after inviting our "rich friends" that didn't show up, we invited our "poor friends" (stuffed animals) to come to our banquet. This activity ended up turning into a large restaurant with two tents, all of our play dishes/food, pillows, blankets, & lots & lots of animals & babies. :D What fun they had! I also really appreciated talking with them about whether they would say "yes" or "no" to Jesus' invitation to us!
Image Image
I love the easy-to-use & fun activities that are integrated throughout LHTH!! I like how each week is similar but different from the previous week. We all know what to expect- & enjoy the consistency, but are anything but bored!!! :D
I look forwared to hearing of everyone else's weeks!!
Jessica

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:29 pm

We had a great week with Little Hearts. We reviewed Bible verses from the past 5 weeks and I was amazed at how many of the songs my son still knew. I love the CD as much as he does. It makes learning the Bible verses so easy and fun! :)

We finished reading about Chatterer the Red Squirrel this week. I have to admit, that is my favorite Burgess book yet. I loved the "learning to trust" and the compassion that was shown to the animals in the book. My ds loved that chatterer got to run in a hampster wheel. :mrgreen:

As I am starting to get my books together to prepare to start Beyond in the fall, I am noticing all of the pilgrim discussions we are having in Little Hearts...just getting ds ready to start Beyond. I absolutely love the way that one manual prepares the dc for the next.

We had been using CLE Science becuase my ds was asking for a "workbook." Starting next week, we are going to move back in to My Father's World and finish our Science with Little Hearts. Hopefully, we will still be able to move into the Science in Beyond with no issues.
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:50 am

Bigger Hearts w/ds 9-Tor finished Unit 27. What a great week. Tor picked SC to outline with yarn, since he was born there. His 3d animals were great. He really got John Muir, on vocab day he knew botanizing from reading about him. We also traveled the Chisholm Trail with the cattle. We wrapped the week up by entering a war with Spain. What a busy week. A great week to introduce bravery. We had some great discussions about being a Christian and encountering troubles. Being a chirstian doesn't mean there won't be troubles but at least we have God to turn to. We talked about God using the troubles to bring us closer to him. WOW!!! Awesome to know at 9 years old.
In Science he learned how rollers, levers, runners and ramps work. He got our BIG dictionary and rolled it across the table with pencils. He said "this would just be easier to pick up and move" I explained it is how pioneers moved big things that they could just pick up. He is doing great being by himself in Bigger and becoming very independent.

Bigger Hearts w/ds 7-
Kale finished Unit 23. He is really thriving since I split the boys up and going half pace. We really had great discussions on discipline. It is not always easy to make the right choice. This weekend we had company and I saw growth with him in being a leader instead of a follower. He used his discipline. :D This week I am just really amazed by his growth. I wish I would have spilt the boys up sooner but better late than never! Before we almost daily had issues doing school but now it runs much smoother. He is becoming independent. I know he will be ready for Preparing in October b/c of the time we are taking now.
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:22 am

Bigger 1/2 pace, Unit 7

This week we started unit 7.

For our history activity we learned the difference in Goods and Services while learning about Thomas Smith and his discovery of how rice grew well in the wetlands of South Carolina. We cut out from different magazines. We left the house right after and it was a fun game that we continued to play in the van to cement concepts.Image

Elijah did a great job drawing his flower during science as we learned how John Bartram experimented with pollination. (My camera was full and I used Daddy's, but I don't have the cable to download them). :( Will add another time...

English is getting a little harder to remember all the different rules for the nouns. I am so glad that we do it half pace so we get two days to focus on 1 lesson and it helps to break it up in bite sizes!

Elijah choose to write up about "Barry, the Bravest St Bernard" for DITHOR. After consideration between that and "Thomas Alva Edison" he decided this was his favorite biography out of the 3. We are still in the process of making the puppet!

My challenge of the week came when I decided that it was time for Elijah to do the vocabulary a little more independent :shock: :o He was a bit lost :o and I lost it :oops: Well, it was perfect timing for "Little Pillows" in which we had to think about something to like to do things that we dislike or things that are difficult for us. The Lord was gracious to me and gently showed me that I needed to ask for forgiveness with my dislike of explaining the same thing over and over :D So during prayer I asked the Lord to help me like explaining the same things over and over and over and over until my children get it. Whether in discipline or with chores or WITH SCHOOL! Each one of the children asked the Lord to help them with something that they have a difficult time with to like!
Once again HOD was just as much an assistance to me and helped me to see the wrong way of thinking that I have. With Thanksgiving I praise the Lord for this revelation and this prompting through the kids lessons..
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.