Week-In Review 3-22-10 to 3-26-10

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

my3sons

Week-In Review 3-22-10 to 3-26-10

Post by my3sons » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:34 am

Ok Girls,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Re: Week-In Review 3-22-10 to 3-26-10

Post by my3sons » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:01 am

Creation to Christ:
Wyatt's science experiments were such fun for him to do. He is loving John Tiner's "Exploring the History of Medicine", and the study of germs and how they are passed was a timely one, as 2 of our dc have been sick as of late. He is doing very well on his chapter quizzes, and he always has some amazing thing to tell me about what he read. Wyatt really enjoys becoming a scientist and running his "lab". :D

In his apple experiment, he plunged a fork in 2 apples, making holes in them. Then he rubbed a dirty hand on an apple and put it in a labeled ziplock bag. He washed his hands next, put clean hands on the other apple, put it in a labeled ziplock. He put both of the bags near a heating vent. After a week had passed, the apple handled with dirty hands was full of dark brown spots, while the apple handled with clean hands had much less discoloration.
Image Image

In another experiment, he got 10 cups. This was quite a detailed experiment, complete with controls and multiple detailed directions - very mature for him to do, and he rose to the challenge and did so well. :D Rather than typing it all out here, I'll just say that one of the cup was contaminated with germs (the cup that had baking soda), it was mixed with some of the other cups, according to certain directions for the control groups, with notes taken upon the pairings of mixtures. By adding white vinegar to the cups, he was able to figure out how germs had spread and which cup had the initial germs. I am thankful he has such a good grasp of the scientific process due the HOD lab sheets and experiments. He continued experimenting by making other mixtures and testing his hypothesis well after the experiment was done. Little brother insisted on watching and joining in the fun.
Image Image Image Image Image

We finished reading "Traveling the Way" for Storytime. What an excellent book that turned out to be! I was moved to tears many times, and the ending was perfect. It was a book I would have not found without HOD finding it for me. It touched my somewhat unemotional ds's heart deeply.

Wyatt continues to love his history readings, as well as his DITHOR book, and is often deeply engrossed in his books laying in front of the fireplace.

He also enjoyed his history project so much:

It was another wonderful week of homeschooling with HOD!
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:13 am

Bigger Hearts for His Glory:
Riley has been recovering from pneumonia, and doing HOD has been a definite bright spot in his day, as he has been unable to go outside. Riley has such a love of science, and he also loves to draw and color. These all work together to make science notebooking a wonderful thing for him to do. This is a new joy for me to see, as my oldest ds is such a logical get-it-done kind of person. When I did BHFHG with him years ago, he loved the science, but he never poured over his notebooking entries like Riley does. I had to laugh when I saw Riley had gotten a magnifying glass to really hone in on how best to draw his sea creatures for his notebooking.

Of course little brother had to get in on it :D :

Every time Riley gets to do a science experiment he is beyond excited. Here he is with his lab from this week (Look mom, no hands! :lol: ):

Riley is doing 2 vocabulary cards quite well now, and his guesses about the meaning of words are getting better as his understanding of using contextual clues is growing:

Pocohantas has been so interesting to read about, and Riley especially took to John Smith and his sense of adventure. Another new "hero" is George Rogers Clark, whom we've been reading about in Storytime. That book makes ME want to be an outdoorsman and surveyor, which is a stretch. :D Riley begs me to read more and more each day, but I am sticking to my CM guns :lol: and reading a smaller portion so we can savor it more. It works!!! All of my dc are not only loving their Storytime books, they are remembering them, and savoring each one. :D :D :D

We've had a super week with half-speed BHFHG!
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:30 am

Little Hands to Heaven:
Emmett continues to LOVE school! This week everyone joined in to act out Rahab helping the spies sneaking into the city and hiding in Rahab's house:
Image Image

They also got in on the fun of becoming the 2 spies escaping out her window, down a rope:
Image Image Image

Emmett loves every bit of his school. He knew all of his letter sounds and actions, and especially enjoyed doing all of them this review week for his fingerplay. The art is always a hit too, especially if it's edible (in which case ALL of the family offers to lend a helping hand :wink: ):. Here is Emmett's edible graham cracker and peanut butter wall of Rahab's house and red cord:
Image Image

Here is Emmett's beloved "H" painting:

A very happy homeschooling week with little Emmett (not such a happy potty-training week, but some progress :wink: ).

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

annemcev

Post by annemcev » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:41 pm

Preparing:

Our first week! Two years of American History behind us (Beyond and Bigger), and now forward to the world. :D I have two littles, ds 8.5 and dd 7. Seven is a little younger than the normal age for Preparing, I guess, but she's been reading for 3 years and has finished Beyond and Bigger.

I am loving the four day week in Preparing, as we recently picked up a one day a week co-op. Dictation is going very well. This is our first time implementing that aspect of HOD; before we've dones spelling, but dictation is making everyone happy campers.

Everything we've done this week went smoothly. Grandpa's Box is amazing, and I am so happy they are doing independent work now, even if I have to be near them as they get used to it. A learning process, certainly, but one for which they are ready.

Love the pictures, ladies! Maybe next week I'll get the camera going.

Anne

GinainMD

Post by GinainMD » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:03 pm

Hello everyone. Let me say I absolutely love seeing and hearing about everyones week. It is inspiring for me and makes me anxious to do the other guides. Anyway, I'm kindof computer illiterate so I'll just type about our weeks hopefully soon I'll figure out how to attach pics. Or maybe enlist help from dh or possibly dd #2 :mrgreen: She's much better on the computer than me. We just completed our 4th week of lhth with our 3 year old Natalie going at half speed. She has always been sharp but she has just blossomed with lhth. I certainly love spending one on one time with Natalie but everyone else has seen what fun she is having and has been joining in :D . My dd #2,Julia, told me she is going to do "preschool" in addition to her own work. So, we learned about Noah and the ark, and the sound of b, love the rhymes. We made tissue paper rainbows that turned out beautifully. We couldn't find any hands in a mag. so I traced Natalie's hands to add to her counting book. She just LOVES looking over all of her work. Have another blessed week with Heart of Dakota ladies!
Gina
married to dh 2000
dd 12/01 Bigger
dd 08/03 Bigger
dd 03/07 LHTH
dd 06/08 LHTH

seekhimfirst

Post by seekhimfirst » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:54 pm

We had a super first week with HOD!!! It has definitely been a breath of fresh air for the kids and especially me. We began homeschooling in Jan and I was worn out with what we were using but with the change this week it was easy, fun, and educational!

Preparing...Like Anne, we LOVE Grandpa's Box in Preparing! Very engaging for my 'all boy' boy. He got to do an experiment today for the first time since we began homeschooling and thought that was great. I love having him doing the lab sheet with it! What a great way to get him thinking! He is enjoying Draw and Write. He's always liked to draw but hasn't had any direction in it so I'm excited to see what transpires there. Dictation is all new for him and he's not so sure about it yet but I think he was encouraged when he got it 'perfect' on the second day. Narrations are also new. He comprehends very well but does not like writing. I think doing the written narrations will be a great way for him to develop a love for writing.

Beyond...was a lot of fun to do also! My little gal LOVES to read and she doesn't want to stop when we finish our readings for the day. She has loved reading about the first pioneers this week. I was never sure about notebooking before because I had never seen it done I guess. But I love the idea of it after seeing it in Preparing and she wanted her own so we even made up a notebook page for her history reading this week and plan to keep that up since she enjoys it! She also loved learning about Helen Keller. We have taken turns reading that one and are ahead of schedule so we may have to pick up another biography at the library next week. I wanted to finish it quickly so we could take a field trip to a printhouse for the blind that happens to be near us next week. Like her brother, she absolutely enjoyed doing science with experiments...even though she didn't want to do hers because she thought it felt icky on her hands.

Can't wait for our little guy to start Little Hearts in the fall. He is having fun just watching the other two and was able to recite big brother's memory verse almost completely again by himself at supper tonight! Anyways, we had a great week and look forward to many more! I don't know how to put pics up here yet but here's where you can see a blog about the week if you'd like to try and check it out... http://ourfamilysjourneyoflove.blogspot.com.
Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, knowing it is from the Lord you will receive the reward of inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.
Col 3:23-24

11yo CTC
7yo Bigger
5yo LHFHG

Mom4Him

Post by Mom4Him » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:08 pm

Hello Ladies!! :D
Julie, I hope your family is on the mend! I have been praying for you!! I really enjoyed seeing the fun that Wyatt had with Science. And the pitures of Riley & Emmett with the magnifying glass are too cute! :D
Anne, I am so glad you posted about your family's week doing Preparing. When others share about the older guides, it makes me start itching to get there with our family (but I will patiently wait & continue enjoying the guides we are in now).
Gina, I am so glad you are enjoying LHTH too! It is so much fun- isn't it!? :D There is a topic on the board about posting pictures, but I am a bit computer iliterate myself, so I'm not sure how to link you to it- hopefully someone else can help with that. :wink:

This week we were in Unit 24 of LHTH- talking about more of Jesus' miracles.
One of our favorite activities was reinacting the story of Jesus walking on the water. I did not realize until that day how much everyone in our family is itching for summer. When I mentioned to the girls that we would get to act out the story using real water, all 3 of them immediately ran to get their swimsuits on. :D And after putting my camera away, I came back into the kitchen to find all 3 of them trying to be Jesus walking on the water- at the same time- inside the tiny tub we were using. ..:D
Image Image Image
We also really enjoyed the art project for the week- finger-painting white paint on blue paper & sprinkling salt over the top. Each of them wanted to make their own Jesus & boat to put through the slits in the paper. They each worked so hard & were so proud of their work! :D
Image Image
LHTH was a blessing to us once again this week! :D
Jessica

Mom4Him

Post by Mom4Him » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:16 pm

seekhimfirst- We must have been writing our Week-in-Reviews at the same time. :D
I really enjoyed reading about your week (& seeing the pictures)! Your family is just precious! It sounds like HOD is a perfect fit for you- I am so happy for you! :D
Jessica

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:36 pm

Bigger Hearts For His Glory at 1/2 pace. (Unit 6)

This week was a little busy for us, but we did more than we have been doing. I think Elijah is getting ready or closer to doing more. We are still working on his independence and he has done great this week getting things ready for me at the beginning of the day. We actually did 3 days of the unit in 1 week. Usually we do only half of day 3 in the first week. We do cursive daily since "Cheerful Cursive is such a hit! and we do 3 dictation lessons per week.

For Bible Study he had to look up the word faithful, read the memory verse and do the motions to it. Here in the picture he is binding kindness and truth around his neck. This was interesting since 2 weeks ago he had done something unkind to his little sister (making fun of her while she was crying about something) and Daddy send him to his room to pray and find a scripture that would be fitting. He went to Proverbs 3:3 and we actually had him wear a Truth and Kindness necklace for a few days as a reminder. So when I pulled the Mem. verse out this week, he already knew verse 3 by hard!
ImageImageImage

We started DITHOR 2 weeks ago at 3 times a week and this week Elijah was so excited to start "Barry, the Bravest St Bernard". He was a bit taken back that he had to take 5 days to read this book. He read Columbus by Ingri D'aulaire as his first book and liked it, but was not as thrilled as seeing Barry. He did great on the activities in the student book, being able to come up with answers on his own without much prompting. I am glad that we will be reading different books so that he learns to appreciate other genres, because I do think that adventure is his favorite!

English is going very well. We even made the extra project in the book, thought it would add to co-op and with doing it half time, the kids can handle the extra work. We have been involved in co-op since we started with HOD with LHTH. I do once a week with my friend who has 2 children. We stay on track and it is wonderful accountability and encouragement for the both of us.
ImageImage

Oh, did we ever have a great time with this Science Exploration. It was an awesome visual of how the body's immune system goes to work. The kids had fun yelling Virus, virus etc. Than they did such a great job drawing the experiment, it was great to do it at co-op and more fun for my son to do it with his friends.
ImageImageImage[/url]Image

The history activity was also a hit at co-op this week. All three kiddo's enjoyed jumping and did not want to stop. That did help with getting some better shots! The children had a great time learning about William Penn and remembered the story very well with all these activities.
ImageImageImage

I have also noticed the improvement with vocabulary for Elijah, he usually knows one of the words from contextual reading. We will probably wait a few more units before he will move on to doing 2 words. I usually do one and he has been doing well filing them away, working on his filing skills. He has had much fun drawing for vocabulary and I notice the improvement in his drawing and coloring for his notebooking and vocab.
As for Story time we are almost to the end of our Biography (a little behind). We are reading the YWAM version of Hudson Taylor and it is great, but the chapters are long and we want to understand and favor the story and be able to the activities. So with that said. I have been a little flexible in jumping around my manual more this year and putting sticky notes for some of the subjects.
Thank you to HOD for another very educational and fun learning.
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

rainbowacreshs

Post by rainbowacreshs » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:39 pm

Hi all!
1st Mom4Him>>>LOVE the pics of your girls doing LHTH! So inspiring! I can't wait for my own Tiffy to be able to dig into LHTH like yours are.

Right now we are just doing little parts of LHTH (sometimes modified) at a time maybe just once or twice a week. Today I chose the color pink as the color to look for around the house. I gave her a reusable shopping bag and together we went through the house placing things that were pink into her bag. Then we dumped them out on the kitchen table, naming everything we found and counting them too! I think she had more fun throwing stuff in the bag and dumping it out again lol :lol: :!:

Ok..... for CTC... we did accomplish finishing up unit 16 and are 1 and 1/4 days into unit 17. :) Yeah! Kasey was able to recite Dust of Snow to me with good pitch, tone and inflection.
Since we switched to Building with Diligence this past February I am starting to see improvement with her comprehension of grammar skills. This week she worked lesson 6 which required her to write two short compositions. Glancing over them I am very very pleased with the content of them and overall sentence structure. She utilized her grandmother for her source of "asking an older person" about an event that happened long time ago.

Well I think thats it for now...

Blessings,
Jasmine
~Jasmine~
Married to a wonderful hubby since '95
DD Kasey 14 RTR Sept. '11 - June '12
DD Typhoon Tiffy 3yrs old beggining LHTH

Lil Ruth born April 25 2011..and just a pure joy!

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:21 pm

Little hands to Heaven at 1/2 pace Unit 9.

We had a bit of a busy week, but worked through it and did school. Luke wanted to learn to read so we started him on some gentle phonics instruction. He is so excited and wants to tell everyone about it. He was slightly disappointed that it would take a while to learn to read. He thought he could read the Bible during family devotions the next day :( .

We finished our number 8 page from last unit, since we did not have a magazine last week with jewelry pictures. He had fun making the number 8 on the page and finding room for his eight 8's.Image
This week we also started skip counting with the count on me pages and he did fine recognizing the numbers and playing the soft-loud game to skip count. Saying the odd numbers soft and the even numbers loud! He recognizes his numbers well.ImageImage

We made our numbers book 1-10 to remind us of the 10 commandments and had a blast stamping away and counting.We had just read about Moses and the receiving of the 10 commandments as we are going through the Bible during our family devotions with Daddy, so the story was fresh in Luke's mind. He was very proud to present his booklet to Daddy when he came home from work. :D
ImageImageImage

At co-op they put little hands on the one h and punched holes on the other. I was excited to finally use these die cuts I have had for many years from my scrapbooking days I love how it came out. I have not been involved with the pre-school co-op yet this year since I have been teaching BHFHG to the 3 older ones.

Hope this coming week will be another HOD blessings for all. Keep in good health and may the grace of God sustain you this week.
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.