February 28, 2008: Weekly Check In!

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:00 pm

Oh My Goodness! I absolutely LOVED all the shares!

Christa, I LOVED Gracie's face as she showed off her rainbow!

InHisTiming, I LOVED the pictures of Windsor Castle. (yes, I know that wasn't school, but it was COOL!) I also hope you have a GREAT visit with your parents!

Ann, we switched to the early reader bible too.

Dorla, I absolutely LOVE and ADORE your blog!

Carrie? When do we get to the saran wrap activity? I can't WAIT! What are Kapla blocks.

mom2boys, I LOVED your shields! LOVE them! We are supposed to make one on Monday in Beyond. HOW did you make that cake? It looks like a professional did it!?

My3sons, I hope you do start a blog! But I loved what you wrote. My favorite part was that your son thought Peter was decisive!
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

netpea

Post by netpea » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:22 pm

You guys are having too much fun. :lol:

I'm sorry to say that I've been a bit gruff with my dear ones this week :oops: because we never seem to get to schoolwork early enough in the day to get done before running off to something. Also because our 2 parakeets (we've only had about a month) live in the schoolroom, so the whole time I'm trying to work with the kids, they are trying to get the parakeets to stay on their shoulders. The parakeets however, want to sit on their playgym so they keep flying away. I am usually laid back, but sometimes I turn into the "do it NOW" lady....

Tomorrow though we are going to see the Peter Pan ballet at the Michigan Opera Theatre in Detroit. My 5yo dd has been to see Cinderella and the Nutcracker, but my 7yo ds has never been to a ballet before. He dances, but he's never seen one. I was 37 before I went to a ballet... My kids don't know how lucky they are. :lol: and of course I used to walk uphill both ways to school in the snow. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looking forward to a fun day with the kiddos tomorrow.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:45 pm

Karen - If our sons grow up to be as chivalrous as knights, wouldn't that just be wonderful?!? Knights are a good thing for boys to get excited about, and now you officially have TWO of them (since older ds "knighted" younger ds already)! :o I love that there is time to take HOD's activities further if you want to, like that cute knight shirt you made. I bet your boys will get lots of playtime out of those. Oh, and I'm envious that you've figured out how to post pictures here. I have not yet... I'm still a bit behind the times when it comes to computers! Anyway, have a great night - so glad you shared!
Blessings,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:45 pm

I can't believe how many of us studied the Reformation this week. I am looking forward to reading about the first settlers in America.

I just posted my week in review on my blog. Feel free to check it out by clicking on the link in my signature line.

Gina
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:13 pm

Karen,

I just had to pop in and say, "What an amazing cake! I cannot imagine the time (or talent) it would take to do that!"

Your oldest son's shield and outfit were so cute too! It's great when the kiddos get so involved in their "school" that it spills over into their afternoon play. I loved the part where your older son was knighting your little son. :wink:

Thanks for sharing! :D
Carrie

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:47 pm

I LOVE it! We have a permanent place.

I did have a thought though. Those of us (me included) who are just saying to click on our links should probably start to copy and paste the EXACT link, not just the general blog.

Because if someone wanted to go back and look at sample weeks the general link would only take them to our current post and they would have to search to find past posts about HOD.

So, rather than:

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

I should post the exact link:

http://homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/487703/
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:48 pm

water2wine wrote:
GREAT! I am sending all six! They will be excited! It looks like you guys know how to have fun! :D My kids loved your blog. The all wanted to ride the swing and play the music with your ds! 8)
Six? six? :shock: all six? We could have a little music ensemble!

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:13 pm

Okay, Mary. How did you do that? Where did you find the numbers to put at the end of your link?

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:17 pm

MamMary, good idea about being specific with the post.

inHistiming, copy and paste the address (URL) of the page you are on and the numbers and everything else needed for that specific page will be there.

hippiechyck

Post by hippiechyck » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:21 am

wow, you aren't around a few days and there's all sorts of fun new stuff! :P

we've had sick week this week...strep throat...so we've done nothing :lol:

what a report!
~*~Barbara~*~
using LH and BLH with the boys, ages 8.5 and 5

Blither Blather~~~Headmistress's Office

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:06 pm

We studied the Constitution and 3 branches of government, and added watching part of a dvd called "This is America, Charlie Brown"-it's a compilation of history-related Peanut's cartoons, and one of them was about the birth of the Constitution :P
We also enjoyed this week's art project on warm and cool colors where we made paintings of the land, sea, and sky, which tied in with our reading about Washington Irving-the girls found it fascinating that the author of Rip Van Winkle and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow once dreamed of being a sailor! They also found it interesting that he was a bit of a mischievous boy who liked to play tricks on people, which probably is why his sense of humor shines through in his stories. One thing they pointed out to me was that although he liked to play tricks, he was known for being honest, like his namesake, George Washington. My girls were glad to know you can be honest, and still have a sense of humor :P
I'll try to post pics of their paintings later!
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:43 am

hippiechyck wrote:wow, you aren't around a few days and there's all sorts of fun new stuff! :P

we've had sick week this week...strep throat...so we've done nothing :lol:

what a report!
Barbara,

I'm so sorry you've been sick!? Strep throat is awful, bless your heart. Praying right now that the Lord ministers to your needs as you all work on getting better. (((Warm WARM Hugs)))

I am really sorry. We've gone through strep and it is just awful. :(

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:45 am

blessedmomof4 wrote:We studied the Constitution and 3 branches of government,
Lourdes! How perfect is this to study on an election year! May I ask which unit this is in?

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:30 pm

Ok...here goes... :?

My dd and I are in Unit 8 in LHTH, which is about the Exodus.
God said,
Let my people go!
Pharoah kept on saying, NO!
Pharoah's sad.
His son is dead.
Let my people go,
God said!

We've had a great time making our "number book".  I don't subscribe to any magazines, so instead of cutting out things, we create them some other way.  This is our jewlery, made with glitter glue and "real jewels" fro the Wal-Mart craft isle. :D

I thought I'd include my ds, even though we're not using HOD yet.
This is our math time. We're making groups of 5 and learning multipliation facts. The book said to use macaroni, but chocolate is ALWAYS more fun!
Image[/img]
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:17 pm

Kathleen...your children are adorable! :D Your dd looks like she is really having fun. We "eat" a lot of our math lessons, too!

I'm so glad Mary had this idea. I'm guessing she didn't realize it would turn into a computer class for some of us! :wink:

I'm looking forward to Thursday, and I think that's a good idea to put the unit # and which program we are doing.
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02