Week in Review 11/2/09 - 11/6/09

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

Daisy

Week in Review 11/2/09 - 11/6/09

Post by Daisy » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:05 pm

Copied from previous posts:

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Wife of 18 years to Jon.
DragonFly (12yo)
Buttercup (14yo)

Daisy

Re: Week in Review 11/2/09 - 11/6/09

Post by Daisy » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:06 pm

Here's our week in review!

http://daisyhomeschoolblog.blogspot.com ... 2-115.html

Bigger - Unit 8.1-8.3
CTC - Unit 10.4-11.3
Wife of 18 years to Jon.
DragonFly (12yo)
Buttercup (14yo)

butterfly113

Post by butterfly113 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:50 pm

We have had a great week with HOD!

Here is our week in review!

http://joshuatreeacademy.blogspot.com/2 ... it-11.html
Butterfly
Married to Grasshopper for 21 wonderful years.
DS14 Caterpillar - full of life!
http://joshuatreeacademy.blogspot.com

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:03 pm

This week, I am just so thankful to be able to be at home enjoying my children! :D Their smiles and hugs are truly blessings from the Lord! (Just so you know, there are days where I'm seriously tempted to want a vacation from motherhood...prompted by seemingly endless "opportunities" for discipline. :roll: ) But, I want to keep my focus on the fact that God has given me a wonderful opportunity to teach my kids about Him and train them to serve Him and enjoy them in the process while they're growing and giggling. :D

In Preparing, Grant finished Unit 11.

The thing I am most pleased with this week is the progress we've made in the dawdling area. A few weeks ago I know I posted about wanting some ideas for help in teaching him to make the most of his time and not day dream it away. We have prayed about it, and talked about why our time is so important. God gives us one chance to use it...and it matters! Mike and I were wanting to get him some spray paint to paint his tree house, so we decided that for a few weeks he would get a dime for every box that was completed in the amount of time it's given. He has made GREAT progress, and finished 10 out of 10 boxes on time Wed and Thurs! :D (And, now he's really enjoying all his free time that has returned so I think he will be motivated to keep working on focusing on his work when he's suppossed to. :wink: )

Grant really enjoyed making a flip book of Elijah's challenge to the prophets of Baal this week. (I dropped the ball on pics of him this week. :oops: ) Here is his written narration of our history reading on Thurs.
In Israel, Athaliah tried to wipe out the royal family but Joash was saved by Jehosheba and Jehoiada. Satan wanted to wipe them out because the Savior was promised through them. At the age of seven Joash became King of Judah and his wicked grandmother was put to death.

Fossils were the topic for science this week. He has been thoroughly enjoying the Dinosaur book for science. We've also been reading Dragons of the Deep for DITHOR, so he's been loaded with how the fossils line up with the Bible...and loving it! :D 8) Here are some pics of his experiment "making fossils" this week. He especially loved that his name showed up in the fossil from his knife that has it engraved. :wink:
ImageImageImage

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:24 pm

In LHFHG, Allison and Garret are part way through Unit 3.

We read about the people dispersing after the Tower of Babel and then Abraham in history. I LOVED the folding clothes activity that we did at the beginning of the week!! :D Thank you SO much, Carrie, for including folding clothes as a skill we do in school! :D I just so happened to have a MOUNTAIN of clothes sitting on the living room floor on this day...and I had 2 little eager beavers who attacked them for an hour or so after school. :wink: They were even telling Daddy that night, "Daddy, we can fold clothes!! Even Garret! So, I'm sure you can learn, too." :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

They both love to work on memorizing the Bible verses, and the activities to go along with it. Here we're taking "sock shots". VERY motivating fun to keep them wanting to say the verse more times. They loved making a basket and being the one who got to say the verse. :D
ImageImage

Our math activities this week were from unit 8 and 9, and were about comparing the size of things. Here they were lining up a pile of stuffed animals that I set out from biggest to smallest. Then we talked about who would wear the biggest hat, who would eat the smallest piece of pie, who would wear medium-sized shoes, etc.
ImageImage

We did the same kind of thing with these shoes. Then they compared them to their feet and said whether they would be too big, too small, or just right.
ImageImageImage

I just love seeing my kids thoroughly enjoy being with each other and having fun learning!
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:10 pm

Kathleen, your children are too precious. I love the pictures and the review.
Wife of 18 years to Jon.
DragonFly (12yo)
Buttercup (14yo)