Week in Review 7/10/09

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

WigglesMom

Week in Review 7/10/09

Post by WigglesMom » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:56 pm

Ok Girls,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!

WigglesMom

Re: Week in Review 7/10/09

Post by WigglesMom » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:02 pm

We had a good week. We didn't do a lot with LHTH b/c I still don't have masking tape and my printer is out of ink so I can't make copies. I somehow didn't take any pics of LHFHG (oops!) but a lot of BHFHG. I have no idea how that happened. Here are some pics of BHFHG for this week.
Bre's Indian blanket drawing
Bre working on the Indian sand painting
Bre's Indian sand painting

Aaron did one LHTH activity and some various puzzles and such if you want to check it out
http://wigglewormsfirstschool.blogspot. ... -week.html
http://www.ourtidbitsoflearning.blogspot.com/
Hope everyone had a good week.

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:57 pm

I love the colors Bre used in her Indian sand painting. Very pretty! Those pics of wiggleworm caught at the gate are SO cute! Looks like you had a good week.

Leah
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:32 pm

Preparing Hearts for His Glory Unit 2

OK, Sorry it has taken me so long to post. I learned a valuable lesson about not skipping Friday and saying "we'll do school over the weekend". We did get it done but there was a lot going on this weekend so it wasn't easy. I'm trying to remember now everything we did...

The kids had fun painting a beautiful rainbow. (learned about the flood this week)

Finished The True Story of Noah's Ark. (We thought it was a beautiful, interesting book)

We read Life in the Great Ice Age during History Reading. (ds was excited to hear the book that comes before his mammoth book in his extension pack)

Fried my hair dryer. (ds was seeing how fast he could melt an ice cube for science and stuck the hair dryer down in the glass. All I got out was, "No wait! Don't..." and it sparked and then was forever dead.) :( My fault, I should have seen that one coming. Just glad he didn't get hurt.

We had a breakthrough with how long school takes. On Thursday we were done in 4 hours!! I timed our progress on Wednesday and this gave me ideas for where I could get things tightened up a little. I was right that LA was our main problem and I was able to tweak it a little.

We used the old sign language book that I bought when I was a kid to make up some of the motions for our Bible verses. That was fun.

Part of our success with the time factor was also the fact that I separated the kids to two different tables so there was a lot less interaction between the two. No more, "Mom, she/he's wiggling the table!" Ahh, bliss. :D

I bought a bigger dictionary and this has made the vocabulary lesson go a lot better. It is a junior dictionary and the kids like the pictures and the fact that it's easier to find the words with larger print.

I missed the fact that dd was supposed to start Noah's Ark, Noah's Flood in Independent History this week so I read a few pages today and will catch her up tomorrow. It seems like a very informative book so far!

All in all, a great week!

Leah
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:56 pm

Val -love the pictures of the boys infiltrating the kitchen - very funny.We have similar scene's going on here.I liked the colour matching activity.I loved your older ones sand art .
Leah - so you learnt lots about electricity and water this week and how not to melt an icecube.I bet thats a lesson they will never forget - I remember the time my brother tied to pour water on a burning piece of toast in an electric toaster. :D It sounds like you are really finding your stride with homeschooling.Well done
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD