Week in Review 7/2/09

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

busybee4

Week in Review 7/2/09

Post by busybee4 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:14 am

We've just begun our LHTH journey and this week has gone quite well!! We are only doing 3 days a week for my active little guy so things will go slow...but I've learned that there is NOTHING wrong with slow!!! :D Check out our week that I've posted on our homeschool blog. (I hope I'm doing all this correctly!! Please let me know if I'm not!!! :oops: )

Loving HOD!!

http://rubyslippersschool.blogspot.com/ ... eek-1.html
Krissy, wife to a great man for 10 years and busy Mom to
dd '02 (BLHFHG)
dd '03 (BLHFHG)
ds '05
dd '08 watching it all happen...but not doing it very quietly!!
http://www.rubyslippersschool.com

gotpeace91

Re: Week in Review 7/2/09

Post by gotpeace91 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:29 pm

busybee4,
It looks like you had a great time doing LHTH with your little guy. Very nice blog and pictures! :)
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:04 pm

Preparing Hearts for His Glory Unit 1

Image arctic tundra (silly face) :P
Image arctic tundra (serious face)
Image plant
Image tree
Image first unit complete :)
Image notice the duct tape to hold the swords together :lol:
Image coat of arms
Image coat of arms

We had a great first week! It does take us until 2 or 3 but the time just flies because we are enjoying it so much. :) The children are really enjoying Grandpa's Box and answer all the questions that he asks the grandchildren. They look forward to it every day. It has brought up some interesting discussions. For instance when I asked what they might have found difficult about living during the time of Adam and Eve, my son said, "I think it would have been hard to get around." I said, "What do you mean?" He said, "They were blind, because it said their eyes were opened when they ate the fruit!" :D I explained it to him and he said he had always thought they were blind.

Then today when I asked, "How is Jesus like the ark?" He piped up right away, "He's Unsinkable!" :lol: I said, "Yes that's true, but he is also like the ark because He saves us." :)

Following Preparing and Loving it!
Leah
Last edited by gotpeace91 on Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Leah

busybee4

Post by busybee4 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:18 pm

gotpeace91,

I love the pictures!!! Your children seem to really enjoy what they're doing!! And as I look ahead at the manuals I can't help but get excited because they seem like they just get better and better!! Hope the rest of your weeks go just as well!!
dd '02 (BLHFHG)
dd '03 (BLHFHG)
ds '05

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:44 pm

Thank you busybee4!! They really are having fun with it! After doing textbook work their whole lives this method of learning is quite a relief for them.
I thought I should mention that our days are only going a little long because we spent a little extra time each day getting things started this week that we'll be able to just grab and go the rest of the year. Also, we have a struggling reader that slows things down a little and we have added R&S spelling, flashmaster and typing. But we truly have been shocked each day when we looked at the clock and realized how much time has flown by. :D
~Leah

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:25 pm

Leah,

Looks like your children did an awesome job and I am glad for you that they are loving school. Give yourself a few weeks to get into the groove and you'll notice everything going faster. I seems like it does not bother you to go long, but it will all go even smoother in about 5-6 weeks :D
Your ticker says you have 34 weeks, but you now have 33 weeks. How sad it is that the weeks go by so fast and before you know it you are at the end of a guide like we are and you don't want to quit, but are excited for the next one :)

Ruby Slippers,

How exciting for you that your little one took so well to his "fun" school. LHTH is great and you will all enjoy the activities. Beyond is so good, my ds thinks that everybody should do fun school like we do :D
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:38 am

Krissy- Your little guy looks like he had quite a bit of fun with his first week of LHTH! Loved the "a-a-adam" pic!

Leah- Your kids sure did enjoy Preparing. I love how your son reasons things about God and the Bible in his mind. :D And the picture of your children "battling" made me smile because my kids do that all the time!

I hope both of you have a lot of fun and I can't wait to start back up in the fall. YAY!!!!!
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:11 pm

Krissy - I loved the pictures on your blog! Oh my, that picture of the 2 of them saying "A-A-Adam" had be smiling, and every picture showed a happy smiling little guy. Just what school should be about! I am getting excited to begin LHTH a third time around with our third son too, and your pictures show exactly why that is still exciting to me, even the third time around. LHTH is just the best start to homeschooling. :wink:

Leah - Your boys and girl look ready for battle. Those shields turned out great, and so did their notebooking! I liked the "silly" and "serious" faces too. We can never underestimate the power of laughter and merriment in our day. I also just have to mention how lovely your ds's cursive is in his notebooking. They all did such a good job, and I bet the love seeing their sticker charts fill up.

I have GOT TO visit this weekly check-in more often, we are not doing school now until the end of summer, but my visit here today has certainly put the "sunny" into my summer day today. :D Thanks, ladies, for sharing! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:19 am

Krissy- I loved your blog- I loved the picture of your little one doing A for adam,and I feel reassured that my little one will love LHTH when we start.
Leah- my six year old saw the pictures of your week and said 'I want to do that".It nice to know he is looking forward to preparing.I like your ticker too
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

busybee4

Post by busybee4 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:04 am

Ladies,

Thank you for all the kind comments!!! I can't wait to see how your weeks go as well!!! I'm sure they'll be sweet, fun and education!! I love the tickers as well!! Might have to get me one!! :wink:
dd '02 (BLHFHG)
dd '03 (BLHFHG)
ds '05

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:38 pm

spidermansmum wrote: Leah- my six year old saw the pictures of your week and said 'I want to do that".It nice to know he is looking forward to preparing.I like your ticker too
Thank you, I'm glad that he was inspired. I'm sure he will love Preparing when he gets to it. It's a lot of fun! :)
my3sons wrote: Leah - Your boys and girl look ready for battle. Those shields turned out great, and so did their notebooking! I liked the "silly" and "serious" faces too. We can never underestimate the power of laughter and merriment in our day. I also just have to mention how lovely your ds's cursive is in his notebooking. They all did such a good job, and I bet the love seeing their sticker charts fill up.
Thank you Julie, They really looked forward to working on those shields each day. It is neat that you should mention ds's cursive. His cursive is beautiful and it seemed to come naturally to him. It's funny because I can hardly read his print! :lol: Dd is just the opposite, beautiful printing and struggles with cursive.
Jessi wrote: Leah- Your kids sure did enjoy Preparing. I love how your son reasons things about God and the Bible in his mind. :D And the picture of your children "battling" made me smile because my kids do that all the time!
Thank you Jessi, It was great to have those discussions with ds. I treasured the little glimpse into his heart and mind. They had fun trying to get that battle pose just right. They wanted to work it so that their swords were touching their shields.
moedertje wrote: Leah,
Looks like your children did an awesome job and I am glad for you that they are loving school. Give yourself a few weeks to get into the groove and you'll notice everything going faster. I seems like it does not bother you to go long, but it will all go even smoother in about 5-6 weeks :D
Your ticker says you have 34 weeks, but you now have 33 weeks. How sad it is that the weeks go by so fast and before you know it you are at the end of a guide like we are and you don't want to quit, but are excited for the next one :)
Thank you! You're right I think we will get into the hang of things soon. There was a lot of fumbling about and getting things squared away how we wanted to do them this week. There are 35 units in Preparing so I think my ticker is right. Thanks for the reminder though, I wouldn't want to miss that sense of satisfaction when I see that turtle moving along the line. :lol:
~Leah

WigglesMom

Post by WigglesMom » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:35 pm

LHTH (sort of)
I was out of masking tape and supplies this week so Wiggles just played and joined in with us sometimes.
This is Wiggles joining in on Big Sis’ BHFHG lesson. He is pointing to the North Pole and saying Nort ‘ol. LOL!
LHFHG
Bubba and Tadpole making their tapestry
Their finished tapestries.
BHFHG
Big Sis doing the egg experiment to learn why animals float better in sea water.
If you want to see more of our week,
http://wigglewormsfirstschool.blogspot.com/
http://ourtidbitsoflearning.blogspot.com/

WigglesMom

Post by WigglesMom » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:50 pm

busybee4,
I loved your blog and it was really neat to see what LHTH might be like when ds2.5 gets a little older.
gotpeace91,
It really looks like your kids are enjoying the curriculum. I can't wait to get to it with my oldest dd. I love the serious face picture :) .

I can't wait to see everyone's updates next week.
Val

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:04 am

Thanks Val, I loved your blog and that pic of Wiggles "north 'ole" is too Cute!! :D :D
Leah
~Leah

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:36 am

Val - I bet wiggles was super cute saying his "nort ole". I guess next he'll learn the "sout ole". :lol: It looks like you have a nice area set up for school. Your older dc's tapestries turned out neat, and your dd looks very scientific doing her egg experiment. That is one of the things I feel super good about - getting experiments done consistently! This was always hard for me prior to HOD. It's great to see dc taking on the active role of doing the experiment themselves. When I used to teach ps, it usually ended up with me doing the experiment in front of the classroom and the dc just watching, with only a few being able to help - 32 dc adds up to too many supplies for the schools to buy. Anyway, it's so nice dc can actually be the ones to be actively involved in solving science questions and doing experiments with HOD. Thanks for sharing! :D

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie