Week In Review 5-22

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

spidermansmum

Week In Review 5-22

Post by spidermansmum » Sun May 24, 2009 11:18 am

Ok Girls,did I do the date ok?

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

spidermansmum

Re: Week In Review 5-22

Post by spidermansmum » Sun May 24, 2009 11:26 am

We have had highs and lows this week.We had the high of Nathan finishing The reading Lesson,and the low as we tried continuing on with reading and had a hard time. Here is the high
http://stanleysmagicgarden.blogspot.com ... esson.html
and the low http://stanleysmagicgarden.blogspot.com ... never.html
Here we are having fun learning the points on a compass

The joy of inventing.
The story of Thomas Edddison certainly struck a chord with my son.and here is a faint picture of his invention

About Carver studying plants and looking at all the parts of a plant

- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

pollo_la

Post by pollo_la » Mon May 25, 2009 1:51 pm

WOW!!!! What fantastic reading. You must be so proud. I'm sorry you had a setback after that, but it certainly seems like he is progressing extremely well. :D

Here are a couple posts from my blog recently...
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/adventure/690160/
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/adventure/690165/
Laurie:
Wife to Daniel since June 2002
Mom to: Odessa (5) using LHFHG and Emerging Readers from BLHFHG,
Sophie (3), Nadia (2), and Elliana (newborn)

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Mon May 25, 2009 8:23 pm

No pictures this week, just letting you girls know that I was at the FPEA convention in Orlando, Fl and I had my dh do Day 4 of Unit 25 in Beyond. They had a great time and both him and my ds enjoyed it very much. The only thing they forgot not do were his Phonics sheets. They read 3 chapters in our Humor book Mr. Popper's Penguins and did the activity.
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon May 25, 2009 9:58 pm

I never made it to review our week last week...so a lot has happened here again. Here are a few highlights from weeks 32 and 33 of Bigger. :D

We finished reading about the Wright Brothers and Their Sister in history. I just can't say enough good things about that book! It was truly inspiring and so much fun to read. We loved it and were a little sad to see it end. Grant loved all that we learned about flight along the way. Here we did a few quick experiments with "lift", "gravity", and "thrust" - all necessary parts of flight. :D
ImageImageImage

In DITHOR, Grant finished reading Capyboppy for the humor genre. We really enjoyed the game that the guide suggested playing as we discussed cause and effect. We were to make up 5 sets of cards that had a cause and effect listed on them. Then we played "memory" with the cards matching the cause to the proper effect. Fun! :D

In science we are reading about Thomas Edison. Grant is actually reading much of this book by himself. (I'm going to have to read it in the evenings to catch up.) I do know what's going on though because most days Grant has to narrate to me. :wink: We had great fun with the experiments that we've done in the last couple of weeks! We talked about the different states of matter, and what happens when something changes from a liquid to a gas. Here is a little experiment with hot and cold water to show how the particles are moving faster in the hot water.
ImageImage

This was Grant's favorite experiment of the week. :D 8) Thomas Edison was buying different chemicals for his "laboratory" with the money he earned. He and his friend Michael decided to see if Michael could fly from the gas produced by combining some chemicals. (Actually Michael wasn't too excited about the idea...and he ended up sick.) For our experiment we added baking soda to water and vinegar.
ImageImageImage

We also made our own pop on Friday. Grant spent a lot of time trying to find the "perfect recipe" for this after the experiment was over...but we decided if we want pop we're just going to have to go to Sonic or Wal-Mart. :lol: Our creations were kind of disgusting. (But, it sure was fun! :D )
ImageImage

We're now on our last week with Bigger. Wow! :shock: It has been a great year! :D

Here is Grant's favorite extra activity this week - turkey hunting with Dad and Uncle Matt (who's home for a few weeks from college). :D

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon May 25, 2009 10:58 pm

Here is some of our fun in LHTH Units 28 and 29. :D

We've been reading about Jesus' ministry. Allison and Garret thought the pictures they colored of Jesus' transfiguration on the mountain were great. They loved painting them with oil so they were transparent!
ImageImageImage

Here they're pretending to be Jesus taking time to hug and bless the children. (They were so careful to make sure each "child" got attention. :wink: )
ImageImage

We really got into building "Jerusalem". Then, Allison and Garret were the soldiers that came and knocked it all down. (In our Bible story we read about Jesus being sad that the people in Jerusalem didn't believe him and weren't going to obey him, so their punishment would be that their city would be destroyed.)
ImageImageImage

We read the story of the widow who gave all her money to God. Even though it was a small amount, Jesus pointed out how great her gift was because it was all she had. For a math activity that day, we counted money. (I explained nickels and dimes to Alli, too. Not Garret yet. :wink: )
ImageImageImage

We talked about how we must open the Bible so that we know how it says to live - and then obey it! Our activity this day had us opening and closing things around the house - CD players, doors, Garret's special "knife". :D
ImageImageImage

We practiced putting on and then taking off coats as we acted out the story of Palm Sunday. Garret is just learning to put on a coat by himself and zip it, so he thought this was great. It's fun to watch him be proud of his new accomplishments! :D
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

Learning about Communion and what it means was timely for us as Garret and Allison have been asking a lot of questions about it and what it means and why they can't take it yet. Here we reverently practiced washing feet and remembering Jesus with the bread and juice as He said at the last supper.

We finished making our color book this week. Here are our Gray and Green pages...
ImageImage
Allison was already quite good with scissors, and loves to be allowed to cut things out. (We had a ban on scissors after her major 3 yr old hair cut :lol: ) Garret has really improved with scissors this year! Making the line with a black permanent marker for him to follow, like Carrie suggests in the guide, is a BIG help. I wasn't doing this, and was guiding him by helping hold the magazine as he cut between my hands. He was always trying to cut right on top of what he wanted to cut out rather than going around it though. The line really helps! So, if you're being lazy like I was, go get that marker. :wink: It's an important step in helping little ones cut successfully!
ImageImage

Here is our fun with the letter W. :D
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

Allison ended this week with her 5th birthday on Saturday! We had some yummy homemade rhubarb muffins for breakfast (with a candle of course). :D The poor girl really didn't want pictures taken because of a little mishap flying off the trampoline the day before. :cry: Thankfully she didn't lose any teeth or break anything! Those fun games that big brothers come up with don't always end well...but they're fun while they last. Her scratches are already healing. :D

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Tue May 26, 2009 11:43 am

Oh Kathleen,

What fun. We are just behind you in guides. We are starting Bigger with my 6 going on 7 year old ds and LHTH with my 4 year old ds and 2 year old dd in the fall.
I will be in LHTH for the 2nd time, but now with two children at the same time so it will add to it when we do the finger plays and the dramatic plays.
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.