week ending 17th April check in

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

spidermansmum

week ending 17th April check in

Post by spidermansmum » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:53 am

Copying and pasting here...

Ok Girls,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

spidermansmum

Re: week ending 17th April check in

Post by spidermansmum » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:14 am

Hello all.I am thrilled our school week is now in synchronisation with the calender week.This we week was week 26 of Little Hearts For His Glory.I like it all matched up and hope it will stay like this now.
Here is our blog entries[all of them for this week :shock: ]
http://stanleysmagicgarden.blogspot.com ... y-310.html
http://stanleysmagicgarden.blogspot.com ... y-311.html
http://stanleysmagicgarden.blogspot.com ... y-312.html
http://stanleysmagicgarden.blogspot.com ... still.html

Okay for those of you without a an hour or so to spare on my Blog heres the highlights :D
School restarted after the easter break without as much resistance as I had expected :D
Here we are playing a game about the charter oak[Am I alone in having kids half dressed in their PJ's in their lessons?]

Starting division

The icy Delaware crossing
This was an amazingly well timed activity for us.When Nathan first left the PS system last year -he was very stressed an we used a similar activity-we would deep freeze in tubs various plastic animals.The next day he would smash the animals free with a little toy hammer in a big bowl of water.Its been a stressful time for him -and this was just what we needed to do-was get the ice out and let him smash his boat through and melt the ice with his hands.It was only when I saw him enjoying playing wuth the ice that I remembered what we had done last year and why.

Learning about Betty Ross and the 1777 US flag

mansmom

Post by mansmom » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:48 pm

Here's our week....only 3 weeks left of Beyond...I cannot believe it!!

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/mansmom/680426/
Joy

Mary '00 Preparing w/ LLATL orange & Horizons math
Alison '02 some LHFHG and a collection of other things
Nathan '04 LHFHG, RME, and Horizons math
Samuel '07 Constantly talking....

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:27 am

Im glad someone else posted.I am the thread killer :twisted: .Maybe its my english way of writing the title.We write date/month/year.It took me along time to see why 9/11 wasnt 11/9....
I loved your blog.Nathan looks so proud :D
currently Using

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:14 pm

Preparing Hearts for His Glory:
Wyatt made a Renaissance-style pendant this week for his history project. We had so much fun rolling the clay beads and pendant, painting them, and making a necklace out of them. I am enjoying these projects so much - I am definitely not a person who usually likes that kind of thing, but these projects have been great. It must be because there are only a few ingredients to mix (glue, cornstarch, water, toothpaste), so I am not racing off to the store to gather supplies. Also, they are SHORT projects, and Wyatt can do them himself with me just joining if I want - I couldn't resist this time. :D

This time of the year is so busy, and yet we are still enjoying school so much. Looking back on the growth of Wyatt in the areas of creative writing with poetry, written narrations, oral narrations, dictation - so many LA skills - I am thrilled with the results HOD has hand-crafted in him. He even does well with his vocabulary cards now, and is beginning to be able to take notes as well.

He has come to love his Bible quiet time on Day 3 and 4 of the plans - I can tell he'll be ready for his independent Bible Quiet time in CTC next year.

This is just such a good place to be at for us - we have this satisfied feeling of a year of schooling that many gains were made. Not that my ds is perfect, but that he is happy and content with life, including his school; and I am too. :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:26 pm

Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory:
Riley is growing into his Beyond guide so well. We are hitting our stride. :D He even read the plans the other day for Reading About History, got the right history book, and was waiting (impatiently :lol: ) for me to read to him on the couch. He especially loves the history readings and can hardly wait to find out what will happen the next day. "Mom, just tell me the name of the next story - pleeeeeeeeeze!" :lol: I will do that - but I do not go ahead further than what is scheduled in the plans. The connections are just to great to mess that up. :D

His narrations are growing longer and more detailed than they were at first. He continues to say "and then" over and over, but I'm alright with that at this early stage. He's starting to remember more and more of the key parts of the story, and he is very theatrical in his retellings. He's my child oozing with drama, and it certainly shows in his narrations as he changes his voice for different characters and moods. This is something my oldest son rarely does in his narrations, though he has skills in other narration areas. That is one of the fun things about narrations - they allow personality to shine through. :)

My Dad was here one of the days I was gone to a book fair last week, and he listened to both Wyatt and Riley give narrations of their readings. He was amazed! He said that is a skill that he himself does not have, nor was he ever taught it at school. He had actually read the books out loud to the boys, and he did not remember all that they were telling. I have had that same experience. I'm so glad our dc will know better than we do. :wink:

Riley enjoyed weaving his Indian blanket and was so proud of the results. He also continues to thrive with his hands-on math in HOD so much so that by the time he does his SIngapore workbook, it's a cinch. I hope you had a great week too! :D

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:42 pm

spidermansmum wrote:Im glad someone else posted.I am the thread killer :twisted: .Maybe its my english way of writing the title.We write date/month/year.It took me along time to see why 9/11 wasnt 11/9....
I loved your blog.Nathan looks so proud :D

Sam - you are not a thread killer - you are a thread grower!!! :D I loved reading your blog and your post here. You can be so proud of Spiderman. You are a wonderful mom to him - very creative and encouraging of what he needs throughout the week. The charter throwing activity was a favorite around here - it looked like Spiderman enjoyed it too. I also liked his re-enactment of Washington crossing the Delaware. I bet that was a stress-reliever, and that was definitely God's timing that it fell on a day where your ds needed that. It sounds like he's moving along with TRL and ARFHW. All of that just takes awhile to get into - it sounds like the 2 of you are working hard on it together, and it will continue to come. Thanks for the pictures and the links to your blog! It was my favorite thing I've read today. :D These posts are read by homeshcool moms everywhere - it's great for you to share how it's going in your home - first, because it's a joy for board members to read; and second, because it's a peek into HOD for new potential HOD users. Thanks!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:49 pm

mansmom wrote:Here's our week....only 3 weeks left of Beyond...I cannot believe it!!

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/mansmom/680426/
Where does the time go? I know what you mean here - 3 weeks, and you'll be done with Beyond - way to go! :D I enjoyed reading your blog. That is very telling that your dd's remind each other of good character behavior by repeating their Bible verses. That's exactly the kind of gentle reproof the Bible suggests we give - how neat they are doing that of their own accord already. Little Nathan is getting a big cyber hug from me - he read his first sentence; now that is downright exciting. And you got to be a part of all of that! God is good. Your girls looked like they had a blast singing Yankee Doodle. What a testimony that you are 3 weeks from finishing, and there is still that love of learning flowing at your house!

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:21 pm

If you don't mind scrolling down to the end of the post, you can see us doing the science experiment from Bigger Unit 30, day 3.
I lumped our week together in my post and the experiment is the last thing in the line up.

http://dayspringdisciples.blogspot.com/

We did the history pieces of these Wright Bros. units the end of last summer, so we have been history free for a few weeks. My son also finished his spelling book a few weeks back, so he is enjoying some light days. This week's character trait of carefulness has been an easy one to find examples for this week!

In LHFHG my younger son has memorized Proverbs 15:3 - and it has provoked him to ask a number of questions. I love that. We also finished the last book we are going to read this year of Thornton Burgess. He loved them to pieces. I got tired of them a few months ago. [Sorry - Mommy confession!] I was delighted to start Peter Rabbit today, and since he has always loved Peter Rabbit, he was less disappointed in not reading more Thornton Burgess. I realized I purchased the wrong Peter Rabbit book... but thankfully it has most of the stories in it. I may have to read them out of order while I wait for the other one from the library! :O But still - he only has 2 units left, I believe! YAHOO!

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:49 am

Julie-Wyatt did a fab job on his pendant.It sounded like a lot of fun.Riley's weaving on his basket was good too and its nice that their Grandad got to take part in their schooling.
Momof2n2-I see you have had a lot of birthdays this week :D .I had a piece of artwork we called 'pencil on wall' til daddy repainted over it :D .The yeast experiment looked fun.
currently Using