Week In Review 4-10-09

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

my3sons

Week In Review 4-10-09

Post by my3sons » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:02 pm

Ok Girls,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Re: Week In Review 4-10-09

Post by my3sons » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:24 pm

Preparing Hearts for His Glory:
The spice route was so interesting to learn about this week. We made a project where we had a sample of each of the spices, researched the spice route on the Internet, made maps of the different routes for it, and traveled with explorers as they made their way across the world in search of spices. Did you know everyone wanted spices so much because raw meat was spoiled, and the spices covered up the terrible taste? :shock: Refrigeration is a wonderful invention, isn't it?!?

We really liked the science experiment this week. It explained how the earth's rotation causes the sun to look like it is setting and rising. We made 4 cards, taping "south" to the front of Wyatt's body, "north" to the back, "west" to the right shoulder, and "east" to the left shoulder. We went to a dark room, and I held a flashlight (I was the sun). He stood at a distance with his back to me, so it would be like very early morning, when the sun wasn't up yet. Then, he turned (rotating) left very slowly without turning his head. He had to stop when he saw the sun's light shining in the side of his eye. He could see that the sun was shining in the east (on his left shoulder). He kept rotating until he was facing the sun and found that the sun had not moved and was south. He rotated further and saw the sun setting in the west (on his right shoulder). Last, he rotated until his was back was to the sun (north). He learned that this showed the rotation of the earth for 1 day, and he clearly understood how the sun appeared to be rising and setting, but in fact had not moved. This was something I did not get until I was much older, so it was nice to see it made perfect sense to him after doing this experiment.

One last hi-light of the week was our DITHOR project. He made a neat box for his Godly character trait, and he did a great job on it. The pictures are of his spice chart, his science experiment, and his DITHOR project:
ImageImage

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:37 pm

Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory:
We had a blast making homemade ice cream like the pioneers did! It also only used milk, vanilla, sugar, and ice cubes - super easy to do for this no-nonsense gal. :wink: It tasted great too! Riley loved hearing about the pioneers loading their cows on the Dutch ships. He wanted to play the game of loading and transporting cows from the island over and over again. His poem, The Cow, had some of his best writing and little decorative pictures to date. He also is really liking his Storytime book, The Trumpet of the Swan. When I made the fill-in-the-blank summary for him from the reading, he got them all right. His reading comprehension is taking off - hooray!!! He is also in the middle of his Nature Reader for his Emerging Reader's Set, and he's answering those questions right now too. I just want to encourage all of you with dc who don't seem to get the answers right in these areas - they DO grow into it eventually. It has really helped Riley for me to continually say that "he did a great job reading, now let's see if he was also doing a great job of thinking about the reading". He finally gets there is more to reading than just reading for pleasure. :lol:

Our Morning Bells devotion struck a chord this week, as it was talking about being faithful with what God has given us. Riley clearly had not thought about it that way before, and I could tell he was interested in the idea that he could be faithful to God now with the gifts God had already given him. His Bible verse was one of my favorites this week:
His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'

We talked about how wonderful it would be to hear Jesus say those words when we meet Him in heaven someday! I am so thankful for the conversations we are able to have about faith with HOD. He's only 6 - who would have ever thought this was possible? It brings me so much joy.

Here are some pics of the ice cream (big brother had to have some too :D ), and of his poetry copywork (the little pictures are on the other side of the paper; I should have taken a picture of that too):

I hope you had a great week too!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:46 pm

Hi Sweet Girls,

It has been busy around here and I am behind posting my HOD adventures. I only have two pictures this week. It was of the Indian Blanket the boys made last week. :D

Daddy and Seth Snuggling under his blanket :lol:

Julie, we are almost in the same place. I loved your picture :wink:
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

mansmom

Post by mansmom » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:30 pm

I love to see the pics of the guides that I will be doing some day....AWESOME ladies...you look like you have SO much fun!

Here is a link to our week:

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/mansmom/677993/
Joy

Mary '00 Preparing w/ LLATL orange & Horizons math
Alison '02 some LHFHG and a collection of other things
Nathan '04 LHFHG, RME, and Horizons math
Samuel '07 Constantly talking....

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:44 am

Happy Easter to you all.We had a short week this week with HOD I stopped school for Maunday Thursday and Good Friday-although we did a fair amount of learning about easter.
We were finishing up day s4/5 of week 25 and Started week 26.I am hopefull soon we can get our weeks and days following the regular pattern but for now we are flexible.
So we were learning about George washington the surveyor and habitats
Nathan made this house -please excuse the toys all over the floor.I have a two year old busy 'playing' whilst we do school

We were also learning about the Boston Tea party.I read the History for children and little pilgrims whilst they played in the tub with big toy boat and we pretended to throw the tea overboard.We had our own tea party later and we talked about taxes.
We have started reading Buster Bear and I usually make a small animal to match the story-here is the buster bear I made for Nathan .It helps him to listen to the story .If I find his mind has wandered I have him act out what just happened with his little toy.He sometimes re tells the story later to Stanley .

The rest of this week has been devoted to easter preparations.
Here is our hot cross bun making http://stanleysmagicgarden.blogspot.com ... -buns.html
We spent a few days putting together our Easter Garden.
Here it as after Good Friday sunset when we sealed the tomb with a stone[Nathan made these earlier from clay ]
and had added a cross to th background.

On Easter morning there will be a small folded cloth inside the tomb and the tomb stone will be rolled away.Usually we have a lot more flowers in our easter garden but sadly we couldnt do that this year.

So thats our week
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:02 am

Joy- it was lovely to see all of your children learning together.I had no idea Bison were that big.I liked Mary's time line.I love to see what we are going to be doing next year in Beyond.
Mamamary-I was wondering how you were doing.I loved the boys indian blankets.
Julie -the icecream making looks like a lot of fun and I am reassured that it is not too hard.I think that we will all be looking forward to that lesson in Beyond.Rileys's copywork was great.Wyatt's work on the spices and his box on DITHOR are reall neat.Its sounds like you have had a really tasty week with HOD
currently Using

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:15 pm

mansmom wrote:I love to see the pics of the guides that I will be doing some day....AWESOME ladies...you look like you have SO much fun!

Here is a link to our week:

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/mansmom/677993/
Your blog showed a recap of a great week! I loved what you said here...
It was a review week for our bible verses so thankfully we got to review The Fruits of the Spirit on Tuesday...as I realized I was in desperate need of ALL of these this week...it was very fitting! We continued on our reading with All-Of-A-Kind Family which everyone is enjoying very much. It's crazy to think we will be done with Beyond in just four more weeks. We had SO much fun that it never seemed like work....YEAH!!!

I can't believe we are in week 15 of Beyond already - soon I'll be posting the same as you did here as we near finishing! Time does fly when we're having fun. The picture of the squared off size of the bison (and your 3 dc making angels inside of it) was amazing. I'm looking out our window into prairie setting and am shocking to imagine those large beasts roaming around out there! :D That is wonderful news that your ds is doing well with The Reading Made Easy phonics - way to go! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:20 pm

Mary - your boys are growing up so much! Your oldest looks much older with his haircut! I loved the picture of Seth and your dh cuddling under the blanket. They did a good job of their blankets, and it's great to see your dh get into celebrating what they've learned.

Sam - Nathan looks ready to go into professional log cabin building. :wink: Neat work! I like the Buster Bear idea. I bet your ds enjoys that. Your Easter garden was beautiful. You'll have to share that idea with Dorla - she was wanting some Easter ideas I believe. Happy Easter to you as well - He is risen! He is risen INDEED!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

pollo_la

Post by pollo_la » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:00 am

Laurie:
Wife to Daniel since June 2002
Mom to: Odessa (5) using LHFHG and Emerging Readers from BLHFHG,
Sophie (3), Nadia (2), and Elliana (newborn)

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:24 pm

Laurie I love Odessa's number work. :D
currently Using

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:46 pm

pollo_la wrote:Here was our week...

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/adventure/677509/
Laurie - Your little one is doing so well with her school. That is too cute that she was worried about gluing her math snacks - our boys are the same, so we always set out extra of the snack manipulatives. Odessa did so well with her packing for Babel - now she can help you with folding laundry, right? :lol: That is always a great chore to learn to help with at our house. :D I bet she enjoyed her star/flashlight activity too. I know I've already done these activities at our house several times, but your posts are getting me fired up to do them with my next little one - too fun!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

Dustybug

Post by Dustybug » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:19 am

I'm super late this week, but here is our week from last week:
http://reachtothemoonandback.blogspot.c ... eek-7.html