Week In review 3rd April

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

spidermansmum

Week In review 3rd April

Post by spidermansmum » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:43 am

Copying and pasting here because I can am excited and cant wait to share my week and see how everyone else is doing. :D
Ok Girls,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!

[
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

spidermansmum

Re: Week In review 3rd April

Post by spidermansmum » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:03 am

Hello Im am finishing week 25 of Little Hands For His Glory.
I am so excited to share what a big break through we had this week in HOD .This week he read a whole sentance.This is such a huge improvement.spiderman [has aADHD 'APERGERS]normally reads a word,loses concentration,has to be guided back to his work,reads another word,loses his concentration,then I have to read all the words in the sentance so far,...he de codes the word,loses his concentration.....It takes a loooong time some days to get our reading done.I tried super easy -taking him back a few stages but this made his concentration much worse.He could decode the word easily and this was just his ADHD and its not something he could really help so we kept on.We changed the order of our lessons to do our Reading Lesson just after breakfast and this helped enormously because daddy was still home and could help entertain the toddler.This meant it was much,much easier for us both to do TRL.Anyhow Im delighted -it shows amazing progress .I am so thrilled I got to see it and be involved and gently ,lovingly and persist in teaching him to read.
Okay for other highlights this week...
Spiderman solving a tangram puzzle that I couldnt figure out

Pretending to be George Washington riding the Colt

Lots of blog entries this week here is a few...
http://stanleysmagicgarden.blogspot.com ... y-302.html
http://stanleysmagicgarden.blogspot.com ... y-303.html
http://stanleysmagicgarden.blogspot.com ... y-304.html
currently Using

mansmom

Post by mansmom » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:49 pm

Okay...this is totally my first time...but I'm so excited to add a link to our "blog" about our week with Beyond....YEAH...I DID IT!!!! :lol:

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/mansmom/675631/
Joy

Mary '00 Preparing w/ LLATL orange & Horizons math
Alison '02 some LHFHG and a collection of other things
Nathan '04 LHFHG, RME, and Horizons math
Samuel '07 Constantly talking....

pollo_la

Post by pollo_la » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:39 pm

spidermansmum - WOOHOO for SAM!!! What an accomplishment that he was able to focus and read an entire sentence. :D What a blessing!! You must have been beaming from ear to ear.

Joy - What a fabulous week!! The trees your children did look fantastic, and what better way to study the phases of the moon than with cookies!!!! :D

Here is a couple links to my blog from our week...
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/adventure/674652/
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/adventure/675652/
Laurie:
Wife to Daniel since June 2002
Mom to: Odessa (5) using LHFHG and Emerging Readers from BLHFHG,
Sophie (3), Nadia (2), and Elliana (newborn)

mariaw

Post by mariaw » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:26 pm

This was our first full week with Little Hearts for His Glory. I'm so excited to post!! I bought it to start next year for 1st grade, but when the box came, we were all too excited and had to scrap what we were doing and start right away.

I'm teaching a 6yo son and a 4yo son (who only sits in for what he wants and doesn't do the writing yet). We are part of a co-op 1 day a week, so even though we've been at it for 2 weeks, we just finished week 1 on Wednesday. I feel like we finally found "it" and my boys are begging to do "fun school"!! They even brought their books to me in bed early one morning before I woke up, asking to start school before breakfast. These are the boys that I haven't been able to capture their attention long enough to do anything!! The Reading Lesson has been just the thing for my 6yo, and I'm shocked at how much my 4yo already knows in terms of letter sounds (he isn't blending them together yet, but that will come!).

We've been talking about "what is history" this week, and one of my favorite moments was when they started chatting in the van about how breakfast was "in the past" and an event we were going to later was "in the future." I love it when I overhear these little conversations that tell me that they've absorbed something. And I love how they go around the house singing their verse from Hide em In Your Heart.

I'm so excited about HOD!! I'll be switching my 3rd grade daughter to Preparing next year.
dd9 - Preparing with R&S 3 and Singapore 2
ds7 - LHFHG
ds5 - LHFHG
dd1.5 - in charge of hiding all our pencils

pollo_la

Post by pollo_la » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:13 pm

mariaw - It sounds like the had a great start in LHFHG!! :D What a blessing that your kiddos are asking to do "fun school"!! We also just started LHGHG and we are just finishing up our second unit, so we're pretty much right there with you.
Laurie:
Wife to Daniel since June 2002
Mom to: Odessa (5) using LHFHG and Emerging Readers from BLHFHG,
Sophie (3), Nadia (2), and Elliana (newborn)

mansmom

Post by mansmom » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:29 pm

Laurie...I LOVED the picture of what your daughter wrote...I think that is AWESOME...I love when it all starts to come together!!!
And that is one amazing boat!!!
Joy

Mary '00 Preparing w/ LLATL orange & Horizons math
Alison '02 some LHFHG and a collection of other things
Nathan '04 LHFHG, RME, and Horizons math
Samuel '07 Constantly talking....

Dustybug

Post by Dustybug » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:00 am

I can't believe I'm 6 weeks in already! It's flown by! Here's my blog link:
http://reachtothemoonandback.blogspot.c ... eek-6.html

Sam--How wonderful that your DS read a sentence! You must be so proud! I love the picture of him on the horse.

Joy--Your children are very cute! I love the cookies! It made me hungry though. lol I'm glad that your children are having such a great time with Beyond. I love seeing what I'll be doing in the future!

Maria--How great is that they your children are so excited about school now??? My DD loves LHTH too and she asks for "school" all the time as well. I hope they continue to show so much interest and have fun doing so!

Laurie--A sturdy boat indeed! I love that little wooden set too!
Dusty
Mommy to
Gabriella (7) BLHFHG, ETC, Song School Latin
Aron (5) TMJ's Fruit for Tender Hearts, ETC, Singapore Essentials Math K
Lydia (3) Learning letters, numbers, shapes, and colors
http://www.tothemoonandbackblog.net

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:20 pm

Preparing Hearts for His Glory:
This week in CHOW we learned about Gutenberg's invention of the printing press, and how he spent 5 years printing the first Bible with movable type. For Research, Wyatt got to see the actual printing press online and learn all about it. For his history project, he made a bookmark with 3 braids and enjoyed practicing placing these braids in different places of the Bible. Wyatt loved using his braids to quickly flip here and there in his Bible. We also continue to learn in history how explorers discovered parts of the world. Wyatt loves reading Pedro's Journal for his Independent History Study, and when he orally narrates on it, he becomes Pedro himself, which makes for a very lively narration.

In Science, it connects so well to history, and "Columbus" continues to be a great read for Wyatt. He cuddles up on the couch and seems to be off in another time period, exploring with Columbus. He especially liked his science experiment about a waterspout (such as the one Columbus saw). He filled an empty plastic bottle partway with blue water (food coloring), put a spoonful of dishsoap in it, and put buttons in it as well. Then he put the cap on and swirled it around and around - it looked just like a waterspout would have looked to Columbus. The buttons were all drawn into the waterspout, similar to the way water was drawn up into the clouds like a whirlwind. Great fun! He also liked tracing the explorers' routes on the globe for geography.

Wyatt's timeline continues to grow, and for vocabulary he learned "navigators", "ingratitude", and "ambition" this week. I am so thankful the vocabulary is directly tied to the history - it has helped him become very skilled at using contextual clues to figure out words he doesn't know, and I also like that he checks them in the dictionary. When we got to dictionary skills in R & S English this week, that was a total breeze - the way he's been doing vocabulary made that super easy.

I could say more, but I'll wrap it up with Bible study comments - I cannot believe how much Wyatt is able to memorize. It has become easy for him, and this was a kid who did not have that as a strong point. I can already see that the HOD methods of teaching Scripture and just memorization in general are helping him make huge gains in this area. He has already surpassed me. I just am not able to remember Scriptures word for word as quickly as he can - it truly blesses my heart to see. I think the beautiful music CD he sings with really helps too.

Below are some pictures of the lab report of the waterspout experiment and also the notebooking about how Columbus came to be assured the world was not flat - but instead round:
ImageImage

I hope you had a great week too!
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:45 pm

Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory:
Riley was breathlessly waiting along with the Pilgrims to find out if the ship on the horizon was from England, or from France (the Pilgrim's enemy at that time). As the flag came over the horizon, it was... England! :D The ship held family and friends they hadn't seen for over a year. Riley loved this story, and he painted a flag like the one England had on their ship for his art project. We read about a snakeskin full of arrows sent to the Pilgrims by an Indian messenger, and how Governor Bradford sent the snakeskin back with gun powder in it. Riley liked the science readings about snakes, and thought it was great fun to make his camouflage snake for his science project.

Riley calls my dh every fifth day of the plans to share his Bible verse with him. It's one of the choices of how to share it - I think it's so precious he always picks to share it with his dad, and my dh loves it. :D Riley liked his math so much this week too. It was on non-standard measurements, which can be kind of confusing for little ones. The way Beyond did it made the Singapore workbook super easy though. We used a pencil, a paper clip, and a clothes pin to measure his notebook. He could easily see then why the number of end-to-end measurements with the largest item (the pencil) resulted in the smallest number of lengths. Likewise, it made sense that the smallest item (the paperclips) resulted in the most number of lengths. What a simple and effective way to teach this! He flew through his Singapore workbook and got them all right. :)

Riley has gotten very theatrical with his poetry reading. He often wants to read them several times each day. I'm so glad he's learning to enjoy poetry - something I just learned to do myself along with my dc as I've used HOD the last 7 years. I am very proud of Riley's growth in writing his spelling words neatly on the lines. He is so proud of it as well! Way to go hon'!

The pictures below show him with his camouflage snake and his spelling list:
ImageImage

We're off to another happy start to this week now - I hope you are too!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:29 am

I love reading about everyones weeks.My husband and I were trying to decide whether we should break for Easter but we have decided that the break causes our son so many difficulties we might cut back a bit and do less but that we will essentially keep going.
Laurie -Odessa's ark did indeed hold alot of animals.I was so impressed with her writing.Its wonderful when we get to see them learn something new and that they get to share that with us rather than someone else.
Joy I loved their tree pictures and it must be lovely to have them working together.I see from your signature that you have a Nathan too[My Nathan is aka spiderman-his preferred name] and I have one born in 2007 creating chaos as we learn too :D
Mariaw,I have a six year old who has been using Little hearts for a few months-we are on week 25/6 now and the change in him through using LHFHG has been amazing.He started very much like your boy-unable to sit still for a few minutes and with a deep dislike for writing .We are having some amazing results with the reading lesson too.HOD is a great fit for my son.
Dusty I love reading your blog .Gabriella is so cute/I loved her three guest to her picnic.I have an Ernie like hers from when I was little.We like starfall here too and I too, love how much my littlest one learns by tagging along his big brothers lessons.
Julie. I love reading what your boys are doing -its lovely to see what Riley is doing in beyond-I can see what we have coming up next year.Riley did great in his spellings.Im so impressed with what Wyatt is learning -I just need to figure out what CHOW stands for :lol: .Its sounds like a fab science experiment.
currently Using

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:44 am

We had a good week. Instead of half speed we went full speed this past week so that we could take the entire week off for Easter. I am beyond busy planning church events so we needed the break. Check out our blog. It was a good week but very stressful. We are happy to take a break. Not that HOD was too much...just the rest of life.

http://ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com/2 ... dbits.html

Again a sneak peek if you don't have time to go to my blog or prefer not to read all the mumbo jumbo. Here was Emma's fave activity this week. :wink:

Our study of Jericho and Rahab. Painting the mortar in the walls of Jericho.

Hanging the red rope.
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:06 am

Ladies it has been fun reading your week in review.

spidermansmum - I am so excited that spiderman was able to read a whole sentence this week! How awesome for you and also, loved the horse he was sitting on as George Washington. It looked like he had a lot of fun.

mansmom- Ok, your phases of the moon looked quite delicious. I don't know if I could have held off with just little nibbles to make the phases. I think all of my moons would have been devoured. They did a great job on their trees. Too fun!

Laurie- Odessa's flowrs smel page was too precious. There is just something so heart-tugging when our kids do something spontaneous like that. Ok, is your husband an engineer? My goodness, that boat would have held a real person I am convinced. ha. It looks like you had a great time this week.

mariaw- Nice to know your first week went well. Isn't it great when they can make real life connections to what they are learning...like about past and present and future. Too cute that they wanted to crawl in bed with you to be read to.

Dusty- Gabby did a great job setting her place settings for the picnic. We love starfall too. And she did a good job on Abraham's tent art activity.

Julie- The waterspout project sounds just awesome. I am sure that really cemented the lesson about Columbus in Wyatt's mind. I am thrilled to see boys who will one day be young men raised in godly homes with scripture on their hearts....it makes me so hopeful for my daughter to one day find a good godly man. (not that I am insinuating anything... HA!!! :shock: :lol: :mrgreen: :oops: ) But you know what I mean... Good job. And Rile's handwriting is great! I remember when you posted tips about the highlighter to help him with his handwriting....it has payed off. i love that he chooses dad to say his memory verse to. Precious memories for both Riley and your husband.
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site