Week in Review 3-20

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

Jessi

Week in Review 3-20

Post by Jessi » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:44 pm

Ok Girls,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

Jessi

Re: Week in Review 3-20

Post by Jessi » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:48 pm

Little Hearts for His Glory

We had a great week. I can't even begin to tell you how successful this is in our home. I can even say that my 2.5 year old is retaining Thornton Burgess books!!!! He was telling me about the last chapter we read in Reddy Fox tonight getting ready for bed...and we read it yesterday at lunch!!!! Emma is so excited to learn. Check out our blog. I am putting up two posts!

http://ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com/2 ... louds.html

http://ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com/2 ... logan.html

Have a great weekend!!
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:19 am

Hi JessiI like your blog.Your littlest one sounds like such a cutie,remembering reddy fox.I love your dd's cloud picture
NOTHING related to HOD but this was the most memorable day of our week.We went to the local farm.Here you can see that my man-stanley decided to throw himself into the biggest pile of mud.We took his coat of and walked him round the farm till the top two inches of mud were dry enough to fall off.We saw lambing though and it was amazing
and spiderman making friends with a boar

Okay back to this weeks Little Hands For His Glory week 22/23
We are reading Chatterer the red squirrel-.In chapter 13.Chatterer was in trouble and in a cage[prison] for stealing.Shortly after the boys were in the back yard enjoying the spring sunshine when I had to remind spiderman a few times not to be rough with his brother.After a few verbal warning I implemented the 'you hit-you sit'.Whilst sitting Spiderman reflected that he was like chatterer the red squirrel -he was paying the price for his crime.I smiled,lesson learnt we went on with our day.

Here is our science experiment on absorbancy following the history story of Walter Raliegh laying his cloak down for Queen Eliazabth.We tried several different materials for absorbancy and then placed the non absorbant into group 1 and the absorbant into group 2.We used lego bricks,coin,sponge,cotton ball,tissue,kitchen paper,plastic wrap,plastic lid,tin foil and a wooden pencil.

Here is a link to my blog-I write alot so here is yesterdays blog
http://stanleysmagicgarden.blogspot.com ... y-292.html

Spiderman has completed his first ever copywork.He wrote a verse from A reason for handwriting A.He is really improving with his handwriting.We are on lesson 13 with the reading lesson and he is good at spotting full stops witha big intake of breath..
Have a good weekend
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

pollo_la

Post by pollo_la » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:39 am

Jessi - I LOVE everything you did with clouds!! That is so cool that you were able to show your dd with a cotton ball that the cloud gets heavy with water and then it rains. :D It looks like you had a great week. It is neat to see everything you are doing in LHFHG. You are just a little ways ahead of where I'm at with my dd, so it's like getting a sneak peak of what's to come for us!

spidermansmum - How wonderful that you were able to visit a local farm!! :D
Laurie:
Wife to Daniel since June 2002
Mom to: Odessa (5) using LHFHG and Emerging Readers from BLHFHG,
Sophie (3), Nadia (2), and Elliana (newborn)

Jen

Post by Jen » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:48 am

Okay, I can't figure something out...I am trying to upload pictures here and it keeps saying the file type is invalid. I checked the FAQ and didn't see anything, and the info at the bottom of the page says that attachments are allowed. I also lowerd the dpi in case the file was too large, and it is just a jpeg file. Can anyone direct me here? Thanks!

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:13 am

We finished up LHTH unit 12 this week. We are loving it! We are taking a break for about 2 weeks while we move, but then when we start back we're going to be doing 4-5 days a week. Right now we've only been doing about 2 days a week, but Samuel asks for it so much I promised him that when we move we'll do it more often. Anyway, here's the link to my blog of our week:

http://cherish-each-moment.blogspot.com ... it-12.html
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:39 am

Jen.I will explain how I do it.Im technically challenged -so I will just type what I do
You need to have your pictures loaded on the net somewhere else,like shutterfly or photobucket or a blog.
Then you right click on the picture you want to shar e with us and select properties,then double click the URL and copy and paste it in your message to us.Then click on the Img button and the URl should be between the
I hope that made some sense and helped
currently Using

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:27 am

During history this week we focused on Life in Colonial Philadelphia and Boston. We learned about Deacon Drowne, a coppersmith in colonial Boston, that made a large grasshopper out of copper. Peter Faneuil admired it and when he gave the city of Boston a new public hall he placed the large grasshopper on top of the tower as a wethervane.

Here you see Samuels depiction of Faneuil Hall. Can you see the grasshopper on top of the tower? On the back of the building he labeled what he believes is on each floor (market, offices, tower, weathervane). We hope to visit Faneuil Hall one day soon.

As part of science Samuel made a grasshopper out of edible "playdough" (soy butter, oats, powdered milk and honey), creating the head, thorax and abdomen. Plus he googled different bug images (water bug, cicada, grasshopper and dragonfly) to add to his science notebook.
Can you believe the instructions said he could eat each part of the grasshopper? He loved eating the head!
Unit 22 of BEYOND is now complete.
Dorla

P.S. Sam.. thanks for posting your very easy instructions for posting pictures! I finally was able to do it!!! :mrgreen:

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:40 am

Preparing Hearts for His Glory:
This week we read about William the Conqueror, researched and made a beautiful relic, read about gothic churches, added to our timeline (my it is growing! :D ), and so many other great things! My ds is really loving Door in the Wall too - a great "real book" that makes the history time period come to life. My ds wrote a great narration about the building of churches - Greek/Rome type building compared to Gothic-style cathedrals. It has been wonderful to see his narration skills improving! Wyatt continues to love learning about the Coral Reef in science, and our lab report and experiment about how Coral polyps multiply was one of his favorites. He recited all of Psalm 8:1-8 for my dh at the supper table, and my dh was blown away! It was really long, and he did it really well. :D The CD we sing along with really is helping him commit large portions to memory. He continues to do great with his Singapore math (I don't even teach the textbook part a lot of the time - he just reads it and gets it). He also is loving his RLS Poetry, and I am enjoying his poems he writes. I am planning on making a poetry book for him, spiral bound, when he gets done, as a special keepsake. It has been another great week here with HOD! Oh, I did have to include a picture of my toddler and how he adds to the busyness of our day :lol: - he's such a little ball of fire. His new thing is to brush everyone's hair (and pretend to put gel in it like his dad :lol: ). Too funny! :) The other pictures are of his history notebooking and his poem he wrote.
ImageImage

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:56 am

Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory:
Here's our favorites from this week!
ImageImageImage

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Jen

Post by Jen » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:32 am

My son is in week 26 of BHFHG and we are studying the Civil War. We live near the Stones River Battlefield, so we took a field trip to learn more about the war. I think the highlight was discovering how cotten was grown!

My daughter is in week 26 of LHFHG. Her favorite activity this week was acting out the soldiers crossing the icy Delaware River.

Thanks for telling me how to attach pictures...now, how do I make them smaller? I changed the dimensions before I attached them, but I don't think they are any smaller. Sorry they are so huge!

I also caught her writing her alphabet on the storm door this morning. :D

pollo_la

Post by pollo_la » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:05 pm

Stephanie - Looks like you had a fun week. Samuel's painted letter "J" looks terrific.

Dorla - I LOVE the grasshopper!!! That must have been so much fun. :D

Julie - That must be so exciting to hear your son reciting scripture so well! :D Also, great pics from LHFHG.

Jen - Great pics!! :D I don't mind them big at all. What a fun field trip. I love the pic of the soldiers crossing the icy Delaware river. That definitely looks like fun.

Here are some links from my blog this week.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/adventure/668780/
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/adventure/669940/
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/adventure/670717/
Laurie:

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:28 pm

Jen -the pics are great.I liked the one of the soldiers crossing the icy Dealware.I can look forward to that in a couple of weeks
Dorla-The grasshopper was amazing and I love the last picture
Julie I like the seasons pic.Im going through seasosn in rhymes in motion this week .We have a budding hairdresser too.I love howm much my toddler gets to join in with our schiool day but I wish I could keep him quiet fro the reading lesson
Stephanie.Your blog is my toddlers favoutite-he loved the music.I loved how happy sammuel looked painting J
Pollo La,AWW yor sleeping baby was so cute.I loved the HWT explanation too
currently Using

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:23 pm

Spiderman'smum- I am glad you were able to go to a farm to see animals in real life! i also think it is great how your son learned a valuable lesson and tied it into Chatterer. It is great that he was able to apply real life to his readings.

Stephanie- Samuel's face is just too cute. He has the best smile. I particularly love the look on his face in the picture where he is holding the cup aloft! You are making so many wonderful memories with him. Prayers for a great move! I am excited for you. You absolutely must take pictures once you are settled in so we can see how you do school in the new place.

Dorla- I must tell you that I have a death fear of something called a spider cricket. If you don't know what it is, google it. Our house was invaded by these creepy things one year but we haven't seen them since. I literally screamed the first time I saw it. Samuel might want to add it to his science notebook....it is creepy! All that to say, when I saw your edible grasshopper (though he did a GREAT job with it) gave me the heebie jeebies! HA!! :shock: I love the look on his face as he is about to devour the grasshopper. Too funny!

Julie- Wyatt looks like he is having a lot of fun learning about the coral reef and cathedrals. I loved that he was able to recite the entire psalms passage to his dad. That is just AWESOME! And your littl guy brushing Wyatt's hair is a riot. Wyatt just rolls with it- a smile on his face. Good kid. Riley's seasons poster was wonderful! Very colorful. Good attention to detail.

Jen- How cool that you live near Stones River Battlefield. Hands on learning at it's finest!I like her "soliders" crossing the delaware. Too fun!!

pollo_la- I used HWT with Emma for PreK but I went with A Reason for Handwriting for K. I might go back though for cursive as my daughter is a lefty and I have heard that HWT cursive is easier for lefties to use. She does a great job with her handwriting. I love the pic of Odessa sitting with her Reddy Fox book. She is so intent on it!!! We love that book too.....but we are almost done with it. :( We are only going half speed right now but plan to pick up full speed in the fall if not sooner. :-)
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,

pollo_la

Post by pollo_la » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:49 pm

Jessi wrote: pollo_la- I used HWT with Emma for PreK but I went with A Reason for Handwriting for K. I might go back though for cursive as my daughter is a lefty and I have heard that HWT cursive is easier for lefties to use. She does a great job with her handwriting.
Jessi, I chose HWT for Odessa because she is a lefty!! I have heard that for lefties, HWT is suppose to be great! How do you like A Reason for Handwriting? I might use that for my right handed children. Although, once I am use to HWT it might be easier just to stick with what I know!
Laurie: