Week In Review 3-5-09

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

MamaMary

Week In Review 3-5-09

Post by MamaMary » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:54 pm

We had a GREAT week! I am going to link you to my blog. We learned how to add video and actually put one of our experiments on there and the boys sharing the information they learned. They were so cute :D

For full pictures AND VIDEO ( :lol: :wink: ) you can check out the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/664454/

Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Kathleen

Re: Week In Review 3-5-09

Post by Kathleen » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:48 pm

Mary :D

I LOVE your videos!! :D Now that's really a sneak peek at your home! :wink: Your boys are so sweet, and I have to say good job mom! You're a great teacher!

(Now I must admit, that I really noticed you were wearing make-up and jewlery. My kids would have been hounding me about where we were going. :lol: You see, I'm usually in "comfy clothes" for school time and don't shower til after I exercise which may be before school if it's warm enough, or may be at lunch time. :roll: Which totally explains why I'm not in many of the school pictures with my kids...I'd ruin them!)

I need to go to bed so we can finish out our week here. :wink: I'll be checking in this weekend sometime.
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:29 am

Mama Mary I loved the videos.You have some wonderful boys.
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:45 am

Kathleen, I have MANY days that I don't put full make up on. If I am leaving my house I do, and I always put lipstick and earrings on :lol: It's kind of a running joke around here. My Grandma is almost 88 years old and she does too. Honestly, I am SO fair that if I don't wear make up people think I'm sick :oops:

Thank you girls for your words of encouragement. We had a GREAT time. Not so sure, I like being filmed, but I thought that would look bad if I filmed them and then didn't let them film me :roll: :lol: :wink:
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:35 am

Well Its my time to review
Sadly we never found my camera.I called the place that we had been visiting-we had been on a fossil hunt.Sadly no one had handed in a camera there . :(
So we will be picture less for a while longer.We are gradually building our routine back up.We still only completed 2 days this week-we had a further 2 hospital appointments this week but hopefully we are done for a while.And one day we were blessed with snow-a rare occurance here in the UK so we did a fair bit of unschooling with experiments with snow
We were working our way through week 20 of Little Hands For His Glory and we had the joy of learning about the early native americans and about Colombus .I checked out some books from the library on Pocohontas and Colombus .The first voyage of Christopher Colombus by Barry Smith was a good addition to the curriculum as it had a fold out map at the back of the book .We are continuing with Singapore 1 part two and that is going well with Ds suprising me with his addition and subtraction up to twenty,He is getting good at working with numbers in his head.His writing continues to be his biggest struggle but that too is improving.His reading is coming along ,we halted where we were with The reasing lesson,I just felt he needed to polish the skills he already had -we are reading the oxford reading tree Level 5 books-.
We started Chaterer the Red Squirrel and I gave him a little knitted red squirrel finger puppet.That helped him .I gave him the chance to act out what we had just read .
Next we we will continue to build our routine back up to full speed HOD
currently Using

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:11 pm

Sam,

I am SO sorry that your camera was not returned. I pray you are able to get another very soon. You do a great job explaining through written word though and I loved your week in review. Don't worry that your not back on track yet. It's ok, the Lord will allow it in "HIS" perfect timing. You are doing a great job :D

Dustybug

Post by Dustybug » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:22 am

Makeup? What's that? lol. I pretty much only put it on when we go to church on Sundays. lol. I do try to get up and dressed before we do school time, but sometimes, depending on how busy, or ahem, lazy, I am in the morning that could mean first thing or noon.

Here's our week at my blog:
http://reachtothemoonandback.blogspot.c ... eek-2.html

We had so much fun!
Dusty
Mommy to
Gabriella (7) BLHFHG, ETC, Song School Latin
Aron (5) TMJ's Fruit for Tender Hearts, ETC, Singapore Essentials Math K
Lydia (3) Learning letters, numbers, shapes, and colors
http://www.tothemoonandbackblog.net

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:33 am

Dusty, you are doing a BEAUTIFUL job! I love seeing your pictures. I cannot believe how much snow you guys had?! That is crazy! Thank you for sharing your week. :D

gracelikerain

Post by gracelikerain » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:52 pm

Hello!
I am looking forward to catching up on everyone's week. :D
Dusty, I enjoyed your blog pics! Isn't is fun to share our days schooling. I love doing this!

Sam, I am so sorry you lost your camera! I pray you will be able to replace it ASAP!!

Mary, I will check out your blog soon....can't wait! Love the pic of your boys!

We had a wonderful week in PHFHG. We finished unit 21. we had more thoughtful talks about Jesus & suffering. We were in Acts & Revelations. My 8dd had a hard time with why God allows so much pain & suffering. Don't we all?? My 11dd opened up to me about her fears. Awhile ago an 11 year old girl we were faithfully praying for past away from cancer. My 11dd never expresessed her emotions about it. Until now. the floodgates opened.....I hope the healing can come now. I know she will always be sensitive, all my dc are...I am too. I am so happy to be able to have these heart to heart talks that center around Christ. The learning is so memorable & relavent to our day to day lives. Granhrdpa's Box is now done & ended beautifully with so much hope! It was nice to be able to give the gift of hope through Christ to my dc. We really love HOD...thanks so much Carrie.

Here are their Roman mosaic crosses. they really enjoyed this craft & my ds4 made one too & did a great job!
8dd is the red one,11dd is the blue one & 4ds is the green one!
11dd is blue & 8dd is red...they have colorful clouds! :D
ds4 is green
Georgette~
Isaiah 54:13
Blessed with 5 awesome gifts from God!
Trail Blazing 4 HIM!
dd-12-CTC
dd-9-Preparing
ds-6-LHFHG
dd-3-tagging along & keeping life real fun!
ds-5 months

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:57 pm

Oh Georgette,

What a beautiful testimony to the Lord your share was. You do such a phenomenal job as a Mama. I love the heart to heart talks you have with your little ones. God has given you the perfect ministry and I'm so glad your using HOD. (((Big Squishy Mary Hugs)))

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:06 pm

I know that I'm totally late here...but I so want to share that I'm going to anyway (even though it's the middle of the next week... :roll: )

We had a great week again with Bigger and LHTH.

In Bigger, Grant and I were reading about Rough-n-Ready Andrew Jackson. Grant loved the stories of his bravery. I honestly didn't know much about the War of 1812 :? , so I'm learning, too! :D Here Grant is making his hat like Andrew Jackson. He thought this was great fun (except when he stapled his finger when he was messing around :roll: ). It was a little small for him, but Alli and Garret got plenty of use out of it. :wink:
ImageImage

This week we had some great discussions on being decisive in our lives for God. It's so encouraging to see your child really "get it" spiritually. Carrie, thanks for prompting these discussions. I know some of you moms that are further down the motherhood road than me already know this, but I'm enjoying seeing Grant's strengths and weaknesses. I would say that decisiveness is one of his strengths, but most likely isn't one of his sister's and brother's. What a wonderful privilege to raise these uique individuals for the Lord!

We're also enjoying reading Pioneer Sampler. I really like this book. Grant was so excited to make his Johnnycake muffins! We put it off on the day we were suppossed to do it because I didn't have corn meal (and neither did Grandma down the road). No big deal, we switched the science lessons and did a different reading that day. Then, I picked up corn meal when I was in town...only to run out of eggs the next day during breakfast because everyone wanted one (which never happens!). :roll: Thankfully our neighbor's chickens were doing their job and they came through for us. :wink: Grant loves learning to cook...and is so proud that he has well surpassed his dad's abilities! :lol:
ImageImageImage

In LHTH, we finished Letter O and started Letter P. Here are our :D Tape Day :D pictures...
ImageImageImage
Notice in the last picture, they're saying "p-p-p". :wink:

We had fun gluing "O's" on our O.

Here we're doing an activity finding things to fit inside their squares...and then we played for a while hopping inside and outside the square. :D
ImageImageImage

Allison has been really enjoying the days in the plans where she gets to follow my directions. (This is one of the things that's too hard for Garret yet.) I think it's great practice of a skill that she'll need as we move on to LHFHG next year. Here she's drawing a path down the middle of the paper that turns to the right and left and ends at a blue wavy line (the ocean) to show Jonah running away from Ninevah and God's directions.

Here we're having fun building Ninevah. :D

Actually, Garret thought it was way more funn to knock Ninevah down :roll:
(But he agreed to wait until we did our activity...then we all smashed it!)

Here they're spinning away from Ninevah, and then crawling away from Ninevah. (These were the only 2 movements slow enough for me to capture before they were on top of me. :wink: )
ImageImage

We've already had lots of fun this week, too. I'll be back this weekend to share more!
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:07 am

Dusty I loved reading your blog-Your little one is so cute and its been great in helping me decide to do LHTH with my youngest next year.
Georgette.The mosiac s were delightful and I m glad that the lessons were helpful in dealing with your dc's grief.
Kathleen I love your school room and I miss my old neighbour who had chickens-we have since moved .
For those of you who prayed about my lack of camera.THANKYOU.I have been blessed from an unexpected source and have been given a camera.Soooo next weeks update will include pictures.D
currently Using

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:18 am

cant wait for next week's week in review
currently Using