Week-in Review 2-20-09

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

Jessi

Week-in Review 2-20-09

Post by Jessi » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:38 pm

Ok Girls,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!

Here is our week in review. We didn't post last week but we did have a lot of fun.

I did much better at capturing our week this time. :-)

Enjoy!! I know we sure did. LHFHG is just what we needed. I love the bonding I am getting with Emma and even Logan tags along for some of it. It is so simple for this busy day care providing mama to use! Thank you Carrie!!!

http://ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com/2 ... art-2.html

I was too tickled by this next post, not to share with my HODies!!! :D

http://ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com/2 ... oment.html

Can't wait to read all about your weeks.
Last edited by Jessi on Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

Jessi

Re: Week-in Review 2-20-09

Post by Jessi » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:43 pm

bump back to the top
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,

netpea

Post by netpea » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:13 pm

Well, we haven't accomplished much this week. We played with friends who had the day off school on Monday, I had a root canal on Tuesday, went to a financial seminar on Wednesday, went to bible study and swim lessons today. Tomorrow we are having a real school day. :D Some weeks are just like that, eh? I love how HOD meets us where we are, we just pick up the lessons right where we left off. :D

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:44 am

Jessi -
I am all teared up from listening to the song that played on your blog. What a beautiful song! I find visiting the blogs of HOD ladies to be a very uplifting experience. The pics of Emma show she is doing so well with LHFHG! I can see why your favorite pic was of her with your dh - that tugs at our heart, doesn't it? The daddies often don't have time to be so involved, but when they are, well we're like Mary - we treasure it in our hearts. Oh, and for the soap, it worked for us when we used a small ziplock bag and pushed the air out of it flat on top of a white paper plate. Our dishsoap was orange, so the orange on white helped it show up better. Not sure if that helps, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

LeeAnn - what a busy week! I hope you are recovering from your root canal. OUCH! I pray you have a less busy week next week and that you can settle back into your normal.

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:27 pm

We are loving school! We have just started week 21 in Beyond, but I just wanted to share our copywork for week 20.
http://escuelitaaparicio.blogspot.com/2 ... ywork.html
Dorla

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:55 pm

Lee Ann- I hope you are feeling better after a root canal....blech. :| Isn't it funny how life always hits you with multiple things at one time. What a busy week you've had. I hope all has calmed down for you.

Julie- Thank you for the paper plate idea...I might have to try that as we have red dish soap on a brown table, so maybe we just aren't seeing it as clearly. I also thought, maybe I'll just spray whipped cream all over a cookie sheet and let her practice that way- and also eat the by-product! :-) Ok, mom will eat the by-product over her shoulder.... :mrgreen: Isn't that song just beautiful? I am in charge of our creative arts group at my church and I found that on a sermonspice video as background music....I just had to find who did it!!!! The first time I heard it, I got misty on the third verse.

Dorla- Your son is quite the artist. Such attention to detail!!!! He should be quite happy with how it turned out. :D
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:04 pm

Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory:
Riley has settled into a great rhythm with Beyond now. He has grown into the copywork - he can copy the whole poem now! :D And, he is writing on wide-lined notebook paper. He also has grown into the discussion questions. He had to learn the skill of listening to me read with the intent of being able to answer questions about what was read. He finally does that now, and he's answering about 3/4 of the questions right. He also had to learn the skill of thinking about what he was reading out loud in the Emerging Reader's Set, with the intent of being able to answer questions about what he read. He usually does well with that now - though I have him practice it independently first, and then read it to me, so he's read it twice. It seems like this has improved his comprehension so much. In math, he learned to group 10 items and count up as a mental trick for making adding easier. We finished "A Lion to Guard Us" for our read-aloud, and it happened to match our history readings exactly! We continue to travel with the Pilgrims, and that brings me to his favorite activity this week. In history, we read about the Pilgrims building a strong wall around Jamestown to protect it. In Bible, we read about Nehemiah rebuilding the wall around Jerusalem (GREAT connections). In both of these situations they had to build often while under attack. Here is a pic of Riley rebuilding the Jerusalem wall while under attack, by ME! :lol: I had to pound the floor with my fist 10 times, and then attack a bit of his wall, removing some pieces. He sounded the alarm by blowing his trumpet, and then I stopped attacking and ran away, while he rebuilt the wall - until the next time I attacked. he eventually finished, but will remember how difficult it would be to build a wall while under attack. He begged to do it again and again! :D

Preparing Hearts for His Glory:
We are enjoying seeing Wyatt's timeline grow. It really helps Wyatt see the span of history and in what order important events happened. I like that HE is making the cards because they show his own personal flair. We are reading about Rome Emperors and Christianity right now. Nero persecuting the Christians was handled well, and I was glad for the reminder in the HOD plans to omit one of the paragraphs in CHOW that was violent. I am thankful for these notes, since I am reading aloud and not reading ahead. The history project this week was making a golden laurel. Since we'd just read about the triumphs Roman emperors had, it was a great link to that. I also liked how HOD brought it back to God, reminding us Jesus is our only one true King, Lord, and Savior. Our Storytime read-aloud, The Fountain of Life, ended with this theme as well. What a great book that was to read aloud! Even with the difficult vocabulary, my ds loved it, and has now swept it up to his room to read again in his free time. Our Bible memory verse and the music we sing of it reminded us Jesus is King as well - How Excellent Is Thy Name"! I've noticed that Wyatt's singing this with me at home has made him comfortable - and even very joyful - about singing out loud in church, which gives me a little tug at my heart each Sunday morning. We also read about Jesus' prophecy of the fall of Jerusalem, and we traced the path from Rome to Jerusalem on the globe, as well as finding Mt. Vesuvius, since we read about Pompeii being buried in CHOW. We learned various lines of latitude and longitude too. We learned these new vocabulary words: stoic, murmur, dissipated, philosopher, and superstition. I enjoy the way vocabulary is learned contextually in PHFHG - it seems to stick well with Wyatt. O.k. - I could go on and on, because so far I've only hit on some of the things we did for the left side of the plans, but this is getting too long, so it's time for the picture! Here is Wyatt's laurel wreath - which, btw, he now often wears around the house off and on. Our toddler constantly wants to wear the "hat" too. :lol:

How was your week?
In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:04 pm

Julie- Loved your review this week! I am sure Riley LOVED having mommy attack his wall. I think my kids sometimes don't get enough of me playing with them on their level. He'll remember special things like that for a long time. And Wyatt's laurel wreath is very nice. Your eldest has a flair for art, if I do say so myself.
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,

netpea

Post by netpea » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:21 am

Thanks ladies. I am feeling better and looking forward to next week!

gracelikerain

Post by gracelikerain » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:53 pm

Hi Ladies!

I missed everyone this week. We went away to West Virginia from Sunday to Friday. We had a very restful yet fun vacation. My Aunt has a house there that I have been going to since I was 8! We saw lots of deer & went to visit Jefferson's Rock. I might post some pics over on the main board.

Glad to be back!! I'll be posting at the end of the week!
Georgette~
Isaiah 54:13
Blessed with 5 awesome gifts from God!
Trail Blazing 4 HIM!
dd-12-CTC
dd-9-Preparing
ds-6-LHFHG
dd-3-tagging along & keeping life real fun!
ds-5 months

funkmomma71

Post by funkmomma71 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:00 am

I'm sorry that this is so late but between moving and the increased hours at work I have been just exhausted. I loved reading about everyone else's week.

We worked through 4 days of Unit 22 of LHFHG and on Monday my dd made a confession of faith! The devotional and verse for the week (Acts 16:31) helped her put all the pieces together and she was in tears over her need for Christ. When she answered the questions about how we go to heaven she told all about our sinfulness and that faith in Christ was the only way to heaven, she then said that she hadn't made Christ her Savior because she wasn't ready to. I then asked her if she believed that she was a sinner and that she needed Christ as her Savior and Lord and she said "yes", so I told her that she was indeed ready to make make a confession of that faith and there was no reason to wait. By then she was in tears, she got in my lap and we prayed together and I lead her through a sinners prayer. :D She then asked what happened if she sinned again so I told her that God had already forgiven ALL her sins even the ones that hadn't happened yet. Praise God for His faithfulness.

We finished Unit 56 in RME, and she really grasps new concepts quickly. We have been reading Dr. Seuss books before I go to work at night and she struggles in some places but overall she is doing great!

She loves doing Math, and sometimes tries to rush through Phonics so that we can get to it. The activities in guide are just awesome! She really seems to "get it" and there isn't any struggle to get her to her work in this subject.

In handwriting, she is having trouble with "M" and "N", so we will spend another week with these two letter. I could already see an improvement today, so we should be able to move on next week.

She absolutely loved the Science and other activities this week, especially learnign about our digestive system, she regaled us with all details at dinner. :P

And the rhyme was a BIG hit, it was very active and fun, she did it several times each day.

Nancy
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017