Week in Review 2-12-09

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

gratefulmama

Week in Review 2-12-09

Post by gratefulmama » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:28 pm

Ok Girls,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Wife to my hero for 17 yrs
Blessed to be a mom through the beautiful gift of adoption 4x!
DS (10/03) CTC, DITHOR
DS (5/05) CTC, DITHOR
DD (5/08) LHFHG
DD (02/11)

gratefulmama

Re: Week in Review 2-12-09

Post by gratefulmama » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:53 pm

Hello ladies!
We've been homeschooling for 6 weeks now, and are loving all of it. :wink:
I just had to share about a great moment we had this week. :D I had just finished lesson 4 in The Reading Lesson with ds5. We reviewed the key words at the end of the lesson, and then he hopped down from his chair and SPONTANEOUSLY FORMED HIS FIRST SENTENCE :o with the "sticky note flash words" that I had on the pantry door! (I have the key words from lessons 1-4 up there but hadn't really done anything with them yet since I'm trying to not push him) So...he was all excited and formed the sentence: Come on in dog. and then the sentence: Cat, get this rat. It was so great to see his face light up as things were clicking for him with the words. :D :D Joy!
Blessings-
Victoria
Wife to my hero for 17 yrs
Blessed to be a mom through the beautiful gift of adoption 4x!
DS (10/03) CTC, DITHOR
DS (5/05) CTC, DITHOR
DD (5/08) LHFHG
DD (02/11)

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:10 am

Victoria that is wonderful news.
We have been following week 19 of Little Hearts For His Glory .It was well timed because we were learning about St Valentine and Augustine ..
We have been slowly easing back into our routine after our vacation.
Heres some pictures of our week
the finished works of art

Maths work is comingalong in leaps and bounds
And our model of how the good news spread
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:43 pm

Beyond LIttle Hearts for His Glory:
We've been reading about the PIlgrims and their trek across the ocean to America. Reading about the struggles has really made these people heroic to us - and it has shown the lengths they went to be able to praise God the way they wanted to! Our favorite activity this week was showing how the winds blew the Mayflower in a different direction - a colder direction that had them land in Boston. The marble on the table is the Mayflower, and the "x" on the masking tape line is Virginia - where they hoped to land. First, Riley had to try to blow the Mayflower to land on the "x" himself. It shot off the end of the table! :lol: Then, we blew it together (and you see at this point, EVERYONE felt the need to blow, even the 2 year old - though I think he may have just spit on the marble - ocean currents, right? :wink: ). We all got the Mayflower to settle on the "x", but it stuck in Riley's mind how the Pilgrims had to depend on the wind to move their boat instead of a motor. (And ultimately, they depended wholly on God!)
The second favorite activity was making the starfish, which symbolized all of the ocean life the Pilgrims discovered on the beach as they landed. Great fun! I can see I should have take a picture of the finished product - sorry! :wink:
Image\

Preparing Hearts for His Glory:
We've LOVED reading Grandpa's Box and are both very sad it has come to an end! :cry: We also had to say "goodbye" to Fountain of Life - another amazing book that had us on the edge of our seats - waiting for Jesus - and has left us waiting for Him yet again! What an amazing way this is to learn about history. I cannot imagine doing it any other way. My ds LOVES LOVES LOVES the books we are reading, as well as the books he is reading independently. This was one of his favorite activities this week. After researching mosaics, he made one of his own:

Okay - and here is the real testimony - we have had dc sick with the stomach flu around here! I MADE my ds take off part of the day in Beyond - but he could hardly take it. He wanted to do it so badly! He did it half-sick the rest of the week. My other ds didn't feel well either - though not full-blown flu. He refused to take off any school! And, even my ds who is 2 - well, he got himself off of the couch to blow the Mayflower (as well as many other things). I guess HOD is just too much fun! :D Hope your week went well!

In Christ, :D
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:54 pm

gratefulmomma,

I am so glad that you are loving LFHGH. We are thoroughly enjoying it ourselves this year too! :D I agree there is nothing more joyful than when kiddos take off as readers! I'm celebrating with you and your little guy! 8)

spidermansmum,

Don't you just love it when the Lord works it out for your lesson topic to match the time of year! Your little sweeties valentines were precious. I love the way the gospel was spread on their road too! Your valentine frames for your photos were darling. You're so creative! :D

my3sons,

We must be at a very similar spot in Preparing Hearts, as my little Shaw was also making a mosaic this week. He started out pretty sloppy and then began again to make a beautiful mosaic. Wyatt's turned out beautiful too. I'm looking forward to starting Beyond near the end of this school year with Greyson. I loved the Mayflower activity, spit and all! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:19 pm

We finished up Little Hands Unit 10 this week about Joshua taking over as leader of the Israelites. This was such a fun week and Samuel and I both loved it. I just got our pictures posted to my blog here http://cherish-each-moment.blogspot.com ... it-10.html
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:37 pm

Stephanie,

I really loved the peek I got at your blog. Samuel is so precious and has the sweetest smile! :D He did such a neat job of cutting out his ten men. I enjoyed his walls of Jericho and his personal touch with the Lego man. :wink:

Thanks for sharing how much fun you're having. It was a joy to read about and to see your little guy doing Little Hands to Heaven. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:42 pm

Victoria- I love the lightbulb moments in reading too! You have such a smart little guy.

Sam- I really liked the hearts!!! I could never get tired of seeing homemade valentines!!! So glad it coincided with your lesson.

Julie- The marble activity looks like too much fun. Now if your post wasn't a great plug for ease and fun of HOD I don't know what is...poor guys had the flu. Hope all are well in your house. Oh and Wyatt's mosaic is beautiful!

Stephanie- Ok, the lego men just did something for me!!! I started giggling as soon as I saw them. Your son is very clever.
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:18 am

Victoria - Your son can READ!!! Isn't that amazing? I remember a sense of relief and joy flooding over me as each of our sons began to read. It is worth celebrating! :D

Sam - There are many times that things just "connect" for whatever reason doing HOD; like for you, it was Valentine's Day, and you happened to be studying St. Augustine at the time. I enjoy that "connectivity" in HOD. Your sons were precious doing their Valentines!

Stephanie - Your son was so happy and diligent working on his letters and other things. I was smiling the whole time I looked at your blog. He is as cute as a button!

Jessi - Thanks! You are such an encouragement on this board - to me, as well as to others. :)

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie