Week in Review 2-6-09

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

Jessi

Week in Review 2-6-09

Post by Jessi » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:53 pm

We are doing LHFHG half speed four days a week right now and enjoying it. We have been going for one month now and we are almost done with Unit 2. I have a blog and pictures from this week. Emma loves her Bible time and history. History for Little Pilgrims has been such an easy introduction to history for her. And she just devours the pictures in her children's Bible. This week we read about Adam and Eve having to leave the garden of Eden and Cain killing his brother. The pace has been perfect without overwhelming her as she gets easily overwhelmed. She enjoys reading about Reddy Fox but I can tell that a lot of the time she tunes out. This will take some getting used to for her. She loves chapter books but she likes the ones that have pictures every couple of pages. This is new and good for her. But I do have to prompt her a lot on comprehension of what was read.

Enjoy my blog. http://ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com/2 ... art-1.html

Oh and if you look closely at the pictures of her doing math with goldfish crackers you'll notice that she had to have all the same colors grouped in each circle. My daughter is a little bit OCD I believe. Is anyone else's child that way? She has to have things lined up or grouped by similarities ALL the time. But I get a kick out of it because that is SO not how I operate. I fly by the seat of my pants a lot. Order bothers me. HA! God has a great sense of humor.

We are loving LHFHG and I must say my favorite part of the day is snuggling up with my daughter on the couch to read with her. Even if she doesn't catch all of what we are reading about that day, she is beside me sharing in the moment of togetherness. :-)
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

my3sons

Re: Week in Review 2-6-09

Post by my3sons » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:42 pm

(You can click on the pics below to make them bigger if you want. :D )
Little Hearts for His Glory:
We read about the Pilgrims on the Mayflower this week. One of my ds's favorite activities was making the Mayflower and loading 180 casks (barrels) into it. First, he made the Mayflower, then he cut a slit in the boat and taped an open ziplock bag to the back of the slit, and then he counted 180 Cheerios and loaded them through the slit into the bag. What fun!
Another favorite is the Timeline. He is enjoying watching it grow, and it's a super visual review of what we've chronologically studied.

Preparing Hearts for His Glory:
Well, you'll have to read about my all-time favorite thing this week on my other post:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2767
But, we had some other favorites too. We loved making perfume - or cologne, as my ds says. :D He has put it on every day, along with his brothers, and coaxed dh (and me) to wear it on occasion too. It really smells good - honest! He used nutmeg and cinnamon, among some other spices, and we all smell a bit like a house full of cinnamon rolls! :lol: We had read about how perfumes and colognes were made, and in history (and Bible) we read about Mary anointing Jesus with perfume - all awesome links to this fun project! :D

We also read about Jesus making fishers of men. Wyatt made a fish from applesauce and cinnamon (another reason I love HOD - it uses things I actually have in my kitchen :D ). He wrote Matt. 4:19 on it to show how Jesus' death and persecution of Christians caused the gospel to spread even further as Christians tried to move away.

Jessi - I loved your pics and am sad I missed using these in the LHTH photobooks. I'd love to put them in the digital slideshow though!

Hope you all had a super week!
In Christ ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:04 pm

Jessi, your daughter is so precious. I loved how she had her goldfish grouped :lol: :wink: :D

Julie, I love the picture of your son working through his timeline. You always do such a good job recapping your week.

We did review this week since we had such a long break through the holidays and then with our Seth's seizure emergency. I can't show you pictures because my I Photo is not working until I get my computer fixed. (Which I hope happens next week) My boys are being tested this week for their annual review and it's a two day event so there will not be any HOD until the following week. I CAN'T WAIT!!! (smile)
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:14 am

Julie- You are more than welcome to use them for the digital slide show. These pics are from LHFHG though. :-) The "cologne" sounds like a lot of fun! Emma would love that!

Mary- I pray the testing goes well for you and look forward to hearing how things are with you and Seth. :-)
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:10 pm

Jessi wrote:Julie- You are more than welcome to use them for the digital slide show. These pics are from LHFHG though. :-) The "cologne" sounds like a lot of fun! Emma would love that!

Mary- I pray the testing goes well for you and look forward to hearing how things are with you and Seth. :-)

Oh Jessi, I was thinking LHFHG and typed LHTH! Sorry ! :oops: I do know your little honey is in LHFHG - I was so happy to hear you were enjoying the plan you decided on going half-speed - I was waiting to hear about how that was going, and was glad to have read in another post of yours that it was going terrific. :D Thanks! :D

In Christ, :D
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

gracelikerain

Post by gracelikerain » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:46 pm

Hi everyone!
I loved getting my weekly glimpse into your school time! :D
We had another great week with PHFHG! We learned about Jesus & how HIs birth was announced in special ways. One of those ways being the Star of Bethlehem. The girls had fun making them!
Pics at bottom. :)
I must say we had so many wonderful deep conversations about God, Jesus & our relationship with Him. I am in awe of how saturated HOD is with God's presence. It is so natural for us to learn about the historical details of Christ & then see & feel how real He is in our daily lives. What a blessing!
We love how Grandpa's Box makes the Bible come alive. The way Fountain of Life & Miriam of Galiee tie in to the historical way of life for Jews, Pharisees & all the different perspectives we get to see of Christ. Very AWESOME!!

Julie, you are 1 week ahead of us in PHFHG! We can't wait to make perfume! That was so cute how your son called it cologne. He is right for men it is cologne!! Too funny!

dd11
dd8

Blessings!
Georgette~
Isaiah 54:13
Blessed with 5 awesome gifts from God!
Trail Blazing 4 HIM!
dd-12-CTC
dd-9-Preparing
ds-6-LHFHG
dd-3-tagging along & keeping life real fun!
ds-5 months

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:00 am

I loved seeing everyone's pictures! It all looks like so much fun!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:52 am

We took a break as we were on vacation .We went to Paris-not so far as we are in the UK .It gave us the chance to practice our French and experience another country.We had a lovely break but we are ready to get back into school.This week lessons in LHFHG IS perfectly timed.We get to cover the early saints -including St Valentine
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD