Week In Review 1-29-09

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

my3sons

Week In Review 1-29-09

Post by my3sons » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:21 am

Ok, Ladies!
What was your week like??

You can post:
a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!
Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!

Can't wait to see all your work!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Re: Week In Review 1-29-09

Post by my3sons » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:09 am

I've so missed this check-in as of late and am glad to be back to it!!! :D I am so thankful for the active learning HOD is bringing to our home during this cold winter. HOD is keeping our dc entertained and learning as we are often indoors this time of year. :D

Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory:
My ds has made an easy transition from LHFHG to Beyond. He feels so "grown up" learning new things in Beyond. He loves math - though he is quite sure there is no need for ME to teach it to him (there is though :wink: ). He loves the hands-on activities we do with HOD. In this picture, we're using the snowman as a "storyboard" to do math. There are chocolate chips for "buttons", and he moves them to show addition and subtraction sentences. He adores subtraction since he gets to "take them away" by eating them! :D I like to demonstrate subtraction problems myself 8) . These activities make doing his math workbook super easy.

This was another one of our favorite activities. He learned he is "fearfully and wonderfully made". I drew the outline of a face and body for him, and he sat on the bathroom counter looking in the mirror drawing himself exactly as he looked that day (notice the matching shirt :D ). There is a pocket on the front of the shirt that we wrote the Bible verse on to hide it in his heart. He showed my dh this the moment he walked in the door!

Preparing Hearts for His Glory:
I cannot tell you how much we are enjoying this. My ds is learning so much, and it is easy on me - no prep, done in about 4 hours - as someone else said "curriculum heaven"! :D Here he is using DITHOR. We're finishing up the Adventure genre, and he read Paddle to the Sea, which he loved! I have to tell you, Carrie and I were looking at high school lit./comp. this week, and DITHOR is doing an awesome job of preparing our dc for that! I won't name curriculums, but there were some high school curriculums I felt were much easier than DITHOR. :shock: Whatever curriculum we were looking at, they ALL used story elements in activities and directions - and DITHOR is so solid in teaching those. I feel comfortable with high school lit. because of DITHOR. :)

I snapped a few pictures of Carrie's son doing PHFHG and DITHOR too and thought I'd post them. The first pic is of him doing fractions in his Singapore math. He's doing so well with his math - he really likes math and catches on easily to the way Singapore explains concepts. The last 2 pics are a few of my favorites of him. He is doing DITHOR and reading The Saturdays for it. Shaw absolutely LOVES to read! You can see that on his face - he is an avid reader and is very knowledgeable about genres, story elements, etc. He ADORES oral narrating and has never been short on what he shares for it :wink: :D - but his joy for reading is neat to see. He's a great kid - I'm glad he's my sons' friend (and cousin). :D

So, what happened in your week with HOD?
In Christ,
Julie :)
P.S. Sorry if you saw the BIG pics I had on a bit ago! I figured out how to make them smaller - whew! You can click on these if you want to see them bigger though.
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

gracelikerain

Post by gracelikerain » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:18 pm

We had another great week as we finished up week 17 in Preparing.
We are really enjoying Miriam of Galiee & Fountain of Life. These books tie in what we are learning about Rome & really has been wonderful to see the conection. I have been blown away at how studying the history of the world connects & flows with Bible history. It really enriches our spiritual walk. :D
Thanks Carrie for such a wonderful program!
My girls are finally writing in script more. My 11dd has the most trouble. I feel she is just being lazy. Lately anything that takes effort has been irritating her. :roll: & me LOL!
Here are our money bags & denarius coins. They were fun for the girls to make. :)
8dd mixing the glue & bread for the denarius
here they are...it was hard to scratch out Caesar in them but they had fun. :D
11dd
we used brown paint for the coffee filters cause I didn't have coffee grounds to dip into....
all done!

Julie, I love your pics! Your little guy is so cute & proud of his portrait! He did a great job!
I haven't done DITHOR yet but I have it. I was thinking of saving it for the summer....
It is nice to see that Carrie's son & your son are enjoying it so much!

Blessings!
Georgette~
Isaiah 54:13
Blessed with 5 awesome gifts from God!
Trail Blazing 4 HIM!
dd-12-CTC
dd-9-Preparing
ds-6-LHFHG
dd-3-tagging along & keeping life real fun!
ds-5 months

susie in ms

Post by susie in ms » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:35 am

Hannah Grace has been really enjoying LHTH since we picked it back up! I think the time away, to allow her to grow more was a good decision. Now she loves the finger plays and smiles all the while we are doing them. And she really, REALLY loves acting out the stories. The other day we did two lessons cuz of it. The song after the lesson we were on was about the Israelites marching around the walls and it falling down. Well, as soon as she heard that she said, "I wanna march around the walls!" So guess what we did? Hehe. We marched (Next days activity). I don't have legos so we used a wash tub we have with toys in it. We marched around the tub and after all the marching, (and hollering) we chunked all of the toys out of the tub. She loves all of this very much!!

I am testing Hannah for gluten intolerance, and I sure hope this is not a problem for her. Those activities that all involve gluten (bread, cereals, playdoo, etc) sure look like fun and many of them I don't know how to change up. I wanted her to do the walls of Jerico with the graham crackers, but that was a no go. No legos again, so we just skipped it.
Last edited by susie in ms on Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Susie ~ servant to Christ, wife to Ricky for 25 years, mom to Trisha 22, Kris 21, Joshua 19 and Hannah Grace almost 4.
Loving Little Hands to Heaven!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:01 am

Susie,

I'm glad you're getting a chance to pick LHTH back up with Hannah. I wanted to quickly pop-in and mention that if you search the board for older posts by Melanie, you'll find some suggestions for gluten-free substitutions. I know some of them were for LHFHG, but it may get your wheels thinking of possible options. Melanie headed back to teach school full-time, so she's not on the board these days. We miss her, as she is a wonderful Christian lady full of sunshine and God's love! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

susie in ms

Post by susie in ms » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:08 am

Thanks Carrie! I will do that search.
I hope things are okay for Melanie!
Susie ~ servant to Christ, wife to Ricky for 25 years, mom to Trisha 22, Kris 21, Joshua 19 and Hannah Grace almost 4.
Loving Little Hands to Heaven!