Week in review 9th January

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

spidermansmum

Week in review 9th January

Post by spidermansmum » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:03 am

Im sorry I could wait no longer.
:D What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:
a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!
Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!

Ok how did I do
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

spidermansmum

Re: Week in review 9th January

Post by spidermansmum » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:21 am

We have completed week 16 on Little Hnads For His Glory.
We are really getting into a good routine with this and Im glad I slowly built up and gradually introduced the whole curriculum ,because DS seems not to have noticed that we are now doing more school work than when we started.We have even added a little french -we are going to France soon for a short vacation.
He was six this week and there seems to be a big shift in what he is capable of doing as far as concentrating on a set task :D .His focus and concentration is improving.
We have been learning about the crucifixion this week.
I have a lovely picture of him preparing his lips for the kiss piece of art work -but I think maybe thats one that he wont thank me for putting out publicly :wink:

Playing the missing item game
We had a haircutting disaster this week-hence the hat :oops:

I love the fact he really understands tens and units now :D and can count in tens :D
currently Using

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:22 pm

We are in Unit 6 of BLH.

I was so excited to read more on the Pilgrim's in Holland. I lived there for 5 years and today I called my friend whose children are also doing Beyond Little Hearts to tell them that I first lived in Amsterdam and than in Leiden to go through PT school.
Anyway, we took out albums to look at pictures that we have with the kids from our last trip to Holland. The boys got very excited!
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:11 pm

We completed an entire unit this week...cause for celebration! We haven't done that in many weeks due to travel, illness, moving, etc. It feels good to complete something. :lol: Today I did the first 2 lessons in RME with ds 5. He did fairly well, thought he did miss some sounds I'd have thought he'd get. Then again, we've been having some hearing issues with him and plan to take him to the Dr....this could be the problem with the things he missed today. He also is doing well with his handwriting, math and do it carefully. He seems to enjoy all three, and I've noticed his handwriting is getting a bit neater.

My other two, in Bigger..., continued to enjoy Ben and Me this week...my youngest asking each day to read "just one more chapter", but I told her we had to read at the pace that's in the manual. They had fun learning about robots, and trying to follow directions while blindfolded. My little one(5) even joined in and he continued to play after we finished the lesson. I also find it interesting that we chose to read Sarah Bishop as our historical fiction book, and though it's not one of those recommended in HOD, it still mentions Benjamin Franklin in our reading. We've had such fun learning about him and his inventions this week, and we all got a kick out of the unexpected appearance of him in our story. I love it when God sets up those connections! :wink: I was unaware of what this book was about when I chose it, but it turns out it is set during the revolutinary war...so even though we're not learning about that in HOD right now, it is American History and I know we will be covering it down the road so they'll already be familiar with some of the terms. Another blessing from above.

We had an xcellent week, finishing before lunch several days, and shortly after on the others. I will be adding DITHOR back in next week with my older two, and hopefully LHTH with my 5 yo...still have to locate the manual. :roll: By the end of next week I hope to have everything flowing smoothly and getting into our 'full' groove for the rest of the year...well, at least until baby arrives! :D

I hope everyone else's week was as good as ours!

gracelikerain

Post by gracelikerain » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:16 am

Hi everyone!
SOOO glad to be back. Loved seeing everyone's work! We had a wonderful week in Preparing. We are on Unit 14 & having a blast. We learned about India, China, Greece & Rome & enjoyed the Hero Tales stories. Loving the Triumph For Flavius read aloud.
I am loving how I am learning so much along with them! :wink:

Here are some photos of our week.
8dd Silkworm Moth
11dd silkworm moth. we didn't even realize that the moth instructions on the page were incomplete! We just follow the drawings not so much the directions!
8dd Panda bear
11dd Panda bear. They had a hard time with this bear! But I assured them their picture would be unique & they persevered! They had a good time poking fun at their finished bears.
8dd science notebook page on dinosaurs
11dd science notebook page. they aren't doing script yet :shock:
Georgette~
Isaiah 54:13
Blessed with 5 awesome gifts from God!
Trail Blazing 4 HIM!
dd-12-CTC
dd-9-Preparing
ds-6-LHFHG
dd-3-tagging along & keeping life real fun!
ds-5 months

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:42 am

I love their panda bears
currently Using

thehergatts

Post by thehergatts » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:16 am

We had a GREAT week doing LHTH! I took a lot of pictures, but I won't be posting them because I still don't know how to upload pics from my new camera that I got for Christmas!! HAHA (I'm planning on working on that today since I'm snowed in!)

We did Unit 1 of LHTH. It was a lot of fun! My kids LOVED A-a-Adam. They say it all the time. They also loved the tape letters. They asked me to leave it so they could drive cars on it the rest of the day. We also realized our glue wasn't very sticky when I moved the cheerio letters and they all fell off!! LOL It was pretty funny.

I'm a little bit concerned about DS2, he is doing such a great job with LHTH that I don't know what I'm going to do with him next year! I originally planned to redo LHTH, but now I'm not so sure.

Overall, it was a very FUN week!
Kristy
- wife to Dan
- mom to Sammy age 9 & Ian age 7

Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. - Christopher Robin

gratefulmama

Post by gratefulmama » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:34 pm

We finished our very 1st ever hs week! I can hardly believe it! :D
I LOVE HOD!! I feel like it is an amazing tool and gift from God that enables me to be the mom I always wanted to be. :o
THANK YOU God and THANK YOU Carrie!!
I had more fun with my 5yr old ds this week than I have in ?? a long time. :D We really enjoyed our one on one time (including playing after the lessons).
So we did Unit 1 of LHTH and the right side of LHFHG.
The two highlights of the week were: # 1)On the morning of day two, when I went to turn on the light in the playroom, my 3yr old ds said: "God created the light. God said, 'Let there be light!'" I thought wow! I won't ever wonder about the impact this is having on them!
Then #2) the next day the boys had run off to play after Chapter 2 of Reddy Fox. I overheard them taking turns being Granny, Reddy, the train, the young dog...chasing each other around. Then they came back and asked, "Since you won't be reading Ch 3 until tomorrow, will you read Ch 2 for us again, one line at a time, so we can 'do it'?" (act it out). So I did. :D It was great. Then when Daddy came home, they told him all about it and said we need a lot a people to play this, Daddy - so he laid on the middle of the living room floor as the bridge, and then the boys and I each took turns "running" over him as different characters. :lol:
I truly love that the boys get to do this (school) together. Again, thank you Carrie from the bottom of my heart for all your hard work!!

Blessings,
Victoria

Code: Select all

[code]
[/code]
Wife to my hero for 17 yrs
Blessed to be a mom through the beautiful gift of adoption 4x!
DS (10/03) CTC, DITHOR
DS (5/05) CTC, DITHOR
DD (5/08) LHFHG
DD (02/11)

funkmomma71

Post by funkmomma71 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:24 pm

I love reading about everyone's week. What an inspiration all you ladies are!!

We finished Unit 18 of LHFHG. We are doing RME and at this point the lessons are really long so I've been spreading them out over 3 days rather than 2. I may have to change that though as we my dd may get bored of the constant review. My dd received the Draw-Write-Now series for Christmas and successfully it twice this week to draw pictures to go with her phonics journal. It was a tremendous boost to her confidence when she showed daddy her drawings and she could say that she drew them herself!

We covered fractions in math, which she seemed to get right away, of course all of Carrie's suggestions went a long way towards her understanding. Thanks again Carrie, for your wonderful guidance. Not only is my dd getting a terrific education, but I'm the one giving it to her, I cannot express how much that means to me AND my daughter.

Today at church my daughter sang one of the Rhymes! How cool is that? She sang it once and then wanted me to get up and do it with her while we did the motions that went along with it. She also wanted to share some of her bible history lesson with everyone at church, which was also very cool. She shared the story of Stephen the matryr, which we had actually covered the week before because I had to split Unit 18 over two weeks, so she remembered the story from almost two weeks ago. I'm so happy to see God's word being hidden in her heart.

As I look to next week I'm not sure how much we'll get done; we should be closing on our new home very soon so God only knows how much time we'll actually be able to devote to school. The Lord has been very good to me, He has shown me how to relax and not worry so much about getting behind. :D That has been good for all involved. :shock:

Nancy
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:56 pm

We had a great week here, too! (I just haven't had time to be at the computer long enough to tell y'all about it! :roll: ) But, here I am now! :D And, I haven't got to read about your weeks yet...tomorrow...but my husband is actually home and will be ready to chat by the time I get this done.

Grant finished the Historical Fiction genre in DITHOR last week. He had a lot of fun making this "face-to-face" poster board. He is Duffy from Pioneer Cat. (The main characters in Hannah and Pioneer Cat are girls...and that just wouldn't do. :lol: ) After he finished this, I had a little interview with Duffy so Dad and the little kids could learn who he was. His favorite "Duffy moment" was when he let go of the rope on the river crossing and started treading water and almost drowned. His advice would be, "DON'T let go of the rope!"
We're on to Mystery now. We had a "mystery lunch" to kick this genre off. All of the kids had a blast with this. We had "Doe Cubes" (Deer Steak...that dad cut up), "Chopped Stalks" (green beans), "Refreshing Splash" (water), "Murky Lake" (BBQ sauce)... I can't remember them all, but the favorite was "Sticky Mud"...a brownie!

Grant had a lot of fun with his art project reminding him to have helping hands like Anthony Benezet.

He also loved the hands-on math activity here.
We each had 2 stacks of cards. One had 2, 3, and 4's. The other had # cards 4-9. We flipped the top card on each stack and multiplied, and the highest answer won. We have played this several times (much more fun than flashcards! :D ) It was a great activity, Carrie! :D

We've also loved science. This week we talked about eagles and how far they can see. Grant made a small "mouse" and then measured how far away he could see it. We multiplied by 8 to check an eagle's vision. We had a bald eagle over our house not too long ago that I spotted when I was out running. We went outside and watched it circle and soar for a long time. They're amazing birds! :o Grant actually guessed right on how far an eagle can see a mouse by guessing how far up it was when we saw it. (He gets this from hunting with dad...I am so bad at estimating yds!!)

Allison and Garret enjoyed acting out ways to be helpful like Ruth. Allison is pouring me a cup of milk and folding clothes. Garret is putting away toys. :wink:
ImageImageImage

They still LOVE :D Tape Day :D
ImageImage

Here Allison is making wheat by gluing popcorn seeds on her stalks.

And, they're painting their "J's". I think this is the first time that Garret has attempted to do anything in the lines. He did so well painting!!
ImageImage

And, I just had to include these pictures even though they were from today. They LOVED playing "Capture the Ark"! We hid the ark of the covenant under a cup and then they had to take turns guessing where it was. (You wouldn't guess that they are both running fevers here, huh? :shock: :D )
ImageImage

Onto another wonderful HOD week!
:D Kathleen
Last edited by Kathleen on Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:31 pm

I haven't written one of these in quite awhile! But I could hardly let this week in particular go by without posting.....it was Joshua's first week of Little Hands to Heaven!!! He had SOOOO much fun! The A-A-Adam was fun and he was so cute with his little hands out to his sides saying "can you believe it?" (he added "it" to the rhyme :D ) and his eyes would get so big and round. If only I could have gotten a picture of that! Evelyn joined in and wanted to add that God made horses. I told her that this rhyme was about things starting with "a"'s so she said "ok, God made Arabians...to run you see!" (she is my horse crazy girl! And she knows that Arabians are her mama's favorite type of horse! Smart little cookie! :D )

Here is a picture of him on his first day!

Evelyn did really well too! Dressing up as Lazarus was definately her favorite thing to do last week!

You can read more and see more pictures of our week on my blog..... http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/holyhart/645000/

I loved reading about everyone's week. Looks like there were a few of us just starting LHTH for the new year! :D
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10