Week in Review 1-2-09

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

Kathleen

Week in Review 1-2-09

Post by Kathleen » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:41 pm

Ok Girls,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Kathleen

Re: Week in Review 1-2-09

Post by Kathleen » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:25 pm

I've been waiting for a chance all weekend to sit down and share about our week with all of you. :D We had a wonderful week getting back into our routine and doing school! The kids and I all loved it! :D

In Bigger, Grant and I have been learning a lot about George Washington. (I'm pretty sure that he thinks George Washington is as interesting as I do... :wink: :D ) We're loving the history readings! Eggleston really does a great job of bringing the characters to life.

Here is some of our science for the week brought to life...

We're reading about John Audubon still and his fascination with God's creation. We investigated an egg as one experiment...
And saw how God provided everything that the chick needs to grow.

After this experiment, Grant wanted to fry his eggs, so it turned into a cooking lesson too! :wink: He made fried eggs as a snack every day this week, and was so proud of himself! :D (Honestly, he may know how to cook more than his dad now. :roll: )

In our book about John Audubon, Grant really enjoyed the story of John choosing a birthday gift for a girl where he bought a silver candlestick and then had a little green snake stuffed and wrapped around it. John thought it was beautiful...and Grant just knew she was going to scream. :lol: She did. :wink: Here he is trying to slither like a snake. He's closing his eyes because snakes can't see very well...and he's following a "scent trail".
ImageImage
ImageImage

I have seen so much progress in Grant this year in his ability to use many of the skills that Bigger teaches. He's able to focus on the task he has and finish it well...and in a timely manner. :D This week we were able to do all the school we wanted to and he still had several hours to play outside, run the trapline with his Uncle Matt who's home from college still, go deer hunting with dad, read, and go "beanbaggin'" with his brother and sister!

Alli and Garret were also thrilled to do LHTH again! Garret said, "Mom, we haven't been doin school for a long time. So, we need to do it. 'Cause it's fun!" We got to knock down a lot of things this week as we acted out our Bible stories about Joshua...and Samson. Of course that was a hit! :D :wink:
We made circle, square, and triangle walls for Jericho that we marched around...
ImageImageImage
Here we used socks to knock down the pillars that Samson pushed down in his God-given strength...
ImageImage

We talked about talents that the Lord has given each of us and how we can use them to glorify Him. Allison said that she can sing and play the violin...and she wants to learn to play the piano and be a "cooker". Garret said that he's good at driving things, and when he gets big he's going to drive Grandpa's skid loader and feed cows. :D (Garret was actually circling us with a tractor during this conversation, and I didn't even think he was paying attention. :wink: ) I have to say, too, that I'm LOVING your devotional Julie! I was convicted the day before I had this conversation with the kids about living a shining example to them of glorifying the Lord in my everyday life. (I was on the "strength of character" chapter.) Thanks for your ministry in writing this devotional for us! You have been pointing me to the Lord through it.

Allison and Garret also enjoyed deciding which things were heavier and lighter...and lining them up.
ImageImage
This week we were out of Cheerios to glue on our "I's"...but we had a lot of buttons left over from a bookmark craft project that we did before Christmas...so we made these extra-special button "I's".
ImageImage
After these were sufficiently admired, they were put into our special folder of things to save. :wink:

I look forward to reading about all of your weeks when you get back to it!
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

funkmomma71

Post by funkmomma71 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:51 pm

Well........I wanted to do school this week but, I not only had to work late everynight last week we also had my in-laws visiting, a house to pack-up and a final walk-through of the new house. Oh, did I mention all the paperwork I had to gather for the finance guy?

We did get one day of schoolwork done, but it was spread out over two days. Oh well! My plan is to finish the Unit this upcoming week I will only have to work three nights, so it is possible, but with everything else going on we may only get through a couple of days worth. One thing I'm learning is that it is OK to not get through an entire unit in one week, that getting to it next week will be fine. I really needed that lesson. We did have a good couple of days of school, the phonics lesson was huge, so it was good to split it up over a few days rather than cramming it all in at once. We also reviewed math concepts and are ready to move on to new things.

Hopefully I'll have more to share next week!

Nancy
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:14 am

YAY for this thread -we started back last week and we completed week 15 0f LHFHG
bbl little one just woke
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:27 am

Kathleen, I love seeing pictures of your kids! They always look like they are having so much fun.

We are starting back tomorrow (we only do school Tues, Wed, Thurs) so I'll have pictures next week. I can't wait to get back into Little Hands. We've took a 3 week break and Samuel asked several times if we were ever going to do school again!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:25 pm

We are using Little Hands For His Glory
We have just finished week 15 and Danny Meadow Mouse.I made my son a knitted fox when we finished ready fox,He had a rabbit when we finished Peter Cotton Tail ,so I think Im going to need to knit a mouse ....
And heres the pictures of our week
Counting in tens
Cleaning a coin
The last supper with various toys taking part
Some Finding the Answers work
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:58 am

I absolutely loved your week in reviews. Your pictures are awesome! We are starting back with JUST the basics this week and your pictures have increased my excitement about adding in the hx/science and bible next week.
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:51 pm

I'm so enjoying reading your week in reviews! We are glad to be back to school this week too. I'm looking forward to posting more about our week when we get a little further into the week. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:21 pm

Well, I wanted to start a thread...but thought others might think it was too early. Yeah, Kathleen, for doing what I was to chicken to do! :lol:

We started back up with school yesterday...we took off the entire time from Christmas Eve 'til Jan.5. I finally got myself going early enough for us to get started with school by 8:30-8:45 both days. We finished Unit 8 yesterday, and we were able to start Unit 9 today. My plan is to continue getting up early so we can finish by lunch...we do have to add DITHOR in, but that shouldn't take up too much time each day...maybe an extra 30-45 minutes, I think.

The kids really enjoyed listening to Ben and Me...they're intrigued by the fact that it's written by a mouse, even though they know it's just 'pretend'.

We all also enjoyed reading about the relationships (volatile and friendly) between the indians and the settlers. It was interesting to read the names Seneca, Cayuga, etc...because they are familiar to us since we live in NY. We know about Seneca Falls, Cayuga Lake, etc. They really got a kick out of that! Now we need to plan a filed trip or two to see some of the places where the indians lived near here. :wink:

Every day they ask, "Are we doing a science experiment today?" All my kids LOVE science, and always want more. It's a good thing...I never got that 'spark' as a kid and struggled through science in school. I find it much more interesting now, and I'm learning all sorts of things I never knew.

We also started a new story time book...historical fiction...and we are using Sarah Bishop by Scott O'dell. It's one we already had on our shelves. So far it's interesting.

The kids continue to move along in math and english. DD finished Singapore 2A today, so will be moving into 2B. She's doing well with her addition, subtraction and multiplication. She is getting the hang of division for the most part, but still needs help sometimes. I'm sure she'll get more practice in future lessons. DS continues to do well in Singapore 4A.

I even got to do some school with ds 5 today...math, handwriting, and Do It Carefully. He is doing wonderfully with all three...and I plan to start Reading Made Easy with him tomorrow. We did not do LHTH today...I can't find my manual now. :roll: :oops: I know it's here, but apparently it has been set aside somewhere and I can't locate it. Once it does turn up we will have a daily schedule for it too. I worked a bit on a schedule over the break, and I think I've hit on something that will work. :)

I think that's it for our 2 days...I may be back to share more once we get further in. Looking forward to hearing how all of you are doing, too.

Oh yeah! I wanted to note that we were reading about New Amsterdam in a couple of paragraphs today in History. I stopped and asked my older two if they knew what city today is located where New Amsterdam was. My dd remembered from Beyond...last year that it's New York City and she remembered that the man's name was York (who took over). I was so excited that she remembered. It's a testament to how enjoyable and memorable HOD can be!