Week in Review: 12-11-08

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

inHistiming

Week in Review: 12-11-08

Post by inHistiming » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:50 am

Well, I had to get this started today! After much time 'off' of school except math, english, and handwriting, we finally got back to HOD full-time this week. I did as some here suggested and started having my oldest read the extension pack on his own, and that has helped tremendously. We began Tuesday...Daddy was heading out of town on Monday, so no HOD that day. We've finished two days (I know, not a lot) of HOD...and it has not taken us all day. It has taken somewhere between 1 to 1.5 hours each day for us to cover Bible, Music, Poetry, History readings and/or activity (whatever is in that bottom, left-hand box each day), storytime, spelling (this week was review so involved me),and science. Then, I'm able to leave them to their independent work. I was able to get some work done with my youngest, too. Yeah, I'm so glad it seems to be 'doable' again! :lol: I think with our move, vacation, early pregnancy sickness, etc. we just got off track. Now we're settled in and I can see us making steady progress. My older ds is on track to begin Singapore 4A in just a few days...which is where I wanted him to be. It will be a little bit into the new year before he gets to R&S English 4, but that's okay. He is moving steadily through level 3 now, and will get to level 4 in plenty of time to finish it by the beginning of next school year. We will work over the summer with both older kids on English and Math at least, maybe all of it. Anyway, I just wanted to 'check in' with everyone finally, as it's been several weeks since I've had any real news. Looking forward to seeing how your week went! :D

funkmomma71

Re: Week in Review: 12-11-08

Post by funkmomma71 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:49 pm

We had a GREAT week! This week we finished Unit 17 of LHFHG and this will be our stopping point until next year.

My daughter is making incredible strides in her handwriting. My husband had a hard time telling the difference between my sentences and her copywork. :D She had her best week, especially in terms of behavior. She was really focused, paid attention and took her time with her work. She loved the Rhyme this week and we did it at least four times each day. She struggled somewhat with math, we covered the numbers words from eleven to twenty; she kept confusing twelve and twenty.

We were having some difficulties in fitting everything in during the "school day", so I moved her handwriting to first thing after breakfast, so she does that independently along with "Starfall" printouts on the other days. Having her do some schoolwork first thing sets the tone for the day and takes some of pressure off to get it all done while her brother naps.

During our Christmas/New Years break we'll do some review of math concepts and continue with her phonics. I think this will help her, and me, stay on track and remember what we've learned so far.

I actually am forcing myself to stop, I don't really want to stop, but I want to be able to have a relaxed Christmas and have some fun!
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

anointedhsmom

My First Week in Review BHFHG Unit 1

Post by anointedhsmom » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:15 pm

Ok ok I know we just finished unit 1 of Bigger but I am so excited to be able to post our week in review. Now I won't tell you how long it took us to get the 1st unit done. It only matters that we got it done 8)

We follow the book and there aren't any pictures of the 1st 2 days but for day 3 we had a neighbor over because ps was out for some reason or another. So while I read aloud their history readings they built Columbus' ship with Lego's. He also made an Indian. :D

The history activity for day 4 was to take a balloon or ball and label index cards with the continents and then place them properly on the balloon or ball. Here's Joshua's continents (he wrote the continents himself too :D )

On day 5 he did the notebooking activity and timeline. Here is Joshua's notebooking page.

We already had a wall timeline so that's what we are using for Bigger. Here is a picture of Joshua with the timeline.

We had a great time and I plan to get a full week done this week. Then we will take the week of Christmas off but then right back at it since we are so far
behind.

Sorry about the 2nd picture. That's a small pic but it comes up so big and if I make it tiny it was too small to put in this post :roll: Have no idea what the problem is.

Merry Christmas!
Blessings,
Paige in TN
Joshua 14 & Jacob 7
http://www.anointedhsmom.blogspot.com

wdworkman

Post by wdworkman » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:49 am

We're officially on Christmas schedule, so just a few pictures of our crafts & Christmas activities:

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/wdworkman/632053/

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:20 pm

Ladies,

I just realized that I didn't get my own week-in-review up last week. I'll do better this week! We actually did school with HOD all week last week and this week, but it's been busy in my spare time (getting ready for relatives coming, and my oldest turned 13, so we had his party)! :wink:

I just wanted to share how much I enjoyed reading your week-in-reviews!

inHisTiming,
It's great to see you're settling in and getting started back with some school. You have had quite the full plate, and I know it must feel good to be getting back into a little more of a routine. I'm so glad your HOD schedule and days are shaping up. Balance is so important in life! :wink:

funkmomma71,
I'm so glad you had a great week, AND you're halfway through LHFHG! :wink: I think your idea of getting your little sweetie started right away on her independent work to set the tone for the day is a wonderful idea! It sounds like your daughter is thriving.

Paige,
I'm thrilled for you to be able to post on the week-in-review too! It looks like you had a good start with Bigger. I loved your pictures of your son, Joshua, with his projects. He did such a good job on his map and with his Lego building! Beginning something new can always have a learning curve, so I know it most likely took longer this first week than anticipated (and may for a few weeks). However, once you hit your stride you'll really be surprised at how much quicker everything goes. It always amazes me as the year goes on how things fall into place. :D

Thanks for sharing, ladies. 8)

Blessings,
Carrie

wdworkman

Post by wdworkman » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:15 pm

Our last weekly blog entry for 2008:
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/wdworkman/635959/

It's been a wonderful break, but I'm getting anxious to start our school schedule again. We should be back to 'normal' on January 5th.