Week In Review 11-21-08

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

my3sons

Week In Review 11-21-08

Post by my3sons » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:50 am

Ok Girls,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Re: Week In Review 11-21-08

Post by my3sons » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:53 am

LHFHG:
Riley discovered “firsthand” how necessary blubber is to keep whales and other ocean mammals warm. Here he has covered one hand with Crisco and one with nothing. He had to hold both hands under icy water for a minute then. What a fun way to learn about blubber!

PHFHG:
Wyatt is really loving reading his dinosaur book right now. The book selections in PHFHG are so God-honoring and living. I’m so thankful for that. Here he is making his own fossils. The objects that had the sharpest edges made the best fossils.
IMG]http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj8/ ... IM2069.jpg[/IMG]

PHFHG:
Wyatt has not been very interested in art-type projects usually. Though he always did the HOD ones quite cheerfully, he never chose to do anything artistic during his free time. This year, all that has changed! He is redoing many of the PHFHG artistic projects during his free time – with his own twist on them. Here he made a flipbook of Elijah on Mt. Caramel. In his free time, he made a flipbook of my dh’s blue car pulling in the driveway (a favorite sight for our boys to see)! Last week, he wrote 3 poems for my b-day. He made a card similar to the one he did in DITHOR, and he used personification in his poems like he’d done with the writing activity in PHFHG. I am sooooooooo excited about this – thanks HOD for awesome activities that lead to learning during free time too!

I loved reading what all of you had to say about your week last time, but I didn't have a chance to tell you. Thanks so much for the fellowship and positive comments here. It is an uplifting place for me to come each weekend! I can't wait to see how the Lord is moving in your homeschooling too.

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

funkmomma71

Post by funkmomma71 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:49 pm

This week we finished Unit 15 of LHFHG. Dina,as usual, had a great time with school. She espacially did a terrifc job of painting a tree for her art this week. She is very proud of her effort and so am I! We immediately put it on the fridge; we only keep one project at a time on the fridge, so it has to be extra special to bump off what is being displayed already.

We had a few rough moments, such as complaining about not liking handwriting. But as we all know, sometimes we have to do things we don't really like and so it was. She got over it and got on with life. :wink:

She stumbled somewhat in math, though I can't blame her as it was a completely new concept. We started place values, tens and ones. At first she was completely baffled and was not getting it at all, but by the second day she was starting to understand. We won't be doing school next week, but we will keep at this new concept throughout the week so that she doesn't lose momentum.

We also wrapped up our third Burgess read-aloud this week. Dina just loves our read-aloud time and even though she sad when we finish a book she looks forward to reading about new characters and escapades.

The Phonics program started having Dina draw pictures and writing original sentences to go along with them. Today she wrote a sentence all by herself, though I did have to correct her work; she took it well.

I had originally planned to go all out for the three days before Thanksgiving, but now I think I will relax a little and just do read-alouds, phonics and review math instead. I NEED a break and I think so does Dina.
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

gracelikerain

Post by gracelikerain » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:28 am

Hello ladies!!
Another week has gone by & I am very pleased with our progress thus far.
We just finished up week 12 in PHFHG. Julie, I enjoy seeing all the that your son is doing. That is great how he is inspired to do more things that stemmed from his studies. You are 1 week behind us. That will change though because we will be taking almost the whole month of December off. Of course we will be doing math everyday! I want to take some time off to focus on Christs birth & make lots of cookies & ornaments & have fun with the kiddos. This will be the first year where I feel at peace doing that. We are not behind in our studies! YAY! Also, we ALL need a break. Funkmomma, I know just what you mean!! I like to imagine doing all our studies even through vacation time because it brings stability to our day. I will have to plan for fun time!
We are enjoying the Dinosaur book too. It is such a blessing to have God honoring books that bring truth to our history.
My girls really enjoyed memorizing a poem. They are done already with that. Now their memory verses are getting a bit more challenging for them so I told them to work real hard & I will video tape them on my camera....they love that idea!!
Here are some pics of our week......
8dd science notebook
8dd big fish-from Jonah
11dd big fish
we will be doing our scrolls this weekend because I had no paper bags left.... :?

God Bless!!
Georgette~
Isaiah 54:13
Blessed with 5 awesome gifts from God!
Trail Blazing 4 HIM!
dd-12-CTC
dd-9-Preparing
ds-6-LHFHG
dd-3-tagging along & keeping life real fun!
ds-5 months

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:36 pm

I love to come and peek into each of your homes here each weekend!! :D It's so encouraging to see and hear how each of your are enjoying the job that God has placed you in to homeschool your kids - even when it's challenging! :wink: :D

I didn't post last weekend, but we've been having a lot of fun! Last Saturday was my birthday and the kids had some fun plans. :wink: (Julie, Mary, and GIna...it looks like we all have b-days in the same week! Happy Birthday! :D )

Since I posted last we've finished Unit 9, Unit 10, and are 1/2 way through Unit 11 in Bigger...

The most significant discussion Grant and I had these last 2 weeks was about wisdom (the character focus in Unit 10). He now anticipates the challenge each week to show the character trait that we're studying and has something ready to do. :wink: Last week's challenge was to "Choose one way that you can work at gaining wisdom that will glorify God. Make sure to do it today." He decided that he really wanted to start reading his Bible every day - and he has! :D :D We also started this week with a great discussion that came out of our Bible study. The key idea after reading about King Solomon said that he was a wise man, who did put God first for awile, but later turned to idol worship. Then it asked, how will you live your life? Will you choose to put God first throughout your life? I am so thankful for the opportunity to have these short but meaningful discussions with Grant, and to see the spiritual maturity that the Lord is bringing to his tender heart. It is wonderful to see him truly desiring his personal relationship with the Lord, and desiring to obey Him! He asked me that morning about following the Lord in baptism so that he has a chance to show and tell everyone that He wants to follow God his whole life. :D :cry: :D

We continue to love all of Bigger, but it looks like I've only managed to snap pictures of Science in the last 2 weeks. :wink:
Here Grant is my "robot" and we're learning why it would be so difficult to prgram one. He's following my directions around the obstacles we placed in the living room. (He had so much fun with this that we repeated it with each member of our family! He gave the rest of the directions, and took pictures! :lol: )
ImageImage

Here Grant is learning about the different types of flight. He's flapping and gliding down from his "perch".
ImageImage

We also experimented with how God mdade the stork able to stand on one leg. (It was quite obvious that they're made much different than us! :lol: After spinning and closing his eyes Grant was on the floor before I could even begin counting!)

My little squirts have done Unit 9 and the beginning of Unit 10 in LHTH.

We loved building the tabernacle with the shiny pillars! Here is our tabernacle and the "gifts" that we brought to God's house.
ImageImage
They also really enjoyed the activity where they moved the tabernacle when the "fire" moved. (They were sure in the Bible story book that the tabernacle was on fire! Since we talked about it so many times, I'm quite sure that Garret has it figured out now, but he was very concerned. :wink: ) Here's our "tabernacle" that kind of fell apart when the got in it and kicked their feet up. :roll:

They also really got into the art project where we made "grape vines" like the spies saw in Canaan. Garret was quite sure that we needed REAL grapes to glue on which we did not have in the fridge. They had fun with the Cheerios though, and we decided to paint them pruple to look more like grapes.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Here are some of our letter activities with "H"!
Hugging on the "H"...
Guling some wild pasta on our "H's"...
ImageImage

We look forward to many more happy memories as we move on in our HOD journey! Allison is eagerly waiting for the UPS man to bring us The Reading Lesson! I think he's supposed to come on Tuesday. :wink:
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:32 am

We have finally had a good week! Life has been interrupting our normal schedule, but we are back on track and thankful that HOD has allowed our school time to always be succesful.
Come and take a look http://escuelitaaparicio.blogspot.com/2 ... amuel.html
Dorla