Weekly Check-in 10/23/08

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

Mom2Monkeys

Re: Weekly Check-in 10/23/08

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:20 pm

I so enjoy seeing all these great pics and all the things we have to look forward to!

We had a great week here too! We're only in unit 3/4 right now in LHTH and Beyond...

I've posted 3 or 4 blog posts so be sure to look at them all! I'll link to my blog and just click on 2008, October... it should take you right to them. http://www.thomasschooldays.blogspot.com

Also check out our nature notebook blog! http://www.kitketkids.blogspot.com
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Lori_in_Austin

Post by Lori_in_Austin » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:45 pm

Mom2Monkeys,

I totally loved your blogspot pictures. I saw that you thought of a name for your school. That made me feel good, because we call ours "Cross Creek." I don't have too many friends that have done that, but I have been encouraging it.

Send more updates when you can.
Lori in Austin, TX
wife to dh "Joe"
mom to two boys:
ds-5 - LHFHG using: The Reading Lesson, Explode the Code Phonics, Right Start Math.
ds-2.5 -
soon to start LHTH with Before FIAR

gracelikerain

Post by gracelikerain » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:37 pm

Hey Lori, 8)

I love the idea of having a school name. My friend gave me the idea a few years ago. I like yours. :D
Here is a picture of our family homeschool name. At my niece's sweet sixteen, they had a man creating shirts of whatever you like.....so I thought to put TrailBlazer Academy on mine.
those are flames of fire cause the path is rough!!
God has me blazing a trail for Him. My dh & I are raising our dc in His ways, not the world's. Amen?? :)

Hmmm....I would like to get a few shirts for all of us to wear. I think my kids would like that. :D
Georgette~
Isaiah 54:13
Blessed with 5 awesome gifts from God!
Trail Blazing 4 HIM!
dd-12-CTC
dd-9-Preparing
ds-6-LHFHG
dd-3-tagging along & keeping life real fun!
ds-5 months

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:16 am

Lori and Georgette, we actually not that long ago had a whole thread about naming out homeschools.... :D

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1583
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

Lori_in_Austin

Post by Lori_in_Austin » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:35 pm

HolyHart ! Thank you for the link to the other post. I read the entire thread and posted my own reply. So many great names!

Georgette, "Trail Blazer" is fantastic. What a great name for an all boy school, too. Thanks for the picture.

Have a great week.
Lori in Austin, TX
wife to dh "Joe"
mom to two boys:
ds-5 - LHFHG using: The Reading Lesson, Explode the Code Phonics, Right Start Math.
ds-2.5 -
soon to start LHTH with Before FIAR

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:03 pm

Hi,Sorry we havent checked in for a few weeks.We had some computer problems,we now have that sorted.It gave me a chance to follow some advice Carrie gave us [in the last weekly check in I posted in] to set a routine.Actually for my change resistant little guys that was both tough and much needed since now its routine -we dont fight over it all.Not that HOD stuff was the main source of our battles,it was the phonic/math side .Anyhow now we have a routine and its getting easier.I even scheduled in some one to one time with the little one-I call it his language lessons-lol- but really its just his time when I talk and play with him.Initially my LHFHG student would really resist any kind of outside class and we now have him thoroughly enjoying a music class-he has been studying Peter and The Wolf and playing with precussion instruments.
So this week we have been studying week 13.He loved the science work with the cold water and hot water and vapour outside and inside the glass.We had a good look at the skin on the water.We have been working on correctly counting into the teens and beyond,and we have also been playing lots of board games.I wanted the little one to learn to take turns and the 5yr old to learn 1st,2cnd,3rd etc and its okay to loose now and then.
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:44 pm

Sam,

I'm so glad to see that setting a routine was helpful in some small way. Things go MUCH more smoothly for us too when my boys know what to expect, and I'm not constantly pulling them away from their play-time to do school. :wink: Glad to hear you're enjoying the experiments at your house too. We just did the "skin" on the water experiment in LHFHG too. My little Greyson was amazed at that one! :D

Blessings,
Carrie