Week in Review 8-8-08

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

Samuel'sMommy

Week in Review 8-8-08

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:27 am

Ok Girls,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement! [/size]

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

Samuel'sMommy

Re: Week in Review 8-8-08

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:28 am

We had so much fun this week! You can read about it on my blog

http://cherish-each-moment.blogspot.com ... nit-2.html
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:57 pm

Well we are still moving through our week as I had to take a break on Thursday because of starting a new baby at my house and then today we went to see Pinnochio at a local theater. But we plan to school over the weekend to make up for it. We are working on Letter G in LHTH alongwith learning about Moses and the Israelites leaving Egypt. We had fun working on the number book by finding beautiful jewelry pictures to cut out and glue. Girls and jewelry - what could be better? LOL

They loved playing "follow the leader". It is times like that I really like having a day care. They all took turns and it was great fun for each of them. Of course when it was my turn to be leader, I had them doing jumping jacks and the phones rings. I answered it all out of breath and the person thought I was hurt! :lol:

Also on a side note: two days ago, the girls begged me to get out my teachers guide at lunch and do ALL of the finger plays with them. They giggled and had fun! So I just wanted you all to know that those little finger plays stuck with them even weeks later. Emma's favorites are still the Letter B and Letter D finger plays.

Tip toe behind mommy during "Follow the Leader"

Jumping like kangaroos (even the little ones thought this was immense fun!)
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:34 pm

Here is a link to my blog with our week in review for our 1st week in Beyond. :D

http://beandipblog.blogspot.com/2008/08 ... eview.html

Gina
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

skillet04

Post by skillet04 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:21 pm

We finished week 5 of Beyond this week. We also took a field trip today.

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/noahsmom/571917/
Swylv :cry:
Praying for another child since june 2002 -- you'd cry too, even DS cries to be a big brother.
DS 07/2001 -- BLHFHG for the 08-09 year
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/noahsmom

slavila

Post by slavila » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:46 pm

It's neat reading everyone's updates!!

Stephanie - I liked reading your blog because we will be doing LHTH week 2 next week, so it was nice to "see" what we will be doing next week.

Gina - I enjoyed your blog because we were doing Beyond week 1 right along with you!!!

Glad everyone's week was well. Now I need to get on my blog and post an update on our first week for you all.
Sarah, Mom of 4.....
ds 6 -
ds 4
dd 2
dd 6 months

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:50 am

This week in LHFHG our big hit was Jonah and the whale. My little guy loves that story. So when that day came, he tagged along for the story and sink/float activity. Both kids enjoyed getting items to throw into the bath tub. And I loved it because they willingly climbed into the tub to continue playing. DD is enjoying Petter Cottontail. And she liked being able to measure items for math! All in all, another great week of school.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:02 pm

Ok...I know I'm a little late here, but I definitely want to share our fun this week with all of you!! (We had a last minute chance to drive to Des Moines...4 hrs from here...to visit my sister-in-law and niece that we haven't seen in over a year, yesterday. We had a quick trip and a nice visit even though it was short. They live in CA, so when they get tht close we can't pass up the chance to visit. :D )

I decided to restart LHTH with my dd this fall. We made it through unit 9 last year because we were hit-and-miss with it. I was doing more time-consuming things with my 7 yo, and once I saw all that was in LHTH I knew it would be great for this year so I backed off with it. Anyway, I debated about whether to restart at the beginning or pick up where we left off. I decided to start at the beginning and it's working great so far! :D (Now we've only done 3 days...but what's not to love? :wink: ) She remembers the fingerplays and the Bible stories, but is in such a different place with the numbers and letters "clicking" with her that those will be at a different level of understanding for her. And, here's our other surprise...my 2 yo is eagerly joining us. :D (And everyone's happy about it. :wink: ) He doesn't pay close attention the whole time but loves joining in on the active parts. Alli likes having him there, and Grant can contiue to work on his independent things at that time, so for now we're going with letting Garret join us. Here are a few picture highlights of LHTH...
After coloring with her white crayon, this was Alli's response. She was very worried about not being able to see what she drew. She's definitely our most dramatic child...
We had fun with this painting as we skipped this activity last fall.
Besides the weekly finger play, the masking tape letter on the floor was our favorite!! Garret kept going back to the desk every day and asking if we could do "tape". :D You can see them loudly "a-a-a'ing"!
"Hunting" for colors was another fun time. Alli loved finding pink, and Garret found orange!
And, gluing beans... I'm surprised at how much Garret loved joining us. He's really growing up!

Grant and I started Bigger on Monday. This is his 1st HOD program and we love it! We really truly love everything about it! I posted about our beginning on the Main Board, and I won't repeat all that, but here are a few highlights. The history book is very engaging...I love reading it! I love the varied way Carrie has written the guides to have them relating to their history. And, my son is really getting it. On Thursday when he went to bed, he found his inflatable globe and was wanting to show dad where the Indies are. He told dad that "this is where Columbus landed and since he thought he was in India, they're called the Indies. But, Columbus had a hard time making it. THe other sailors were scared because no one had ever sailed that far before and there was almost a mutiny...that means they almost threw him in the ocean and turned around." He's excited about what he's learning! :D
Grant says his favorite part of school so far is science. He's thrilled that we will do it every day! (We rarely got around to it last year with our other curriculum. :oops: ) Here are some pics of his notebooking.
Decisions, decisions...new colored pencils!
The finished product.

I know this is incredibly long, but I couldn't resist showing all of our fun! I'll try to cut back a little for next week... :roll:
I loved reading about everyone else's weeks, too! :D I get a lot of great ideas from all of you...plus it's just so encouraging to know that all of you are enjoying what my family is!
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:45 pm

Kathleen your pictures are WONDERFUL!!! Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed it.
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:18 pm

OH Girls,

I LOVED your updates! I visited every blog and just smiled and smiled as I looked at your pictures. Kathleen, your daughters face in that picture where she was worried about the white not showing up was just precious!!!!

I have no update as I prepare for my first big homeschool support group meeting of the year we just focused on the basics. I'll be back the week after next! :wink:
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

hsmomof5

Post by hsmomof5 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:58 am

Here are our final pics. I had posted some pics of our first preschool week earlier last week but here's the wrap up. My dd can recognized A and the number 1. Yay!!!! :D

http://www.lovesschool.com/2008/08/tot-school.html

LeAnna

Post by LeAnna » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:38 pm

Hi Kathleen! I loved reading about your week!! You are getting me very excited too for what's ahead for us!!:)

LeAnna :D
Love my husband of 18 years this year;
Love my 3 teenagers--13, 15, and 16. They keep me young, but hanging on for dear life! :lol:
Used HOD in the earliest years with all three of them!

slavila

Post by slavila » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:52 pm

I loved reading all the updates and seeing all the pictures. I finally got around to putting our week on my blog, so here's the link:
http://theavilas.blogspot.com/2008/08/s ... eek-1.html
We are doing BLHFHG and LHTL!

I'm excited because this is my first update and I hope I have many more to share. Our first week was a success! I can't wait to see what next week brings!!
Sarah, Mom of 4.....
ds 6 -
ds 4
dd 2
dd 6 months

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:45 pm

slavila your blog is beautiful. You have such a great school room. *said with a lot of admiration and just a hint of jealousy* How exciting!!!! So glad your week turned out great.
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,

momof4

Post by momof4 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:03 pm

This was a fun week to read everyone's reviews and see kids having soooo much fun!! :D :D :D

I haven't updated our blog for school, yet, so here you go.....

I wish I could give a glowing report like all of you have. Truth be told. We had a horrible week trying to get back into it. We've been doing 1-2 lessons from Reading Made Easy each week thru the summer and he was doing GREAT! A couple of weeks ago we added math back into the mix. Just 1-2 times a week with the reading. That went great also! So I thought we could add in the rest of LHFHG. He was so excited the first day and we had a great time. He did the whole first day no problem (I was only going to do half, but he was doing so well I kept going). We were only going to do school 3 times a week thru Aug to slowly get into it so our next day was Wed. It was a disaster. He couldn't make it through reading. Words he already read he could no longer make out. Math -he totally could not add which he has been adding all summer long on his own. We quit for the day and tried again on Thurs. Same thing. Friday was no better. AHHH!

I'm trying to figure it out now. Did the material suddenly get too difficult and he shut down? Are there too many changes going on in the house (my 18 yr old is leaving for college this week and my mom is very sick)? Is he just not ready to give up on summer/swimming/playing/etc? Or was he just trying to control the situation? We'll step back this week, slow down and see how it goes. He was doing soooo well and then official school starts! I had to laugh. Laughter seems the best thing right now.

Have a good week everyone.
Laurie
dd's 22, 17
ds 9 - Bigger
dd 5 - LHFHG