Week in Review: Jan 30 - Feb 3

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

waterandclay

Week in Review: Jan 30 - Feb 3

Post by waterandclay » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:59 pm

Ok Ladies,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Last edited by waterandclay on Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

waterandclay

Re: Week in Review: January 30 - February 3, 2017

Post by waterandclay » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:01 pm

We are loving our study of Ancient Rome and our modern history study in MtMM! I love how each week has a rhythm. Both boys were shocked when I told them we only had 13 weeks left of school. Time flies when you're having fun :) Here is week 22 in both guides.

Unit 22 - CtC
http://www.monarchroom.com/2017/02/hear ... it-22.html

Unit 22 - MtMM
http://www.monarchroom.com/2017/02/hear ... it-22.html

my3sons

Re: Week in Review: Jan 30 - Feb 3

Post by my3sons » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:32 am

Preparing Hearts for His Glory:
This was an exciting week because after reading about Jesus' death and resurrection, we read about how the Good News was spread amidst trial and tribulation for new Christians. Their faith and dedication is so inspirational! They lived during a dangerous time to be a Christian, and we talked about how it is dangerous to be a Christian right now for people living in different parts of the world. We also talked about how our country's values are becoming "Americanized" instead of "Christianized" more and more. How we must pray for our leaders, political and pastoral, daily that the Lord will use them to bring our country back to Him!!! One of the ways early Christians could tell if they were headed to a safe place was by the symbol of an ichthys, which was a fish symbol representing that they were followers of Jesus. These were etched in walls and on doorsteps and acted as a guiding symbol to safety. Emmett made his own ichthys this week, and it smelled wonderful! I love how we do all of these fun history projects, but they take very little prep or materials. Applesauce and cinnamon, a piece of string and a piece of paper, were all it took to make this aromatic ichthys! It is now hanging on his doorknob...
Image Image

In poetry we have been reading about Robert Louis Stevenson spending much time as a child being quite sick. Many of his poems were written from his being cooped up in his bedroom nursing some kind of sickness. This particular poem he wrote from the viewpoint of looking out his window. Emmett wrote about an event that he sees out his window. He chose to write about our neighbors moving their cattle down the highway, riding their horses and keeping them all moving down the road past our house. It is quite a sight to see! The prewriting suggestions are so helpful in him planning what to write. He did a good job! For his sharing part of the poetry, he always calls his big brothers and my dh if he is home to come listen to him read his poem aloud. We have been working on accuracy in reading and in timing, pausing only when there is punctuation. I have started giving him a thumbs up as a silent visual cue he got it right at the end of each line. Emmett was not a careful reader before this, often omitting, substituting, or skipping words (which in poetry reading is not great, as it not only mixes up the meaning, but also mixes up the meter). After just 3 weeks of doing this, he has become a careful reader! So proud of his progress in this area!

In science, Emmett is adding to his constellations' book each week. He is doing a good job of completing this box fairly independently, and I'm so pleased as he needs this training to be ready for CTC next year! HIs pictures for his procedure part on his lab sheet leave something to be desired. Alas, something to keep working on. BUT, his writing has improved, as have his independent skills of reading his science and following directions independently to complete it. So, we'll celebrate those gains, and work on the procedure part more...
ImageImage

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:58 pm

Missions to Modern Marvels:
Riley has been working on writing with similes and metaphors in R & S English, among other things. He chose our garden to describe, and while it's not perfectly grammatically correct, I really loved his descriptive words and similes/metaphors! He says the 'out(er) sides of the garden are fences like warriors protecting their helpless quarry,' and 'on the far outside is the cabbage protecting the frailer plants from the savage winds,' and 'this garden is a fountain of food.' We didn't edit his spelling, so you have a frank look at his spelling when he's in a hurry. There is room for improvement! Typically, we edit everything together, but this assignment was missed. I've found taking the time to continually edit all writing together makes for an excellent speller/writer in the end. My oldest is evidence of that, so this is a good reminder not to let any written work escape through the 'cracks' (which basically means I forgot to work on editing with him and he didn't mention it). :wink: Another thing he has been working on in grammar is properly diagramming sentences, especially adverb clauses...
Image Image Image

Here is Riley's latest Nature Journal entry, which he thoroughly enjoys, BTW...

In DITHOR, Riley has been reading "Candy Bomber" - such an excellent book, full of actual photographs of this event! He also read "Orphan Train", another frank look at this time period...
Image Image Image

In history, Riley gave an oral narration on WWII, FDR, the atomic bomb, and the Japanese. It was a typed narration, so I typed as he orally gave his narration...

Riley continues to add to his Economic Principles and his President's Study Notebook. He is enjoying both of these studies...
Image Image Image

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:31 pm

USI High School:
Wyatt is nearing the close of his 11th grade year, and it is flying by! He has about 4-5 units left in his guide, and that is always a wonderful place to be! This week he has been learning about the Civil War, Lincoln, Stonewall Jackson, and Robert E. Lee...

The comprehension/critical thinking questions posed really help Wyatt delve more deeply into the decisions that had to be made during the war. Wyatt loves learning about Lincoln. He asked for the movie "Lincoln" for a Christmas gift. He is really enjoying his history readings, though many are sad, others are inspirational...
Image Image

He continues to enjoy his Chemistry, and his answers show he is doing well with it!
Image ImageImage

Wyatt is almost finished with Foerster's Algebra II, and he will soon be moving on to College Algebra...

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

jerrysgal4ever

Post by jerrysgal4ever » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:47 am

Just finished week ONE of LHTH and Bigger, and we are all LOVING it!!! My 10 and almost 11 year olds gave unsolicited thumbs up to the new schedule. At first we were all a little unnerved by the much shorter readings than we were used to, but by the end of the week and learning more about Charlotte Mason's theories on the shorter readings, we were hooked. 4 year old DD is still asking for "one more chapter" though, lol. I make up for it with her bedtime readalouds. Really looking forward to this new journey!!! Wish I had found it sooner.