Week in Review: January 9-13, 2017

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

rodandmegs

Week in Review: January 9-13, 2017

Post by rodandmegs » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:41 pm

Ok Ladies,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Mikaela - 9th - Bob Jones University DVDs
Eli - 7th - Bob Jones University DVDs
Mercie - 3rd - Bigger Hearts for His Glory
Silas - 1st - Little Hearts for His Glory
Titus - preK Little Hands to Heaven

http://Www.myfullhandsandheart.blogspot.com

rodandmegs

Re: Week in Review: January 9-13, 2017

Post by rodandmegs » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:42 pm

We started back in Little Hearts for His Glory this week, on Unit 1. Silas had a great week, and I feel I started him too early last year. It seems to be the perfect fit now.

http://myfullhandsandheart.blogspot.com ... nit-1.html

rodandmegs

Post by rodandmegs » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:43 pm

Mercie started back in Bigger Hearts for His Glory this week. She picked up on Unit 18, where she left off last year. She had fun looking through all of her poetry pages, vocabulary pages, Notebooking and science experiment pages in her binder from last year. We are just adding to it to finish it!

http://myfullhandsandheart.blogspot.com ... it-18.html

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:01 pm

Preparing Hearts for His Glory:
We are moving now, picking up speed and feeling good about where we are at in PHFHG! Nearing the halfway mark, this is when we hit school hard here in SD. Bitterly cold winter days, icy roads, often gray skies - time for some hot cocoa and some serious homeschooling. We typically do school 5 days a week through these months (we do school 5 days a week many times from Sept. to Nov. too). But Jan. to mid-April especially, we roll up our sleeves and get to some serious homeschool work. We inch ahead more and more, and then, we have some wiggle room at the end of the year for nice weather, for fishing trips for my dh and dc, for my crazy convention schedule, for work picking up, for just the beautiful spring day we long to take off. Love the blessing of choosing our own pacing for homeschooling!!! Here is my little Emmett trucking away with his PHFHG guide...

The kickoff to the new DITHOR genre was a blast! I had an object in each of the bags and they had to ask yes/no questions of me to try to guess what their object was. They LOVED this, and they also loved their new DITHOR books they get to read!

Here is my precious little Emmett researching the Greek amphora on the computer for his history project. He is my 'set the mood' kiddo - so here he is with his candle I bought him for school time only, all lit, apple cider made, and his happiest little smile because life is just that good...
Image Image

And here's the amphora he made himself...

For creative writing, Emmett is really starting to shine! He chose to write about fishing with his Dad, which my dh loved! I had him read it at the supper table, and he was so proud...

This is Emmett's science experiment about twinkling stars that big brother Wyatt helped him complete...

Bring on the metric units in math. Here we measured our kitchen floor's length with a meter stick and converted it to centimeters...

Emmett's cursive is coming along - not perfect - but pretty legible...

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:25 pm

Missions to Modern Marvels:
We have had some good talks about the Great Depression this week! Riley could hardly imagine the 'Dirty 30s' and the dust storms, the poverty, and the lack of necessities. The pictures of people living in "Hooverville" really surprised him. The stock market crash was something Wyatt has also been learning about, and they had some good conversations about that together. It is really neat to see each of them doing so well in their own guides. They have good conversations about what they are learning, and sometimes it overlaps and sometimes it doesn't, but it always lets each of them 'shine' in what they are doing because they are each the 'expert' in their guide.

Riley's Map Trek map of the Great Depression...

Riley's notebooking assignments... he LOVED drawing Mount Rushmore, which is located in our state! We visited it last summer, so it was especially fun to draw it for school this year! Also, his written narration was one of his BEST ever! It was a typed one, which means he usually slows things down and actually does better than usual because he takes such care with what he is saying, knowing I'm typing every word...
Image Image

And moving on to the next units...
Image Image Image Image Image

Trucking along and feeling so good about it!!!
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:51 pm

US1 High School:
Wyatt is just in his prime in this guide. My mom helped out teaching one day that I had to be gone, and she hasn't done that since last school year. She was just amazed at Wyatt's maturity, and they ended up discussing politics long after school was 'over.' :D I just feel so blessed right now with Wyatt. This is truly the 'harvest' of all of the other years of homeschooling with HOD. He is definitely in his element. I really can't find much fault even when looking for it in his school work. He is editing all his own written work before I every lay eyes (or ears, as he reads written narrations, critical thinking answers, etc. before to me) on it, and very little must be done to 'fix it.' What a blessing! What joy these days are together! I'm getting excited and sad all in one that we only have one more year left together after this. So is he. We have loved this journey together, with all of its mountains and its valleys. It makes me journey on with my other two, step by step each day, knowing the 'end' will make it all worth it, and trying to smell the 'roses' along the way.

Notebooking assignments...

Algebra 2...
Image Image

Government...

Grammar:

Chemistry:

The Virginian - a new favorite of Wyatt's!!!
Image Image

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

waterandclay

Post by waterandclay » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:37 pm

I love seeing what you all post for guides we have been in, those we are currently in, and those that are yet to come. It brings back so many memories to see these guides we have done before, but I love seeing the high school guides too. We loved that week in MtMM! It's fun to see how other kids interpret the same set of instructions for art. Thank you ladies for posting!

Here is a peek into our week in CtC and MtMM <3

CtC Unit 19
http://www.monarchroom.com/2017/01/hear ... it-19.html

MtMM Unit 19
http://www.monarchroom.com/2017/01/hear ... it-19.html