Week in Review - Dec. 12-19

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

my3sons

Week in Review - Dec. 12-19

Post by my3sons » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:19 pm

Ok Ladies,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Re: Week in Review - Dec. 12-19

Post by my3sons » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:41 pm

Dec. 12-16
Preparing Hearts for His Glory
Unit 12

Reading about History
In history we have been reading about the Israelites in Babylon. King Hezekiah and Sennacherib make for very interesting reading! I especially like how the Bible is incorporated in the Storytime. A priority for me is for my children to recognize the Bible as God’s living Word, and also as an accurate portrayal of history. Emmett is starting to write his own written narrations a little more independently, as we discuss the questions together, and then he writes it on his own. Then, we edit it together for errors…

History Project
God’s words were often written on scrolls, and when King Hezekiah received Sennacherib’s threatening letter, he took it to God’s temple, and laid it out before God to receive His counsel. He prayed for deliverance, and he was delivered! How much simpler life would be if we all remembered to approach God for His counsel and His will to be made known first, before trying to figure it all out on our own! Emmett loved making his own scroll for his history project.
Image Image Image

Language Arts
In DITHOR, Riley and Emmett collaborated on their Student Book assignment on an All Levels Together day. It was an excellent review of the parts of the story they have learned thus far, and each of them enjoyed having the other guess which part of the story they were describing from their individual folk tale they are reading…
Image Image Image

Math Exploration
Another great strategy for using mental math when subtracting, as well as visual representation of ‘units’ which will someday be solving for ‘x’ in prealgebra…
Image Image Image

Science Exploration
For science notebooking, Emmett copied Ecclesiastes 3:19-20 in cursive and wrote the ‘ingredients for a fossil.’ He also had lots of fun creating his own dinosaur boarder for his notebooking page. Of course he had his good buddy ‘Speedy’ (his favorite beanie balz buddy) overseeing his work!
Image Image

One of his science experiments this week entailed drawing his own dinosaur and having his brother draw a different dinosaur. Then, I cut each of the dinosaurs into 12 pieces and mixed all of the pieces together. Emmett had to then put each of the dinosaurs back together. It portrayed very handily how difficult it is to correctly assemble a dinosaur when its fossils are found, as often several animals bones are mixed in with one another…
Image Image Image Image

Here is Emmett’s Day 3 comprehension questions activity….

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:02 pm

Missions to Modern Marvels - Unit 12

Reading about History and Independent History…
This unit in history Riley learned about the end of WWI, Ghandi in India, and the Roaring Twenties. He orally narrated while I typed his narration, and he then glued it in his notebook. I am a fast typist, but he is a REALLY fast oral narrator! I asked him to slow down, and he actually gave a much more cohesive, well-thought-out oral narration than usual.
Image Image

History Project…
Riley made a salt painting to symbolize the role salt played after WWI, since it was part of the boycott in India as a revolt to British rule. The salt tax eventually led to a protest in India, yet it was not repealed for over 50 years…
Image Image Image

President Study/State Study…
Riley has always liked Abraham Lincoln. Wyatt and he just watched the movie Lincoln recently, so he especially enjoyed researching him this week for his President study…

Nature Journal/Biblical Self-Image…
Riley’s nature journal entry this week…

Language Arts…
Riley is moving right along in dictation and doing a good job with some quite difficult passages! It helped to talk about how to go about studying for this. He pays close attention to capital letters, punctuation, and spelling, as well as reads aloud the passage himself prior to me saying it to him…

Math Exploration… Probability and Genetics…
Image Image

Science Exploration…
What can be more fun than playing a game you made about the Periodic Table in the middle of the day with your big brother? Not much, according to Riley. Wyatt and he had a lot of fun playing this game together! As Wyatt is currently studying chemistry in high school, this was a nice tie-in for him too…

Riley really enjoyed this science experiment with salt, and the results with salt, water, and evaporation rates were so intriguing to him…
Image Image Image

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

waterandclay

Post by waterandclay » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:18 pm

Thank you for faithfully posting pictures Julie :) I love Riley's colorful sand picture. My boys enjoy playing the chemistry game that week too!

Here's a peek into our week:

CtC Unit 16
http://www.monarchroom.com/2016/12/hear ... it-16.html

MtMM Unit 16

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:58 am

waterandclay wrote:Thank you for faithfully posting pictures Julie :) I love Riley's colorful sand picture. My boys enjoy playing the chemistry game that week too!

Here's a peek into our week:

CtC Unit 16

MtMM Unit 16

What fun I had looking at your blog entries for HOD this week! I posted these comments there as well as here... I absolutely love to see Heart of Dakota coming to life so visually and vibrantly in your children's beautiful work! It takes a wonderful curriculum like Heart of Dakota to set the stage, but it is the hard-working amazing homeschool mamas like yourself that make it all happen on a daily basis!!! I think your kiddos have such an eye for detail, and they are creating some truly lovely pieces of artwork/notebooking that will be precious memories down the road. I especially enjoyed the Robert Frost watercolor painting, the Nebuchadnezzar statue cookie, and yummy cookies, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon drawing, and the creative timeline pics. You are an inspiration to so many, though mamas are so busy, they are not always 'commenting' - but they are looking, enjoying, and taking joy in what they see in your God-honoring sharing of your homeschooling days with HOD!!! May the Lord richly bless you this Christmas season and this coming 2017 year with many more such precious memories being made!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

waterandclay

Post by waterandclay » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:33 pm

Thank you so much for your very kind words. It's a joy to share our days with HOD <3 I appreciate all of your compliments of my boys' work. One thing I love so much about HOD is that it has given these creative boys a way to develop their gifts each day. I love the creative elements so much! They especially love the fun cooking projects. The notebook pages will be such a treasure as you said. It's so fun to look back and see how far they have come from our days in Bigger. We are so glad we found HOD when we did :)