Week in Review - Nov. 7-11

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

my3sons

Week in Review - Nov. 7-11

Post by my3sons » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:02 pm

Ok Ladies,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Re: Week in Review - Nov. 7-11

Post by my3sons » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:22 pm

Nov. 7-11
U.S. History 1
Unit 22

U.S. History box…
Wyatt gave a ‘highlighted oral narration’ this week from America: The Last Best Hope. You can mark these books with flags or with highlighting. I chose highlighting as I plan to purchase a second set of books later for my next son. Plus, I just feel its good training for college, as this is what I did to study for texts in college. He also answered comprehension questions from Great Documents in U.S. History in Box 4, and he added to his Book of Centuries..
Image Image Image

History Activities box…
In Box 7, Wyatt responded to the issue of slavery and whether abolitionists caused the Civil War or not. In Box 6, he also took notes on one African American reverend’s struggle to be able to preach, and how who he could preach to was controlled. Yet, he peaceably went on to win many for the Lord –inspirational!...

Living Library…
Wyatt is really enjoying reading about Daniel Webster. He was amazed that children were often taught to memorize one of his speeches in school. He also admires his faith, his hard work, and his ability to use words so well and so passionately to get his point across.

Government…
Wyatt has been studying the Amendments this week, and he has had much to say about the current presidential elections and the issues debated. This has been such good timing to be doing the US1 guide right now!

Constitutional Literacy/Devotional Bible Study rotating subjects…
For Wyatt’s Constitutional Literacy question, he researched whether it was constitutional for only men to attend the VA Military Academy and offer a separate military academy for women. The vote was 7:1 that only males attending the academy was deemed unconstitutional, and Wyatt explained why in his answer to the question…

Bible…
Still enjoying this study so much! Wyatt uses his NIV Life Application Bible, so I do allow for slightly different answers that are synonyms of the provided KJV answers…
Image Image

Science with Lab…
Wyatt loved his experiment he was able to perform for Chemistry this week! All of the boys stood around in awe, as they watched a balloon attached to a water bottle blow up simply from the building air pressure of active yeast. Wyatt also wrote out his lab work from the report as a follow-up to the experiment…
Image Image

American Literature…
Wyatt is reading “The Purloined Letter” for American Literature this week. The follow-up comprehension questions, writing topics, and vocabulary work are difficult and are teaching him so much!

Composition/Grammar…
Wyatt continues to practice and hone his outlining skills in Grammar, as well as review previous skills…
Image Image

Algebra II…
During Math round table with all of the boys, I often make hot cocoa with our Mr. Cocomotion. It’s healthier as it’s made with milk, cacao powder, stevia, and vanilla. We added cinnamon and cinnamon sticks and whipped cream to this version (we switch it up by adding different ingredients for fun)…
Image Image Image Image

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:23 pm

Nov. 7-11
Missions to Modern Marvels
Unit 8

Reading about History and Independent History…
This week was all about entertainment in the Gilded Age, rebellion, and missions in China. Riley’s written narration was about Lottie Moon, a missionary in China who fought against the practice of foot-binding (praise the Lord)! You can also see the rest of his notebook entries, with timelines, quotes, and the political cartoon depiction of the division of China, as well as the entertainment of Vaudeville shows. He had a typed narration about the exposition in 1876…
Image Image Image

Storytime…
More laughs with “Mama’s Bank Account” this week! Things never seem to go quite as planned, and yet they do turn out as they should. Riley is enjoying the variety of creative responses he gets to choose from on the bookmark prompts…

History Project…
Riley made a flipbook of the Titanic sinking this week for his history project. He LOVED making it and flipped through it for everyone in the family multiple times!
Image Image

President Study/State Study…
Riley researched John Tyler, who was the Vice President who became the President very quickly after President William Henry Harrison gave the longest inaugural speech ever without a coat to prove he was healthier than everyone thought he was (but then he died from that exposure). ?!? Riley thought that ironic, and I did too. He also enjoyed listening to our SD State Song for his State Study…

Rotating History…
For Riley’s economic principle entry, I encouraged him to look at the MTMM guide’s key idea and utilize the new vocabulary mentioned there in his writing of his economic principle (i.e. velocity, depression, skyrockets)…

Nature Journal/Biblical Self-Image…
For Riley’s Nature Journal, he drew some lovely leaves, and it goes well with our current changing leaves for the fall here…

For Biblical Self-Image, Riley read Bible verses about God. They were inspiring! Then he chose a facet of God to write his own Psalm about. I told him it didn’t have to be long, but it did have to be from the heart.

Bible Quiet Time…
We have been talking about transformation and the renewing of one’s mind in Romans this week. Our Pastor recently did a sermon about this, and I showed Riley how I had just written those very Scripture verses out in my own journal. They are a theme I am embracing this year! One of our sons’ favorite songs right now is “Transformed” by Toby Mac. Then we learned about our spiritual gifts from the Lord, and how we can share them with others. We then talked about that in church this recent Sunday! Isn’t it amazing how the Lord puts all of these amazing connections in our lives when we homeschool in a Christian way with HOD?!?
Image Image

Language Arts…
A favorite project this week was for the mystery genre of DITHOR! Emmett and Riley made a mystery game, similar to Candyland or Chutes and Ladders, for the book Scripture Sleuth. They always choose to do a project together, and this one was especially fun! It is a good learning experience for Riley to be a leader. His tendency is to do it all himself, but I’m encouraging him to make Emmett a part of all of it too. They are getting to be a better ‘team’ this way. Next year, when Riley will be a 9th grader and done with DITHOR, he has already volunteered to continue to lead the projects. At that point though, Emmett will probably need to lead, and Riley/Wyatt will follow more but still participate as able.

Moving along in dictation and studying present/past/past participle forms of verbs in grammar…
Image Image

Math Exploration…
Riley is learning to solve for inequalities and unknowns in Principles of Mathematics this week. He is starting to understand how to move portions of equations from left to right of the equal sign and solve for ‘x’ now. Hooray!
Image Image

Science Exploration…
Riley performed a ‘magic’ experiment for us. He called all of us to mix his chemicals in front of us, showing how carbon dioxide can change the color of litmus solutions…
Image Image

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:24 pm

Nov. 7-11
Preparing Hearts for His Glory
Unit 8
Reading about History/Rotating History.
Emmett has been learning about the Israelites entering the Promised Land – what joy! His written narration was about David being chosen king. He loves this story, as Emmett is the youngest of 3 sons…

Storytime
We continue to read Tirzah. This week big brother Wyatt helped out with reading a few of the chapters. I love seeing by big boy cuddled up on the couch reading to my little boy. Precious memories!

History Project
Emmett researched the Twelve Tribes of Israel online and in the Bible. He drew a map of the 12 tribes, and he made a color key for each tribe’s different mother. Then, he cut his map apart and reassembled it. What a great activity! Again, Emmett wanted his special ‘school only’ candle lit for the picture…
Image Image Image

Independent History Study
Emmett drew the Ark of the Covenant, and I encouraged him to notice the shading in the Draw and Write Through History example and try to add that to his drawing this time. I also encouraged him to use the whole page, rather than making the drawing tiny. He did a good job! He also wrote about it in cursive in his Common Place Book…

Poetry
We ready Robert Louis Stevenson’s “Looking Glass River” poem this week. It made total sense to write his poem about the cactus desert, as we’ve been learning about that in science and in history. I love that poetry writing is linked in some way to our lives or to what we are already learning! The subject is already inherently connected, and the prewriting sets the stage for success. Emmett’s final descriptive paragraph about the desert shows he knows quite a bit about it! He also wanted his candle lit for the picture…
Image Image Image

Bible Study
Early in the morning, we meet to do Emmett’s Bible study. This is an important year, as 2 days a week he is learning under my guidance as noted in the guide, to have his own personal Bible Quiet Time. I have him hold the Bible in his hands, and we go through the numbered steps in the guide together. I keep telling him this is important training for the rest of his life. One of the key things we discuss via the guide is what mood the Psalm evokes and when he would go to the Psalm for help. It warmed my heart this week to hear him say he went to the Psalm after Riley and he had a little argument, and it really did make him feel better to ‘exhort the Lord’! I told him that is the goal of Bible Quiet Time – to go to the Bible for all things. How wonderful he thought to do it on his own!

Language Arts
I love that dictation even has Biblical connections! This week’s dictation passages were about Noah building the Ark. I love that HOD is inherently Christian in virtually every subject area!

Math Exploration
The Practice and Review pages are usually more lengthy and somewhat involved. I am trying to have Emmett learn to line up his columns for multiplying and dividing. So, the first step is to model how to properly write math problems, lining them up on notebook paper. I wrote the problems for him, and he solved them. I stressed lining up the numbers as he wrote the quotient/product and the subtraction/addition portions underneath, and where to write the remainders. It’s a lot for a little guy to take in! I also stressed this is not the time to ‘save paper’ by cramming problems together. Skipping lines is a necessity in math, as is lining numbers up properly…
Image Image Image

Science Exploration
For Emmett’s 5 science comprehension questions, I have been helping him learn to skip lines, start his answers with words from the question, and use his science book page number to look up the answers to add more detail to them. It is a lot to learn, but it is teaching him good habits!!!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie