Week in Review - Oct. 3-7

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

my3sons

Week in Review - Oct. 3-7

Post by my3sons » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:41 am

Ok Ladies,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Re: Week in Review - Oct. 3-7

Post by my3sons » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:43 am

United States 1 High School
Unit 18

U.S. History… It was especially fun visiting the Black Hills and Mount Rushmore, as 2 of my children happen to be studying U.S. history (and my other son studied it last year)! Here are a few pics, and a rare one I’m actually in (as I’m the prime picture taker)…
Image Image

History Activities… Pictured here are the U.S. History and History Activities assignments for this unit, which focuses on President Jefferson, the LA Purchase, and Lewis and Clark’s Expedition. Using “Great Documents in U.S. History”, Wyatt used an index card to prepare for his talking points oral narration. Suggested topics were included in the US1 daily plans. For U.S. History Activities, Wyatt responded to four critical thinking questions in regard to the purchase of LA from France, and the solutions that gave to a few of America’s problems…
Image Image

Also, here is one of the map activities Wyatt completed for his History Activities part of the plans this week in regard to the LA Purchase and Western Expansion…

Living Library… “The Adventures of Lewis and Clark” is the book Wyatt is enjoying for Living Library right now. Here are is double-entry journal notebook entries…

Foreign Language… Spanish is one of those ‘disciplinary’ subjects for Wyatt – it is not his favorite, but it must be done for a well-rounded education (IMO, as well as our state’s standards). I’m thankful that it has a solid answer key, audio of Spanish speakers to help, and largely written components to be completed. This makes it a fit overall for our goals. I find it is often the few subjects that are a challenge for our kids that promote growth, not only in perseverance in academics, but also in Godly character. Education’s purpose is not to entertain always – though often it is entertaining, especially the way HOD is written. However, omitting subjects solely because they are not a student’s ‘favorite’ thing to do is setting them up for failure in life ahead. Life isn’t a buffet of only your favorites; and neither is a solid education. So, we persevere through Spanish knowing it fits our end goals, and in so doing, the rest of the school day is especially relished, at is is mostly full of Wyatt’s ‘favorites’, and he appreciates that rather than expects it – probably due to Spanish…

Science with Lab… This week was a Chemistry review for Wyatt. His text is clear and concise, and so it the answer key, so we’re both happy…

American Literature… This character study on Jeff, the main character in “Rifles for Watie”, is just one of the many new and fresh ideas used in American Literature this year! Wyatt is already enjoying this book…

Composition/Grammar… R & S English 8 is fine tuning Wyatt’s English skills in so many more areas than just ‘grammar.’ Here you can see one assignment that is more typical grammar work, and another that is teaching writing skills in a step-by-step logical manner that can be applied across other subject areas. I love that he chose a Bible character to write about! A natural idea since the grammar program is also Christian.
Image Image

Math – Algebra II… Foerster’s Algebra II is tough, but the paired down problems chosen by David Chandler, the Solutions manual, and the flash drive round out this excellent math program…

I hope you had a good week as well!!!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:44 am

Preparing Hearts for His Glory
Unit 3
Reading about History… Emmett is learning how to write a written narration this year. This is a new skill for this guide, and I am oh so thankful for the ‘helps’ Carrie has included to teach this well. After I read “Life in the Great Ice Age” to Emmett for Reading about History, Emmett was directed to reread a smaller portion of the reading himself. This is such a good idea, as it allows him to first hear the entire context of the reading and then reread a smaller portion on his own to focus on writing a ‘bite-sized’ written narration. Then, the leading questions Carrie has included further help him gather his thoughts. I jot his answers on a markerboard, and then he looks at them, putting together his written narration orally first as I write his sentences on the markerboard. He then copies his sentences on notebook paper. I edit them, as he still does make some errors. I like to jot the errors next to the line they occur on the left side of his notebook, as his written narration is on his right. This way, he can learn to edit from my notes independently. I love the progression of this skill, and I know how important the teaching process of it is as we look ahead to future guides that simply direct a student to ‘write a narration’, assuming they’ve had the practice provided here…

Storytime… No pics this week, but reading directly from the Bible and then also reading “Life in the Great Ice Age” – such a wonderful way to show the Bible is a history book too!

History Project… Emmett has been LOVING “Life in the Great Ice Age”, and he is learning so much about this time period! As his dad is a hunter, Emmett is especially interested in the hunting of woolly mammoths described and pictured so well in this beautiful resource. When he found out he was going to get to do his own ‘cave art’ research and painting for his history project, he was very excited! He also is not bothered when his painting isn’t perfect. I think this is partly because of his carefree personality, but also partly because of ME. I am less prone to criticize than I was with my first son way back when he did this guide. I regret that. My sometimes constant correcting combined with my oldest son’s somewhat perfectionist personality did not equal as joyful art escapades. I guess I learned my lesson and have lightened up some!

Rotating History… No pics this week, but one thing Emmett is so excited about is his timeline! He loves watching it ‘grow’ on his bedroom door!

Independent History Study… Emmett followed step-by-step directions to draw a woolly mammoth this week. I helped him gain perspective by first drawing the oval for the head and the body for him. I stayed near to help him as needed with the rest, especially where it might be a good idea to use a black gel pen for outlining. He was so happy with the final product! I was too!!!

Poetry… Robert Louis Stevenson’s “Rain” was our poem this week. Emmett did a writing activity describing snow (not a difficult task for him as we have snow about half of the year sometimes). He did a good job of trying to match the rhyme and meter of the poem…

Language Arts… Emmett is learning to diagram sentences in grammar this year. I see I missed helping him fix some spelling here. Hmmmm. Something I’ll need to watch as that forms bad spelling habits if I don’t have him correct it right away. He did a good job on his review though, this week. I don’t grade grammar, as we work through the bulk of it together…
Image Image

DITHOR’s 4/5 Student Book is doing a super job of teaching Emmett prediction, as well as the Godly character traits of loyalty and fairness…

Bible Study… Emmett’s Common Place Book is filling up with wonderful Bible verses he is memorizing! Here is the compilation of the first 3 units, and already I can see improvement as he is now doing cursive…

Math Exploration… Yikes! We jumped in headfirst to long division with remainders this week. Lessons took longer, but little trooper chose a cheerful attitude anyway. I was proud of his perseverance and told him so! I wrote the problems for him on a markerboard, as this helps him out with that first step so he can focus on the numerous steps of dividing. Eventually, I’ll drop writing them on the markerboard, or only write half of them. Many textbooks/workbooks write the problems out for students already anyway, so I’m not worried about me doing so on a markerboard with more room to work. I helped him with every step, but the more we talked through it, the better and better he got at the process. This will take much practice (and patience on my part, which I sometimes lack). But, I know it will eventually come! I shudder to think how he’d do if I just taught the lesson and walked away for the workbook. So many bad habits would be learned, and those just have to be undone later. It is worth it to stay by his side and help. With Math being a ‘round table’ subject for all my children with me, this is easy to do while keeping everyone going forward. Though I do admit it can be stressful having one son fire long division questions at me, another son fire ‘solving for x’ questions at me, and yet another son fire division/fractions/multiplication of exponents at me – when it’s all said and done, I like having math be done in a fairly quick way all at once. It works if I can hold onto my wits!

In Christ,
Julie
Last edited by my3sons on Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:45 am

Missions to Modern Marvels
Unit 3

Reading about History and Independent History… You can see Riley’s timeline entries, written narration about Hudson Taylor’s trip on the Lammermuir to China, and more…
He also wrote his own bold newspaper headline describing what was happening in Korea at that time…

Storytime… “God’s Adventurer” is the second book Riley is enjoying this year for Storytime. It is about Hudson Taylor…

History Project… Riley copied Matthew 7:12 as it appears in the Korean Common Translation. He liked writing like this!

President Study/State Study… Thomas Jefferson and James Madison this week…

Rotating History and Independent History Study… no pics this week! I’ll have to do better in Unit 4.

Nature Journal/Biblical Self-Image… The Nature Journal is tailor-made for Riley. He loves to draw and he loves the great outdoors! What fun he is having with this!
Image Image

Bible Quiet Time… Riley completed a worksheet review of some of what he has learned so far in his Faith at Work inductive Bible study. He did a good job!

Language Arts… Moving on up! Riley completed Dictation Level 6 and is moving on to Level 7…

Grammar is teaching diagramming as well as writing skills, such as how to outline well…
Image Image Image

Write with the Best – writing a topic sentence for his outline of his article…

Math Exploration… Principles of Mathematics Book 2…
Image Image

Science Exploration… Time to do a litmus experiment! Riley learned litmus is a type of dye that is made out of plant materials. This dye causes acid to produce characteristic colors, and adding denatured alcohol to it extends the length of time litmus lasts. Riley liked this experiment so much, he finished it on Saturday!
Image Image

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie