Week in Review: November 16-20, 2015

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

wonderfilled

Week in Review: November 16-20, 2015

Post by wonderfilled » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:46 pm

Hello HOD Homeschoolers,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Last edited by wonderfilled on Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoying Heart of Dakota for our fifth year using:
Ds15- World History
Ds13-MtM
Ds11- RtR
Ds7- Bigger Hearts
http://wonderfilleddays.com

wonderfilled

Re: Week in Review: November 23-27, 2015

Post by wonderfilled » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:48 pm

We had another really busy week. I'm looking forward to a more relaxed week next week. :D

http://wonderfilleddays.com/bigger-hear ... y-week-10/
Ds15- World History
Ds13-MtM
Ds11- RtR
Ds7- Bigger Hearts

rumkimom

Re: Week in Review: November 23-27, 2015

Post by rumkimom » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:34 am

Is this supposed to be for Nov 16-20 instead?? We are at only Nov 21 after all. :D

Here is our review for Nov 16-20

This week we completed 4 HOD days. Our day off was the day dad was home from work. We had a fairly good week this week as well. We completed Unit 10, day 2 in LHFHG, Unit 9, day 2 in Bigger, and are half way though Unit 7, day 3 in RtR.

Clarence (age 7) started phonics once again as we took a break as he just was not getting it. A friend (K teacher) gave us an old version of Hooked on Phonics so we are trying that for now. He is doing so much better with writing his letters now, but he still likes to do them his way rather than the way he is supposed to. It could be because he learned them differently when he was in Haiti.

Steven enjoyed his science experiment this week. It was much too humid to get a ‘spark’ though. He has tried it several time this week and finally get to make one (now that it is cold again and we have the wood stove going, it is drier in the house). He also liked making the wharf. He loved the art project using the potato stamp.

Melody’s favorite thing is science and she loves the astronomy study. We made the volcano yesterday so will finish the experiment on Monday. She is really looking forward to it. She is starting to become more independent but still struggles with some things (narration and research). We did get though 2.5 days in 4 days this week (as compared to 2) so are slowly picking up speed. Yesterday we finish her storybook (Mystery of the Silver Coins) and she was not sure if she like how it ended, but since she does not really like to read on her own she is not sure if she wants me to get the next book in the series. I think she did enjoy the book and enjoys our reading time together. Oh, she is almost done with her pre-algebra book and will be moving up to Algebra after Thanksgiving.

----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)

wonderfilled

Re: Week in Review: November 16-20, 2015

Post by wonderfilled » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:32 am

Oh, thank you so much for correcting me. I don't know how that happened. :D
Ds15- World History
Ds13-MtM
Ds11- RtR
Ds7- Bigger Hearts

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:26 pm

Bigger Hearts for His Glory:
It is hard to believe that Emmett is starting to learn division in math already! However, I know from having used Singapore with my two older sons, Singapore just knows how to introduce a new skill and when to introduce it, even if it seems odd. When you think about it, multiplication and division go so hand-in-hand, why wouldn't you introduce division alongside multiplication fairly quickly. It seems to help solidify their facts, as well as further help them understand how the two are related. HOD's hands-on math activities make it fun, and they also help make it memorable. Emmett loved this activity of adding chocolate chip 'spots' to his ladybugs to divide by 5s. We reinforced the 5's that day by having him sing along with the Bible Heroes Skip Counting math CD...

In history we read about Robert Fulton. I like that we often get to read less known facts about an important historical figure, as well as what they are most commonly known for. Often times we get to read interesting stories about their childhood, and we can just see the beginnings of the greatness to come - though many times (which I am kind of glad to see) the little boys' beginnings of greatness do begin with mischief. :lol: Robert Fulton earned a small income drawing picturesque scenes for gunmakers to put on their guns as a young boy. He also was so disappointed that there wouldn't be fireworks on the Fourth of July that he experimented and invented with a Roman candle that could shoot sparks into the air. Emmett loved reading about this as much as he loved making his Roman candle art project...
Image Image Image

The history vocabulary is a favorite activity each week of mine, as it teaches so many important skills. Emmett has just recently learned to love it as much as I do because he has really taken to drawing and coloring now. He also has become a better writer, dictionary user, and alphabetizer thanks to this activity. It used to be so hard for him, but now halfway through is guide, he is doing well with each part of it. He has worked up from 1 word to 2 words, and soon I will have him do 3 words. It is wonderful prep for next year for PHFHG's vocabulary activity, which will have him doing 3-5 words.
Image Image

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:17 pm

Revival to Revolution:
Riley is absolutely loving his science of Exploration Education in Revival to Revolution this year! Not only is the EE lab a great way for him to have him do hands-on experiments with the material he is learning about it EE - it is also an excellent tie-in to his RevtoRev Inventor Study! He adores becoming the 'inventor' as he does these experiments, and his little brother often races to ooh and ahhh at whatever Riley 'invents' next! :D
Image Image

The Inventor Student Notebook has portraits of each inventor and photographs of their inventions. Riley's written narrations are the perfect follow-up for him to sum up what he has read in his inventor book. He He is enjoying "The Story of Inventions" so much, but he especially loves "Four American Inventors." I love the living books HOD schedules for science, as well as the full color notebook entries...
Image Image

In history, Riley has been reading about the French Alliance and how they helped American finally win the Revolutionary War. He really enjoys adding details to his timeline entries, and he has always been my ds that loves to color. He gets out all of his Twistables colored pencils and takes his time enjoying his timeline activity each week. This week he drew a quill pen to signify France signing an alliance with America, a rock to signify Spain joining the war against England, and a flag to show Cornwallis' surrender at Yorktown (though he got those colors wrong, I didn't have the heart to tell him)...
Image Image

For Music Appreciation, Riley loves to listen to the different composers' music. This week he listened to Beethoven's Piano Sonata #8. As he listens, he gets to draw and color what the music makes him think of. He really enjoys this creative assignment! I think this classical music piece did sound like rain coming down on a peaceful river. We are really enjoying this study!
Image Image

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:06 pm

United States History 1 High School:
This week we were able to start Wyatt's new United States History 1 guide - hooray! :D :D :D We planned to ease into it, taking several days to do one day's worth of plans, because other than reading the introduction and getting the needed resources from HOD, I as the teacher didn't do much to get ready to start this guide. I decided the two of us would partner together during our teaching blocks of times to assemble, copy, gather, 3-hole punch, print, etc. whatever we needed to as things came up in the plans. Well, as it turned out, Day 1 was a snap! Carrie had already planned for us to have a slower start and time to gather things, so we actually were able to do Day 1 in a day. We did spread out the rest of the unit as needed, and whenever the day was scheduled to be done, we quit, picking up where we left off the day before. It worked out great! Wyatt was able to do so much of this prepping on his own, and there really wasn't much prepping to be done anyway.

We did decide to move his Living Library reading to the evening before bed, as he loves to read before bed anyway, and these books are the kind you can't put down. They just happen to be awesome reads that match his history too - what a blessing! He began reading "Dark Enough to See the Stars in a Jamestown Sky," and it was riveting. He liked the double entry journal assignment as a follow-up. It gave him a chance to share important quotes and what he found meaningful about them. I like how this assignment doesn't get between him and the book, as CM would say. He still is enjoying the readings, though there are some difficult things to read sometimes - but then again, that is history. Not all is pretty and happy. But then it is in reading about the struggles that we realize how thankful we can be for what we have today, for God's provision.

I think Wyatt is really going to enjoy his US History book "America: The Last Best Hope" by William Bennett. He really seems to like his writing style, and the "Highlighted Narration" assignment is definitely a skill I am glad to see a part of this year. It reminds me of how I studied for college classes, and it is an excellent way to organize and share your thoughts within an oral narration as well. He misunderstood the assignment at first, and he only highlighted 3 main ideas. He also forgot to flag or highlight the supporting details, but that's alright. I love that dc grow in these skills all year long. This wasn't his one shot at getting this right! He will do a highlighted narration again, and when he does, he will do it better.

Well, those are a few of the highlights of the few days we did the US1 guide this week. It was a sanguine start to the year, like the excitement of meeting a new friend you somehow felt you already knew for sure you were going to love. I hope you had a good week too!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie