Week in Review: October 26-30, 2015

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

wonderfilled

Week in Review: October 26-30, 2015

Post by wonderfilled » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:57 pm

Hello HOD Homeschoolers,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Enjoying Heart of Dakota for our fifth year using:
Ds15- World History
Ds13-MtM
Ds11- RtR
Ds7- Bigger Hearts
http://wonderfilleddays.com

wonderfilled

Re: Week in Review: October 26-30, 2015

Post by wonderfilled » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:59 pm

Enjoying Heart of Dakota for our fifth year using:
Ds15- World History
Ds13-MtM
Ds11- RtR
Ds7- Bigger Hearts
http://wonderfilleddays.com

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:41 pm

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspo ... 26-30.html

Little Hearts: Unit 30
Preparing: Unit 6 (1st half)
CTC: Unit 24
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:17 pm

Bigger Hearts for His Glory:
Emmett has been learning about many different exciting things in his One Small Square Woods book! We read about how tree trunks are made of different layers, and Emmett learned to identify each layer. He learned that each ring has a purpose that helps keep the tree alive. Looking at the visual aid of the picture in the OSS Wood book helped him make a neat note booking page of his findings...

In math, Emmett is learning to count by 4's, and each day's work in Singapore is helping him slowly be able to know his multiplication facts of 4. He had such fun putting 4 pretzel legs on each of the dogs I drew (you can tell I am NOT an artist, especially when drawing quickly for a math assignment :lol: ). He can count by 4's up to 40 now. I did get the Bible Heroes skip counting CD for him, but we have used it only off and on. I hear Wyatt practicing his 4's with him now and then throughout the day too. It is all working together well! :D

For history, Emmett used Lincoln logs to build a tower just like Marion's Tower we read about in history in Stories of Great Americans. He loved the story about Marion being sneaky and slipping in and out of the woods to fight the British army...

We had a wonderful week of school together!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:47 pm

Revival to Revolution:
One of the creative things we have really been enjoying once we got in our groove is the Music Appreciation study, using Amy Pak's CD and Marin Alsop's audio The Story of Classical Music. Amy Pak has Riley putting together an incredible lapbook, and Marin Alsop is the best tour guide of Classical music through the ages! :D Riley loves to listen to the different kinds of music, and he also loves to draw and color what the music reminds him of as he listens. This week, he learned about Handel. Listening to a favorite of mine that was part of my wedding, which was "The Messiah", Riley wrote how Handel took his inspiration from the KJB and the Psalms in the Common Book of Prayer. He also drew a picture of the 3 crosses at Jesus' death and resurrection. Finally, he found the music so inspirational he likened it to a man climbing a tall mountain and breathlessly making it to the top! What a neat study! I did not get his spelling checked, as you'll notice Handel has 2 'l's. :wink:

Another absolute favorites of Riley's this year is the Exploration Education kit and physical science course. He LOVED building his racer, and doing experiments with it has been even better than building it! This is sort of just a natural interest and talent of Riley's, much like my husband, he likes to work with his hand mechanically. His answers in his workbook show he knows how to use the new terminology he is learning, while also having a lot of fun with the hands-on experiments side of the curriculum! :D

Riley and Emmett are doing 2 different guides but have had so many connections they love sharing! Ralph Waldo Emerson's poem "A Nation's Strength" was part of the poetry appreciation Emmett has been reading in Bigger Hearts for His Glory. It matches what he has been learning about the start of our country and George Washington's leadership skills. Riley's dictation passage was about Ralph Waldo Emerson. The two were tickled pink to discover it! :D There have been a ton of connections such as this among all 3 guides the boys are doing this year. Right now, another connection is the inventor study Riley is doing with the inventors Emmett is learning about. Anyway, they wanted me to snap a picture of their Ralph Waldo Emerson connection moment! :lol:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:17 pm

World History High School:
We are nearing the end of our WH guide - can you believe it? I can't! The time has flown by! We have 2 weeks left, and to me it seems as if we have just begun! I am so glad we chose to spread out these last few guides, rather than have Wyatt graduate a year early. He simply is loving his life! He loves the autonomy the guide gives him, and he loves the ability to set up his day like he wants to since we are homeschooling. He is an early morning riser, and he gets up very early to start his school. He likes the time alone in his room to do a few of his favorite subjects in the morning, in a quiet house in the quiet of the morning. When doing his chores and getting ready for school, he is often singing, laughing, and joking around with the boys. He loves his life. It really is an incredible blessing to me as his mother to see him so happy!

The flexibility of homeschooling allows Wyatt to set up his day the way he wants to, to have free time when he wants to, to be with his brothers and enjoy their camaraderie, to have time to work to earn an income for college, to be a help to the family, to go hunting with his dad for an entire week, to vacation when no one else can vacation, to freely express his faith in Christ and read his Bible every day, and the list goes on and on. :D

Wyatt has made it a goal to be a leader to his younger brothers, and to help them whenever he can. A few things he has done on his own... he wanted to school 4 days a week, while the other boys are schooling 5 days a week, and on his day off, he wanted to help teach them. He loves to teach! He knows the guides, and he liked the idea of everyone finishing early together! This helps me too, and I'm so thankful! He also has started singing Emmett's multiplication facts with Emmett, and he has encouraged him to shout out the 4's or 5's or whatever facts he is on each day, while cheering him on! He also has asked to be called over when Emmett is doing his calisthenics for Bible time, and so has Riley, so they can all get into better shape for deer hunting season. He also has teamed up with Riley, so they can both work on memorizing their Bible verses together. These are the fruits of the labor of homeschooling, and they come in high school if we can only press on toward that goal! I see it now. I'm living it now. We're in the 'harvest' with him, and it has been worth every sacrifice we've made. It makes the journey with my next two sons all the sweeter! It also makes me want to slow things down for my oldest, who has become so very dear to me.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie