Week in Review: October 12-16, 2015

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

rodandmegs

Week in Review: October 12-16, 2015

Post by rodandmegs » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:24 am

Hello HOD Homeschoolers,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Mikaela - 9th - Bob Jones University DVDs
Eli - 7th - Bob Jones University DVDs
Mercie - 3rd - Bigger Hearts for His Glory
Silas - 1st - Little Hearts for His Glory
Titus - preK Little Hands to Heaven

http://Www.myfullhandsandheart.blogspot.com

rodandmegs

Re: Week in Review: October 12-16, 2015

Post by rodandmegs » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:24 am

Unit 12 in Bigger Hearts and Little Hearts:

http://myfullhandsandheart.blogspot.com ... -2015.html

wonderfilled

Post by wonderfilled » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:53 pm

I enjoyed reading about your week!
Here's my post about Bigger Hearts unit 5: http://wonderfilleddays.com/bigger-hear ... ry-unit-5/.
Enjoying Heart of Dakota for our fifth year using:
Ds15- World History
Ds13-MtM
Ds11- RtR
Ds7- Bigger Hearts
http://wonderfilleddays.com

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:21 pm

LHFHG: Unit 28
Preparing: Unit 5 (1st half)
Creation to Christ: Unit 22

(Weekly blog link-up for HOD blog is at the bottom of the post!)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspo ... 12-16.html
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

rodandmegs

Post by rodandmegs » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:17 am

Hi, wonderful filled, I tried to leave a comment on your blog, but I don't think it worked. It looks like you had a fun week! I like the way you did the salt picture activity. My kids enjoy the poetry each week, and their favorite poem so far is "The Arrow", which they still quote!

wonderfilled

Post by wonderfilled » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:55 am

I tried to leave a comment on both your blogs too, but I couldn't make it work with my wordpress account. I"ll have to figure that out sometime.
Ds15- World History
Ds13-MtM
Ds11- RtR
Ds7- Bigger Hearts

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:18 pm

Bigger Hearts for His Glory:
Reading about John Audubon continues to be such fun for Emmett! His oral narrations show he has a knack for remembering exact names, phrases, and quotes. I have never had a narrator quite like this before! :shock: He is obviously an auditory learner. He just has a knack for it that is natural, and I feel incredibly blessed because though my other 2 sons are now doing very well with narrating, this 'natural' ability was not as present. Emmett has loved all of the science follow-ups to John Audubon. He loved mimicking snakes' movements by slithering on the floor without using his arms and legs, by bunching up his body and by sliding forward, and by lifting up his head and throwing his body sideways. He loved learning about cuckoo birds and comparing his arm span to their wingspan, comparing his toes to their toes, and trying to coo-coo-coo like the sound of the cuckoo birds. He also loved making his notebook page about owls by using his John Audubon book and his One Small Square Woods book. Such fun! This is science as it should be - alive with movement, hands-on work, and memorable responses to what's been read! :D :D :D
Image Image

One thing I do now and then is buy a few audio cassette tapes of the Storytime books we are using. I like the cassettes best because he can stop them and just push play the next day to start where he left off. This also frees up some reading time for me, and as I'm reading the rest of his subjects to him at this point, I feel alright letting the audio tape 'do' this one. :) He LOVED "The Indian and the Cupboard" so much! Fantasy is definitely a favorite genre of Emmett's. :D

Big brother Wyatt helped Emmett out with his artistic expressions project this week. It was in response to one of Emmett's favorite history stories, which was about Andrew Benezet helping the Acadians, as well as helping anyone who needed help. His story truly was inspiring! Emmett and Wyatt made this 'helping hand' project together...
Image Image

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:32 pm

Revival to Revolution:
Riley has really learned the skill of how to research well from previous guides' work, and now it is just fun to see it all come together with the research he is doing using "The Signers" for his research on the signers of the Declaration of Independence. These men were not all cookie-cutters of each other, and it is truly amazing to see all the different professions, backgrounds, interests, and talents they each brought to the table. Riley has truly enjoyed learning about each of these men, and jotting his research down on the back of each of the full-color portrait cards has been the perfect way to 'record' what he has researched...

For Riley's written narrations, he is working on the skill of dividing his sentences into paragraphs. He is starting to get the knack of it! :D He still has to be reminded to indent, but he is visually separating the paragraphs apart with spacing at least. Riley really likes drawing his timeline pictures, and he often chooses which colored pencils to use to color them very carefully. :) He also loves the period paintings pictured on the note booking pages. They are just interesting to look at, and knowing the historical background and context of the people pictured just makes them all the more interesting...

Listening to classical music and studying the composers using the Marin Alsop audio of classical music and the amazing lap book created by Amy Pak is turning out some pretty neat projects! :D Riley loves to draw, and he loves listening to the music as he does so. Once we got going with this, we have started to really enjoy it! He is a creative kid, and this is right up his alley...
Image Image

R & S English - I love! Riley, not as much, but that's ok because he need not love everything when I know what's best for him. I love that it is Christian, I love that it is a SOLID grammar program, but most of all I love that it helps him apply grammar skills practically to improve his writing every day which carries over into virtually every subject area. LOVE that! Changing fragments to complete sentences and combining sentences to reduce clutter and increase clarity are some of the things he's been learning. Here is one of his written assignments, though I see he missed a period in the first one and so did I when correcting it. Ahhh, well, we are not perfect. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:45 pm

World History:
The Living Library is full of some pretty amazing books and continues to be one of Wyatt's favorite things to read each day. Having finished Lillian Trasher, he has now moved on to "Between the Sword and the Wall," and he is already pretty into that book too. WWI (along with any war really) is one of Wyatt's favorite topics to read about, so this book is already showing itself to be another favorite of his. He and his cousins are constantly playing strategic war board games, like Axis and Allies, as well as Memoir 44, and he LOVES this topic! This book shows the struggles of the Allied soldiers who were trapped in occupied Belgium, and it also shows the sacrifices people made in helping them escape to Holland and freedom. Edith Cavell, a brave nurse who helped and who sacrificed so much to save others, is part of this amazing story too. He has trouble putting it down. :D

The two of us are really enjoying our time together, which usually is spent discussing things such as Total Health/Pilgrim's Progress and the Lit Study, as well as going through his other assigned work he's completed together. One of our favorites is just going through and checking his "The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study." I always have him read the answers from the answer key aloud to me as I look at his written work to correct it. We just get sidetracked all of the time to discuss what he's read! As we do this close to first thing in the morning, it is right after I do my own Bible quiet time, and it is just really special how often times something I learned or read or prayed fits like a glove with what he read and did. Of course that's not mistake, that's GOD'S HAND in each part of us making Him a part of our day together! It's HIM BLESSING us! Pretty special. How I'd miss my son if he were gone and in high school with some other teacher right now. He is an amazing person, and I get to be his teacher! That's how it feels in the homestretch of homeschooling with HOD for me. A privilege, not a chore. A time to enjoy with my eldest who is pretty much all grown up already in many ways. Thank you, Lord, for moments such as these!

Wyatt continues to enjoy his WH History notebook activities, especially as it gives him ample opportunity to express his opinions (and support them, which I like). :D The notebook provides such a good record of what he is doing. I'd not shy away from showing it to anyone - it shows how much he's learning and how much he is able to respond to it in a meaningful way. This is history at its best.
Image Image

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

rodandmegs

Post by rodandmegs » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:16 am

I love reading about your week, Julie. You are a week ahead of us in Bigger, so its nice to see what to expect! My 5th grader is using Rod and Staff English 5, and he doesn't like it either. But, like you, it doesn't matter to me! It is a great English program, and he is learning alot. We do most of it orally, and I make him write one or two sections of each lesson.

wonderfilled

Post by wonderfilled » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:52 pm

Thanks for taking the time to share about your week, Julie. My son in World History also loves studying about wars and one of his favorite games is Axis and Allies (and Chess, maybe there's a connection there).

Here's my week in review of my son in RtR: http://wonderfilleddays.com/resurrectio ... on-unit-6/
Ds15- World History
Ds13-MtM
Ds11- RtR
Ds7- Bigger Hearts

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:12 pm

rodandmegs wrote:I love reading about your week, Julie. You are a week ahead of us in Bigger, so its nice to see what to expect! My 5th grader is using Rod and Staff English 5, and he doesn't like it either. But, like you, it doesn't matter to me! It is a great English program, and he is learning alot. We do most of it orally, and I make him write one or two sections of each lesson.
Hi Megan! Thanks, and I loved reading about your week, too! I just checked out your blog, and I do believe you have the cutest kiddos ever! :D Definitely photogenic, like you! :) I really loved your description of the water to wine activity, and everyone wanting to try it because it was fun to join in. I also thought the tree turned out so well, and I laughed out loud about the George Washington quote that stuck and was was shared with daddy. :lol: You are right - you never know what will stick! All of George Washington quotes seemed pretty timely still today to me and my task of raising all boys. :wink: Thanks so much for sharing your week here, and may the Lord continue to bless you with many such precious memories such as I see in the pictures of all those smiling faces!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:22 pm

wonderfilled wrote:Thanks for taking the time to share about your week, Julie. My son in World History also loves studying about wars and one of his favorite games is Axis and Allies (and Chess, maybe there's a connection there).

Here's my week in review of my son in RtR: http://wonderfilleddays.com/resurrectio ... on-unit-6/
Thanks, wonderfilled, and I just checked out Caleb's week in RTR on your blog! What a super week! He was so cute sharing those message-filled muffins! That was a favorite activity of ours last year. The Viking Quest series has been such a hit here too. They've been read again and again and again, especially as I made them wait to move on to the next one until it came up in the HOD plans. They were a hot commodity ever after! :lol: I really liked reading about your discussion with Caleb about how God has a plan for his life, just like Bree. Those seeds we are planting right now are incredibly important!!! They are tools for life. They begin to develop the mindset that God is in control, He has a plan, and it is good - no matter what. Planting seeds like this now helps our kiddos not only find the joy in the blessings God gives, but also find the strength to stand through harder times. Nothing can replace conversations like this with our children. I'm so glad you are having them with your precious Caleb. We need strong Christian men in our future. I do believe the Lord and you are building one!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

wonderfilled

Post by wonderfilled » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:54 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, Julie!
Ds15- World History
Ds13-MtM
Ds11- RtR
Ds7- Bigger Hearts

rumkimom

Post by rumkimom » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:19 am

I am late in posting again....I will have to try to do better!!

This week we did 3 HOD days, one co-op & roller-skating day and one field trip day (on Columbus Day). We completed Unit 7, day 3 in LHFHG, Unit 6, day 1 in Bigger and Unit 4, day 2 in RtR. We are moving slower than I would like, but that is OK.

LHFHG – Clarence enjoyed the science project where he drew grain, grain with seeds and then bread. It was fun gluing that oatmeal on the paper. He also learned more about patterns. He is pretty good a repeating them already. For his art project he did a pattern for his ‘tapestry’. He also like the Bible stories and the stories about Peter Cottontail…..especially since Reddy Fox is in the stories.

Bigger – Steven likes to draw so drawing the animals for his science notebook was fun for him. He also had fun making the paper with needs and wants as he could cut and paste. He also enjoyed drawing a photo while I read him his poem.

Res to Ref – Melody worked on her history project. We tried to make the game pieces (unit 4) with glue and bread but it just did not work for us, so we ended up redoing them the next day with clay. Melody did a great job on her science notebook as well as her science oral narration. We are enjoying the book for storytime.

Photos from non-HOD....co-op and field trip
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)