Week In Review 7-24-08

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

MamaBear23Cubs

Week In Review 7-24-08

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:51 pm

Well we never really stopped just did here and there but today was actually Day 1 of our our 2008-2009 school year. I am using Bigger with my oldeset and Little Hands with my younger two. I have added 100 EZ Lessons with my son but it will be done slowly. We have done Little Hands once already but don't feel the urge to move on yet since my younger ones are only 3 and 4. I have closed my old blog and have a new one. My new one is for school. It will have what we do with the Heart of Dakota guides.
My oldest put all her school books and supplies in her packpack to take downstairs (our school). She wanted to be like the kids who go to school. So now everyday she will take her bag up and down. I am curious to see how long that will last. :) My younger two loved having their new pencils which were Spiderman and Tinkerbell. We did circle time and table time and that's when DS and I had a disagreement. After that incident we finished off our lessons and went to lunch. There was no schooling done in the afternoon. My younger ones stayed with my parents while my oldest and I did some running around. We was suppose to go to the library to take books back but came home with tons (not unusal for us). My daughter was looking at the science section of the library and I asked if she wanted to look at the other side (picture books). Her reply-these books are much more interesting. :) She really likes science and wants me to add more science. I plan to add more science we move back home. Right now I am just using HOD to make my life eaiser until my other half is able to join me again. Besides she can read all the science books she wants to with out me asking about this or that all the time. :)
Military wife and Mama to 3 (DD12, DS8, & DD7)
Have used: Little Hands For Heaven, Little Hearts For His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts For His Glory,
Bigger Hearts For His Glory, and Preparing Hearts For His Glory.
http://livinglifeonthehomefront.blogspot.jp/

LeAnna

Our 2nd week with LHTH and LHFHG....

Post by LeAnna » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:20 pm

We are having a great week with our lessons!!! Check out my blog for more detail of what we did!

LeAnna :D
Love my husband of 18 years this year;
Love my 3 teenagers--13, 15, and 16. They keep me young, but hanging on for dear life! :lol:
Used HOD in the earliest years with all three of them!

holyhart

Re: Our 2nd week with LHTH and LHFHG....

Post by holyhart » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:03 pm

Looks like you had fun in school and camping (with the exception of getting sick). :D
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

MamaMary

Week In Review 7-24-08

Post by MamaMary » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:27 am

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

MamaMary

Re: Week In Review 7-24-08

Post by MamaMary » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:46 am

Learning as I go!

I know you have heard me say this again and again, but in 11 years of home education I have never enjoyed a program as much I do "Heart Of Dakota". Don't get me wrong I have used and loved many programs, but there was always something missing. When I used Five In A Row I loved how it covered history/science and had wonderfully fun, hands-on activities. However, I had to add so many subjects to make it truly complete and though it was not anti-christian in anyway it was not from a biblical worldview. For me and my home, I've never enjoyed programs where I felt like bible was an add-on subject? I want it to be integrated. I don't think you can separate Christ from history or science. He is the originator of everything! Heart Of Dakota answered those prayers for me. It has all the FUN hands on Activities. Actually I have never found a program where I've enjoyed the hands on as much I as do with HOD, But it also adds in the biblical worldview and is a complete program. On a side note, I love that Carrie made it possible to use all of her suggestions, but if you don't, and want to use your own math/language arts you don't have to re-write her lesson plans to make it happen. HOD is very easy to take and use it in a way that works best for YOUR family :D

This week I learned an important lesson as I finished up my 6th month with HOD. I found in the past, when I couldn't get to hands on activities I would take a week off of HOD and just do our math/reading/bible/lang arts. This week I went ahead and did all our reading and discussion and though my best scenerio is always to do the hands on project we skipped those and had wonderful discussion about what we read and even discussed the hands on projects we were skipping. I simply had too much the Lord had put in my life that trumped the hands on portion, priority wise. (ministry) However, because HOD is a Unit Study/Literature based program we could keep moving forward.

This week was our review week for all of our memory verses and I laughed as the boys became irritated with one another trying to be FIRST to say theirs. Because we were doing review we went back and not only reviewed the verses but I read a loud the whole chapter in the bible and we discussed it. This week we learned more about living in Holland and what that looks like. We learned about scrubbing day, wooden shoes, milk and water carts. We talked about how the whole city shuts down on the first ICE day so the whole town can skate. In science, we learned about storks and how incredible God is in designing their web feet.

I cannot wait to get back to our projects next week, but with HOD we still had a wonderfully FULL week using just the literature aspect.
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:57 am

We've been 'off' school since we got back from our trip a month ago...by the way check out my blog for details on that if you missed it. However, we are planning to start back up soon, probably within the next month. I have missed the structure of our school time, and I can't wait to dig into Bigger...and DITHOR..to see what we can learn. And 'little one' will be doing LHTH. I still have to finish gathering the books we will need for the first units in both and plan out our schedule...then we'll be set. I'm looking forward to reading more about what everyone is doing with HOD, and seeing pictures. I've missed everyone! Hope to see you all back here real soon... :)

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:53 pm

MamaMary, I enjoyed reading how you felt about how full HOD is! We're finding that out too. I'm so fortunate to have basically found it at the beginning of our homeschool journey (we had played around with Five in a Row, but nothing real formal since she isn't even 5 yet).

We have really had yet another fabulous week. This week we talked about the prophets. C and D always love the Rhymes in Motion. I think each week is their favorite one ever! :D The highlight this week I think has been drawing the picture of heaven with chalk. Ours didn't turn out very sparkly, but it was still a very enjoyed activity. This week has also found us going to our local science museum twice and our library twice for various activities, but we still manage to get school in since the children are loving it so much!
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:41 pm

Ladies,

It sounds like you are having such a wonderful time! It makes me almost long to start school back up again, but we're officially on our "summer break" now, so we're enjoying that too! :wink:

I wanted to mention that I am getting used to the new board format and am working on consolidating posts in the Weekly Check-in folder under each week's heading instead of in separate threads. This is because new posters are often confused where to post otherwise. So, if you've noticed your post has been moved under a different heading, that's why! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:53 pm

Mommamo wrote:MamaMary, I enjoyed reading how you felt about how full HOD is! We're finding that out too. I'm so fortunate to have basically found it at the beginning of our homeschool journey (we had played around with Five in a Row, but nothing real formal since she isn't even 5 yet).

We have really had yet another fabulous week. This week we talked about the prophets. C and D always love the Rhymes in Motion. I think each week is their favorite one ever! :D The highlight this week I think has been drawing the picture of heaven with chalk. Ours didn't turn out very sparkly, but it was still a very enjoyed activity. This week has also found us going to our local science museum twice and our library twice for various activities, but we still manage to get school in since the children are loving it so much!
What a blessing that you found HOD right at the beginning of your journey! I bet your children's heaven pictures were precious! I also love that you are able to use HOD and live your life by going to the museum and library. That is exactly one of the main reasons I love it as well. This is so much FUN :D

busybee4

7/24 Week in Review from a Newbie

Post by busybee4 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:03 pm

So this is my first journey with Heart of Dakota. We have actually been "doing school" since mid-June because baby #4 is due in the fall and I wanted to make sure that we had plenty of time to take off and not be stressted about getting back on schedule :) (I am driven by schedules!!) We've only done 3 days a week however because I still felt guilty about a full schedule in the midst of a beautiful summer!! :?

Anyway, like I said this is my first year with HOD and I have ENJOYED EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!!! :D What a precious jewel this is!!! I'm so thankful for Carrie and all of her hard work!! We are reaping the benefits for sure!!

Well I've just begun a blog and although it's not very good yet and there's not much up there you are welcome to check it out at http://www.rubyslippersschool.blogspot.com to see what little I've put up.

We've enjoyed much about these last 4 weeks...and I hope to be more detailed at next week's check in I just didn't want to go another week without saying how blessed we've been with HOD!!!
Krissy, wife to a great man for 10 years and busy Mom to
dd '02 (BLHFHG)
dd '03 (BLHFHG)
ds '05
dd '08 watching it all happen...but not doing it very quietly!!
http://www.rubyslippersschool.com

MamaMary

Re: 7/24 Week in Review from a Newbie

Post by MamaMary » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:46 pm

Oh Krissy,

I LOVED your blog. It was beautiful! Your doing a great job with your lapbooks too! I love the picture of your kiddo's sitting on the bench. (Precious) I just wanted to gently link you to a post about the Week In Review. You can simply add yours to the one already started OR if there is not one started for your current week you can start a general one that others can jump onto. (warm smile) Here is the link explaining: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1644

busybee4

Post by busybee4 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:17 pm

Okay, okay now I see it. :oops: I actually did read that post but didn't understand it all that well obviously. Is there any way to move my post over there?
Krissy, wife to a great man for 10 years and busy Mom to
dd '02 (BLHFHG)
dd '03 (BLHFHG)
ds '05
dd '08 watching it all happen...but not doing it very quietly!!
http://www.rubyslippersschool.com

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:49 am

Oh No, you do not need to move your post. It's not that big of a deal. (warm smile) I know every board is different and it's tricky learning your way around. I really love your blog and look forward to seeing your week in review posts. Are you planning on adding lapbooks to go with your HOD? Can I just say, I'm REALLY impressed. I've actually been to the workshops at convention, I own the DVD from Tobins lab, I own the book, "Lapbooking made easy" and yet I have not one lapbook?

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:20 am

Oh Leanna, I LOVE your pictures from your week in school. Your little Abraham is so precious! You guys did a really good job with your boat. I am very impressed! (smile) I also loved the pictures of your camping trip.

MamaBear23Cubs wrote:Well we never really stopped just did here and there but today was actually Day 1 of our our 2008-2009 school year. I am using Bigger with my oldeset and Little Hands with my younger two. I have added 100 EZ Lessons with my son but it will be done slowly. We have done Little Hands once already but don't feel the urge to move on yet since my younger ones are only 3 and 4. I have closed my old blog and have a new one. My new one is for school. It will have what we do with the Heart of Dakota guides.
My oldest put all her school books and supplies in her packpack to take downstairs (our school). She wanted to be like the kids who go to school. So now everyday she will take her bag up and down. I am curious to see how long that will last. :) My younger two loved having their new pencils which were Spiderman and Tinkerbell. We did circle time and table time and that's when DS and I had a disagreement. After that incident we finished off our lessons and went to lunch. There was no schooling done in the afternoon. My younger ones stayed with my parents while my oldest and I did some running around. We was suppose to go to the library to take books back but came home with tons (not unusal for us). My daughter was looking at the science section of the library and I asked if she wanted to look at the other side (picture books). Her reply-these books are much more interesting. :) She really likes science and wants me to add more science. I plan to add more science we move back home. Right now I am just using HOD to make my life eaiser until my other half is able to join me again. Besides she can read all the science books she wants to with out me asking about this or that all the time. :)
MamaBear, I think that is precious that your daughter wants to put all her books in her backpack and go downstairs. (((Precious))) I look forward to checking out your new blog :)

wdworkman

New Books!

Post by wdworkman » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:11 am

We won't start with Preparing until August - so I don't have a review yet. But, I just couldn't help taking a picture when I was organizing our shelves yesterday. Is there anything more fun than NEW BOOKS??!!!

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/wdworkman/