Week-in-Review Feb. 23-27, 2015

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

my3sons

Week-in-Review Feb. 23-27, 2015

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:47 pm

Ok Fellow HOD Homeschoolers,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Re: Week-in-Review Feb. 23-27, 2015

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:21 pm

Bigger Hearts for His Glory:
It's flu season, and there sure is a lot of it going around, so I especially appreciated our science topic and experiment this week. :D It was about the spreading of germs and what can be done to help prevent it. We did an experiment that Emmett loved! He spread glitter all over his hands, and this represented the germs. He then tried to wipe off the germs, and he couldn't get them off. Then, he tried to rub them off in cold water, and some came off, but many still stuck to his hands. Finally, he washed his hands in warm soapy water, and almost all of the germs were washed away. We talked about how if we don't wash our hands with warm soapy water, they just cling to us and are passed to others. By washing with warm soapy water, the germs are washed away down the drain. He is quite attentive to washing his hands now! Something I have been telling him to do virtually since birth. :D
Image Image Image

This was a perfect tie-in to our history readings, as we read about Squanto's tribe all dying from a pestilence. Captain Miles Standish's wife and other colonists died from a pestilence too. For Emmett's vocabulary word activity, he chose 'pestilence.' This activity teaches so many important skills! He begins by finding the word in his history book. Then, he uses contextual clues to predict what the definition of the word will be. Next, he tests his prediction by looking up the word in the dictionary (another great skill). Then, he chooses the definition that most closely matches the contextual use of the word in his history book. He copies the definition on an index card (always good to do copywork), draws a picture portraying the meaning of the word, and then uses the word properly in a sentence of his own. Finally, he alphabetizes his card according to alphabetical tabs in his recipe box. WOW! This one activity teaches about every skill tested for on standardized tests for the language arts component! :D Right now, I have him doing 1 vocabulary card. One-third of the way into the guide, I'm going to require 2 cards, and for the last third of the guide I'm going to require 3 cards. There are no throw away activities, discussions, or assessments in HOD - all are written for the purpose of teaching important skills. I'm so thankful for that! :D
Image Image

We learned about the four hemispheres this week. Emmett had to put masking tape around the 'equator' of a ball, and label the North Pole and the South Pole. After learning about the Northern and Southern Hemispheres, Emmett had to use the globe to identify which continents were in each of the hemispheres. Then, after putting a piece of tape with an 'x' on the U.S. and turning the globe to face him, he had to identify the Western and Eastern Hemispheres, and use the globe to identify which continents were in each of of those hemispheres. He had to explain how the U.S. could be in both the Northern and the Western Hemispheres. That was a great question and pretty tough for a 7 yo to answer, but after the activity he did, he was able to answer it! :D

Emmett is learning to draw and color better and better. This is a joy for me to see, as this was not his thing before! :D He LOVED the way his science notebooking assignment turned out! He made a "T" column of invertebrates and vertebrates, and labeled and drew pictures for each using his "One Small Square Seashore" as a resource.

For Emmett's poetry study, we read "Each in His Own Tongue" by William Herbert Carruth. We learned new vocabulary within this poem, such as haze, tint, infinite, and goldenrod. I like that was learned these words not by memorization, by quizzing, or by worksheet work - but instead, we learned them by reading timeless poetry, discussing its meaning, choral reading it each day, pointing out its rhymes and rhythms, and then finally by drawing a lovely picture to represent its meaning. This is such a more meaningful way to learn vocabulary, and it is memorable! :D

Finally, we did a neat project on 'wants' and 'needs,' which is another common standardized testing topic. Again, I am glad we did this within the context of history. We discussed how the Pilgrims needed food, water, shelter, and clothes, and how Squanto saved the day by teaching them how to plan corn, catch eels, hunt, and fish. What a great way to go about learning and teaching! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:53 pm

Resurrection to Reformation:
Riley has been reading "Isaac Newton" for science, and he is really enjoying this narrative book. For his science notebooking assignment, he made a notebook page about Newton's experiments and inventions. He also copied from the Bible Job 22:12 - I especially appreciate that HOD's science has Riley pulling out his Bible to look up pertinent Scriptures to include in his notebooking assignments. Science that leaves God out of it is not accurate, and I appreciate the constant reminder that God is the Creator and the sovereign ruler of this place we live. Riley was especially interested in the pocket telescope and the ear trumpet. He enjoyed drawing, coloring, and labeling these inventions. I'm so glad his notebooking assignments are all the result of his creative work! His pages are uniquely his own because he made them himself, and they are special to him because of it. :D
Image Image

A highlight of the week was our family watching Riley and Emmett act out their "Drawn into the Heart of Reading" project. This was especially fun for me because 4 years ago, Riley and Wyatt (my oldest son) did this same project, choosing this same book (The Secret School). We actually videotaped it, which is why I remember it so well. That time, we did it up BIG! I got refrigerator boxes, and we constructed an entire setting for the scene they would act out. I was the narrator, Riley was Ida (the teacher), and Wyatt was a variety of other characters. We invited the cousins, and it was a blast! This time, it was more low key. Emmett was Ida, and Riley was the variety of other characters, and they did it 100% on their own. They set up card tables with blankets to be the Herbert Bixler farm. They set up tents to be the secret school, and they sat on the couch looking out the window to drive the 'truck.' :D We didn't invite the cousins, but we just did it impromptu on a day my dh happened to be home. It was still a blast! :D There are seasons of life, I have found. Seasons where I love to do things up BIG, and seasons where I have to leave the planning and orchestrating of details to my dc. The good news is, DITHOR works well in either season! And truth be told - they might learn more from the season that has them more in charge than when I am in charge! :shock: :D 8) Anyway, meet Ida and Tom...

Riley finished listening to his Storytime audio "The Legend of Squanto" this week. When he heard the last words of the audio, he said with this big smile on his face, "Mom, that was the BEST book on audio I've EVER heard!!!" I guess it was a hit! :D He has never been a child to enjoy books on tape, so I was thrilled he enjoyed this one. He has been talking about Squanto like he was the world's greatest hero ever since. :D

In Bible Study, Riley has now memorized Phil. 1:1-24. I have him say it for me most mornings, as it is good practice. It is amazing to me that he is able to remember it all! It is a large quantity of Scripture verses to memorize, and still he is doing well. Once and a while I have to prompt him with the start of a verse, but overall, he's got it! The Phil. CD is definitely a huge help! Likewise, the fact that we are studying and discussing it in "Hidden Treasures in Philippians" really helps him remember the meaning behind the memorization. I am so glad for this study, as well as our discussions in "Boyhood and Beyond." I think we could reread "Boyhood and Beyond" every single year and get something important to apply to life from it. It is one of my favorite books of all-time, and as a mom of all boys, I find it a huge help.

I feel like Riley is my son I am having a harder time 'getting to his heart.' He is a happy boy, and he just doesn't get into anything too 'deep' very easily. He often laughs at things when he doesn't know how to react, and often the things he is laughing at aren't funny. "Happiness" and "smiling" and "laughing" are his go-to emotions, especially if he's feeling awkward about something. While it's nice he's so cheerful, and I truly do appreciate that about him for the most part, there are times those emotions are just wrong for the moment. :( I am in prayer that the Lord will help me get to Riley's heart with our schooling. I do remember feeling that when Wyatt was about 12 yo that he was changing, sometimes so immature and emotional, and other times so grown-up and helpful. I'm thinking this is what is going on with Riley too, but it is a kind of unpredictable stage of life he is going through - unpredictable for me as his mom and teacher, and unpredictable of him as a pre-teenager. He seems surprised by it too. Anyway, I am reminded how important it is for me to pray for each of our sons to know Jesus as their personal Savior - for them to keep choosing Him and to keep giving their heart to Him of their own accord. Oh - this parenting business can be heavy sometimes! However, it is always a privilege to know my sons as well as I do, even if it does mean knowing their good as well as their bad points. I am sure they'd say the same about me! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:22 pm

World History High School:
Mary Cassatt has always been a favorite artist of mine, and this week Wyatt enjoyed reading about her. His Heart of Dakota Art Gallery Notebook showed some of her most famous paintings. Many of Cassatt's paintings focused on the bond between mothers and their children, which is probably why I like her work so well! :D I enjoyed reading Wyatt's written narration about Cassatt's life and career.
Image Image

For his World History Living Library, Wyatt has been reading "Caught in the Web." Just skimming this book as Wyatt shared his "Literary Synthesis Sheet" had me reading the last half of it myself that night! I just had to know the ending, and I didn't really have the time to read it, nor the energy but, oh my! HOD knows how to pick books you just can't put down! :D For those wondering if the extra time added to the day with no extra credits earned is worth doing the Living Library, I'd have to say it has 100% been worth it for Wyatt. In fact, I gave him the choice, and he still wanted to read the Living Library books anyway. He knew it would add time to his day, but he loves the books and decided it was well worth it. I have to agree. :D

"The Count of Monte Cristo" is another 'can't-put-it-down' type book. Just from skimming it, reading Wyatt's annotations, reading Wyatt's Common Place Book entries, and discussing his reflections - I am going to have to read this book. He is a character I am growing to love, yet I am also feeling such a sense of sadness about the very things that I find somewhat witty or ironic about him. He's a mix of someone to admire and someone to pity. Bitterness and revenge benefit no one, even if they are justified. They create an empty hole that cannot be filled even when they have run their course and seemingly been 'successful.' This book makes me want to forgive 'seventy times seven' - and right away at that. I am hoping to read it cover to cover soon! Added to the list is also "The Scarlet Pimpernel" - oh, that there was more time in the day! :D

Wyatt listened to "You Are There!..." and took notes on The Death of Montezuma this week. He listed bulleted phrases describing his point of view, the actions taken, and descriptions of the person. Finally, he shared his opinion, explaining who he agreed with and why he agreed with him/her. He has to support his answer as well, and this has been such a worthwhile activity!
Image Image

I am enjoying seeing Wyatt's high school learning spill over into the rest of his life. Just this past weekend, we enjoyed taking the boys on an overnight trip to a nearby waterpark. This is a big treat in winter, and we try to do this once a year to break up the long winter weather here in SD. It was interesting that on the 1 1/2 hour drive over, Wyatt chose to write his cousin a birthday card in the style of the 'You Are There..." and also the "Critical Thinking Mock Trial" activities. In jest, he wrote a mock trial of his cousin being 'guilty' of reading a newspaper for fun during 'work' hours. This 'fun' writing activity filled two pages of copy paper front and back and included legal terms that paralleled the terminology used in real court cases. He had a blast writing it, and his cousin who is also doing the WH guide right now, had a blast reading it aloud at his b-day party! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

4Hispraise

Post by 4Hispraise » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:41 pm

Another rare glimpse into our HOD week. Beyond Little Hearts Unit 22...and we are still having fun! :)

http://www.bloomingoodlife.blogspot.com ... ittle.html
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

tmstranger

Post by tmstranger » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:11 pm

Julie,

I love what you said about Riley. I have an 11yo who I just started homeschooling this year. One of my goals has been to really appeal to the kid I know he is deep down. He definitely pushes the "inappropriate" reaction and I think that is to mask his true feelings. It's almost as if he doesn't want to be perceived as vulnerable or "soft." When he was in school, I felt as though his friends had more pull over his decision-making and I needed him home so we could focus on character. He is an awesome kid and I know this is a time of change for him. I want him to feel my support, but my ultimate goal is for him to find that relationship with God and to find support there.

Thank you for sharing.
Michelle

tmstranger

Post by tmstranger » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:13 pm

Shelly, I love the story about learning to skip! I LOVE watching my 7 yo skip (he just learned last year) and you just can't be unhappy while skipping! It always puts a smile on my face and his!

Michelle

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:18 pm

tmstranger wrote:Julie,

I love what you said about Riley. I have an 11yo who I just started homeschooling this year. One of my goals has been to really appeal to the kid I know he is deep down. He definitely pushes the "inappropriate" reaction and I think that is to mask his true feelings. It's almost as if he doesn't want to be perceived as vulnerable or "soft." When he was in school, I felt as though his friends had more pull over his decision-making and I needed him home so we could focus on character. He is an awesome kid and I know this is a time of change for him. I want him to feel my support, but my ultimate goal is for him to find that relationship with God and to find support there.

Thank you for sharing.
Michelle
Thanks, Michelle! It is nice to know others are going through this with me! Just today at church, I felt the Lord give me some encouragement. I looked at Riley while we were singing "I Will Rise" with the worship team, and he was singing very earnestly, and he had his little hands reaching out a little, no one else probably even noticed, palms out and up as he sang. I am not a person who raises my hands often - we didn't do that in our church growing up, and I don't like to draw any attention - self-conscious I guess. Anyway, if I am feeling very connected with the Lord, I will do that, usually at home when I am singing alone in the kitchen to praise music... usually looking out my kitchen window with the sun coming in. Riley has walked in on me a few times doing this and asked what I am doing. I let him know I'm singing to an audience of 1, my Lord, my Father, and just feeling that I love Him so much. To see him make that little gesture and sing so earnestly was very special to me for this reason. I think more is happening inside than outwardly shows. God is at work in our little sons! We as moms just need to keep encouraging one another here and pray and trust in the Lord. Thank you for empathizing and for sharing about your ds here too! It is nice to know I'm not alone in these thoughts and concerns.

Love in Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie