Message Board Favorites Week-in-Review Dec. 22-26

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

my3sons

Message Board Favorites Week-in-Review Dec. 22-26

Post by my3sons » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:03 pm

**PLEASE COPY YOUR POST TO THE SAME THREAD ON THE MAIN BOARD TOO! :D ***
Ok Fellow HOD Homeschoolers,

As this past week was Christmas, and we were all getting ready to celebrate Christ's birth, I am sure most families took a break! So, instead of sharing about our specific week of homeschooling, I thought it might be fun to share our HOD Message Board Favorites here! :D

What are some of YOUR all-time favorite threads/posts from the HOD Message Board?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- An HOD Board Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement for the Message Board!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Last edited by my3sons on Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Re: Message Board Favorites Week-in-Review Dec. 22-26

Post by my3sons » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:28 pm

This is a tribute to how amazing I find the HOD Message Board to be! :D I got some coffee and sat down to look through the board for some of my favorites, and hours later here are the findings! I've copied the thread title and the link, and given each thread an 'award' for why I chose it! :D :D :D I hope you will all join me by posting some of your Message Board Favorites here too! :)

AWARD GIVEN: Best Placement Discussion
Is it time to uncombine? UPDATE!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15601&start=30
I love this thread because it shows how ladies on this board use their different success stories with placement to help others ponder the best placement for their families! Many different viewpoints were graciously given, and ladies shared pros and cons to each placement scenario, until the poster - our own bethelmommy - came to the decision of what she felt most led to do. Then, she gave that plan a trial run, had even more information about what would be best, and landed on the best placement moving forward. An added bonus for all of us - she took time to share an UPDATE! That always helps everyone feel so good about having helped!

AWARD GIVEN: Best Coming Home to HOD
Placement Dilemma
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15268
This is a super thread about checking to see if the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, and returning to HOD with joy! Our own daybreaking openly shared her experience of giving textbooks a whirl, and then she asked some great questions of ladies on the board about looking with fresh eyes at placement moving forward. I just love how all worked together on this, and of course I love having daybreaking on the board!

AWARD GIVEN: Best Trip Down Memory Lane
Our Experiences with HOD
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15589
In this thread, our own snadig takes us on a heartfelt journey of her reflecting back on using various HOD guides. I just love her insights, and I also think that it is important for all of us to take time to celebrate the journey and take time to really notice progress! These kind of posts are so helpful, and they are a reminder that taking time to smell the roses rather than having the attitude to just 'get through the day' can really make all the difference in our attitude toward homeschooling!

AWARD GIVEN: Best High School Grading Discussion
Grading in the World Geography Guide. . . .
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15348
I used to think of grading high school work as a future homeschool high school teacher and almost hyperventilate (and I have a degree that would allow me to be a high school principal). :shock: :lol: :? This thread shows how HOD has planned help in place for grading in high school, how it really isn't as much of a stressor as we think it is going to be, and how Carrie carefully written high school guides so dc learning to function as high school students and parents learning to function as high school teachers are wildly successful!!! :D Two years into HOD high school, and my ds and I can confidently say, "We can DO this!"

AWARD GIVEN: Best Highly Anticipated Thread
Sneak Peeks 2014: New World History Guide
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14776
We were all checking the boards for these posts about the new high school World History guide! This was definitely the most highly anticipated thread of the year, and it did not disappoint! All of the sneak peeks into the new WH guide helped our message board be on the cutting edge of Carrie's writing! What an awesome way to get excited for what is to come! :D

AWARD GIVEN: Best Why Are You Using HOD? Discussion
Why and How Long?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15342
What a good question! I just enjoyed reading everyone's responses to this thread. It is important to know why you are doing something to continue to feel successful doing it! These ladies know what they want, know what they're doing, and know where they're headed. Very encouraging!

AWARD GIVEN: Best Empathy for HOD Non-Users :wink:
I feel bad for other homeschooling moms!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10386
Our own imercon posted a thought that is constantly running through my head - "I feel so bad for other homeschooling moms not using HOD!" Seriously, not joking. I talk with other homeschool moms that are stressed to the max homeschooling for various reasons... their kids are homeschooling on a computer all day long and they never interact with them, their kids are reading dry textbooks and don't want to read one more thing, their kids have no relationship with the Lord because their homeschooling is not Christ-centered, their kids are tired of worksheet after worksheet and test after test and are begging for hands-on activities, their kids are homeschooled in a setting other than their home by a teacher other than their mom and the moms feel like they don't know their kids at all, the moms are planning all weekend and prepping for school all night, the moms are running here or there for books/resources/materials that are not in their home, and the list goes on. I just want to hug them, and say, "Come on over to HOD!!! Homeschooling can be a JOY!" Yeah, I do feel bad for other homeschooling moms. All the more reason to share HOD with them! :D

AWARD GIVEN: Best Discussion on Use of Guides
Am I the Only One Who Has.....
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12891
I laughed out loud reading this thread! How you use your guides may change as you continue to homeschool - or it may remain the same! Anyway, great discussion about how HOD guides are used in the day to day! :lol:

AWARDS GIVEN: Oldies But Goodies
Let's Share Our Schedules!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2093

Do You Chunk Your Boxes Or Disperse?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2125

Best tips for peace, sanity, or really helpful stuff!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4929

Why are you homeschooling? Knowing your goals:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10632&p=78391#p78391

Why do you “heart” HOD?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8268&p=60839#p60839

The Reasons Behind HOD's Choices:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6248

A Series of Posts on Common Questions
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9344

All of the above threads have stood the test of time and are wonderful to reread, reread, and reread! Well, this was such FUN! I told Carrie I was doing this, and she is excited to see some threads you all enjoyed too! I'll post it on the Main Board, as it is kind of a different post than the usual Weekly Check-In thread.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie